Author Topic: Smalltalk  (Read 181928 times)

Offline Wikkelsoee

• Intermediate First Class
Re: Smalltalk
« Reply #1620 on: August 19, 2018, 12:30:23 PM »
Good to know you figured it out, Chino =D
I don't know if I would call PTSD "nothing too serious"; sure, it's not life-threatening cancer, but still. Well, figuring out the reason is the first step to getting better - for me it's usually a relief to just get a diagnosis. Seems like your symptoms are triggered by different things, but you might find something in common after a while.
Take care of yourself, Chino! Don't just sweep it away when you know you're not gonna die.

Offline chinonamida

« Reply #1621 on: August 19, 2018, 11:47:48 PM »
Thanks for the concern and the advices too.

After all the false diagnosis, I was doubtful of this one too. I mean, I knew about all the symptoms, I just didn't think they were all linked. And I didn't want to admit it was PTSD, because I thought PTSD was about hallucinations and panic attacks. I thought it was normal to have nightmares, and to have insomnia, and to have old memories coming back from time to time... As for my hands, I thought the problem was physical, caused by all the punching I did over the years. But my problem with eating was the first symptom I really thought was abnormal. Now that I know it's caused by my throat tightening, I just avoid things hard to swallow and I'm fine. X)

Anyway, thanks again.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 11:52:13 PM by chinonamida »

Offline earthforge

• Meat Popsicle
« Reply #1622 on: August 27, 2018, 11:58:26 PM »
Congrats on figuring out your health, chino. Glad to see you're doing better.

Can see why it wasn't an easy diagnosis. PTSD doesn't have the same symptoms from person to person. If you're used to not feeling things like stress or strong emotion, it can pop up in other ways.

I thought it was normal to have nightmares, and to have insomnia, and to have old memories coming back from time to time...

Yeah, extreme nightmares provoking insomnia are not really normal. The worst nightmares most people get are showing up to work naked, or getting lost in a building, or the random relative/pet is dead depressing one.

Hope things continue to get better!
"There are no answers. Only choices."

Offline chinonamida

« Reply #1623 on: August 30, 2018, 06:10:40 PM »
^Thanks.

Yeah, extreme nightmares provoking insomnia are not really normal.
Even though they're both linked to PTSD, I wouldn't say they're linked to each other.
It's not that I go to sleep at normal hours, but then I'm woken up by nightmares.
It's that I often don't feel tired and therefore don't go to sleep at normal hours.
Also, I more often wake up from a nightmare, than I'm woken up by a nightmare.
What usually wakes me up is my alarm clock or something like that.

The worst nightmares most people get are showing up to work naked, or getting lost in a building, or the random relative/pet is dead depressing one.
I guess most people have nightmares about events they're familiar with going wrong.
My nightmares are often about trying to fight unusually strong opponents, or trying to run away from unshakable pursuers, or being trapped in an inescapable room, and sometimes while having my hands tied together.
The car accident is also a pretty common one.
But I rarely have nightmares about firearms and never get shot in my nightmares, and as a matter of fact I rarely encountered firearms in my life and never was shot.
Fights in my nightmares are usually hand to hand or with cold weapons. Because that's what I had a lot of experiences with.
A nightmare I sometimes had when I was a kid, was about swimming in a large body of water and encountering some giant fish or sea monster. But I never drowned in a nightmare, and I never drowned or came close to drowning in real life.
That's why I'm guessing, when someone have no idea how something is like, they can't dream / have nightmares about it.

Offline Kannra21

• Nyahooo♡
  • Junior First Class
  • Be happy. Be bright. Be you.
« Reply #1624 on: September 03, 2018, 05:08:35 PM »
Heeeiiiii Chinooooo *hugs* Dear God are you all right?? I really hope you're doing OK now and no worries, doctors will do their job so you can feel better in no time! I'm rooting for your recovery, you'll feel great once again you'll see!!! 😘💕💕
"Win a place for yourself in this world."- Shura Kirigakure

Offline chinonamida

« Reply #1625 on: September 07, 2018, 06:46:50 AM »
^Thanks. You're so kind. But don't worry too much. I already got better. That's why I gave an update.

Offline justicecadet

• Junior Second Class
  • Not gonna be very active anymore <3
« Reply #1626 on: December 04, 2018, 07:13:17 AM »
I have been gone for a long time for various reasons. Nothing dire but just other stuff takes precedence.
Wow blessed with anime Toudou and then more flashback Toudou. Fantastic.

I don't comment because I feel increasingly at a loss for words. Not specific to the comic but maybe just a bit more closed off. I will to lurk and comment more. Hope we all get through the holidays together.
Saying Toudou's name summons me

Offline earthforge

• Meat Popsicle
« Reply #1627 on: December 05, 2018, 03:48:34 AM »
Understandable. I've been more lurking, half because there hasn't been much to discuss / argue, half because I fell into a new fandom (Detroit Become Human). I've always had a weakness for emotionally complex gunslinger characters, and well, it's probably unsurprising I've been nerding out for two months over a socially-challenged ruthless machine obsessed with accomplishing a mission.

Things have also somewhat stabilized in my home life. The summer was really rough, and I've been recovering from that over the last few months. Been exercising occasionally and practicing not beating myself up, which has dramatically improved my mental health (turned out "stop hitting yourself" was the right advice for me). I also passed my doctoral candidacy exam! I've now got about 1.5-2 years left of grad school.

Offline Wikkelsoee

« Reply #1628 on: December 05, 2018, 01:53:33 PM »
Congrats with the exam, earth!
I recently passed my bachelor assignment and only have one exam left this semester. That means I'll be starting my Master's degree* in February. Only three years left!

* In Denmark we call the following 2 years after the Bachelor's degree 'kandidat' (from candidatus). A Master is something similar but not quite the same (the level is the same but which one you take depends on your education).
The 'kandidat' for medical studies is 3 years instead of the normal 2, which means I'm actually only halfway D:

Offline chinonamida

« Reply #1629 on: December 14, 2018, 09:16:28 PM »
Nice to know everyone is doing well.

I'm also studying quite a lot recently. I'm trying to get into Waseda next spring.
I have a recommendation, but I also want a good score at the entrance exam.

Sometimes I force myself not to read the chapter as soon as it comes out, so I don't start wanting to comment on it. X)

But it's true there's not much to discuss since the flashbacks started.

I want to lurk and comment more. Hope we all get through the holidays together.
I hope so too. I'll try to write more during the holidays.

Offline kirarin

• Junior First Class
« Reply #1630 on: December 25, 2018, 05:19:12 AM »
MERRY MERRY CHRISTMAS AOEX FAM! 

Offline chinonamida

« Reply #1631 on: February 13, 2019, 05:30:20 AM »
I was accepted into Waseda. ( ' ')9

Offline earthforge

• Meat Popsicle
« Reply #1632 on: February 18, 2019, 03:17:14 AM »
Congrats chino!! I read that Waseda is really selective, kudos on getting in!

Offline chinonamida

« Reply #1633 on: February 25, 2019, 09:51:49 PM »
Thanks.

I'll send photos.

And of course if there's any Ao No Exorcist related events while I'm in Tokyo I'll try to go and post about it.

Also, we're finally getting at the end of the flashback. I hope we get stuff to discuss again. So far nothing shocking really happened...

Offline Wikkelsoee

« Reply #1634 on: March 11, 2019, 02:00:04 PM »
A late congratulations to you, Chino! That's so cool!