Author Topic: Types of franchise  (Read 3789 times)

Offline yaodai

• Exwire
  • I have a crowbar!
Re: Types of franchise
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2014, 08:33:57 PM »
I'm the only one who's going for the second choice without even blinking?

Because If my heroes are going to have past, I prefer it to be multiple choice.
Now, paraphrasing to the side, I really like looking at the story from many different angles, checking out what could change if I add or reduce something from the story. I like observing/guessing what could have been. Just tiny little detail here and not there and the whole history could end up completely different!

It is fascinating and the other media - games, side novel, even RPG guides are just adding more and more to the universe. And thanks to having so many options on the plate I simply can choose my favorites and ignore everything else. Or borrow things I fancy from here and there to create my own timeline, just because I can.

Offline Elaedan

• Intermediate First Class
  • Oni-san, kochira, te no naru hou e
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2014, 09:18:43 PM »
^Well, good point Yao: one of my friend tried to cheer me up with that fact while I was (and still am) sad of how Disney and some writers ruin the Star Wars universe without listening to fan's opinions. She said you may building hour own Canon Universe, but sadly I am not te type who would be pleased by that. I like hard cold facts and just the knowledge that 'I am behind this without any other authority' isn't enough for me. It is also bit lonely to keep own AU universe which nobody else like besides you.

So I also prefer that the series shouldn't expand too much outside of the hands of it's creator (many series have suffered from it). Shingeki no kyojin has many good spin-offspring written by others but I feel that no one else except Katou can keep AnE 'whole'. It would feel different entirely if the ideas and concepts weren't Katou-sensei's.

But I definitely wouldn't mind anime remakes and light novels as long as they are quite loyal to Katou or she has the last word on them (mostly speaking of novels, anime is different matter).
~魔神の落胤~

Offline yaodai

• Exwire
  • I have a crowbar!
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2014, 06:29:20 AM »
Well, if you are a fan of DC superheroes, then it is really hard to stick to one single bath of the hard facts ;)
(Especially now, it is just safer to ignore any new title or act like  they are just lolcontent, because they went crazy. Again.)

Yeah, it's the truth, other people writing something official in the universe can break it rather severely. On the other hand, you can just ignore trainwreck and have your eyes on for titles that are actually good (trust me, I have a thing for Dragonlance. Ignoring half of the franchise is the only sane thing to do). And then, there is fanfiction. An almighty tool to share your own lonely universe with other people. Suddenly, it's not lonely anymore ^^
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 06:32:20 AM by yaodai »

Offline NeeNee

• Administrator
  • Senior First Class
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2014, 10:41:39 PM »
I'm the only one who's going for the second choice without even blinking?

Because If my heroes are going to have past, I prefer it to be multiple choice.
Now, paraphrasing to the side, I really like looking at the story from many different angles, checking out what could change if I add or reduce something from the story. I like observing/guessing what could have been. Just tiny little detail here and not there and the whole history could end up completely different!

It is fascinating and the other media - games, side novel, even RPG guides are just adding more and more to the universe. And thanks to having so many options on the plate I simply can choose my favorites and ignore everything else. Or borrow things I fancy from here and there to create my own timeline, just because I can.

Oh, I have no problem with AU storylines. Those can be quite fun. I like 'what if' fanfics too.

But I prefer to have some kind of common ground, you know? One series that everyone regards as canon. One characterisation that can be considered 'original'. After that, you can add more stories (movies, games, ...) as you like, but you're all working from the same starting point.

Without that, it's difficult to be in a fandom (for me), because you're fans of the same thing and yet you aren't. So I prefer one main (or original) story, and then several side stories that go with it. That way, you can still decide to like the side stories better, but you know where you're all coming from.

Online GregoryRaino

• tuchkasRainoNN
  • Paladin