Author Topic: Smalltalk  (Read 179153 times)

Offline earthforge

• Meat Popsicle
  • Intermediate First Class
Re: Smalltalk
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2013, 06:18:37 AM »
Our microwave just burst into flames.

Oh well, the thing was almost 20 years old, so it was bound to happen sometime. Still, there were no signs of malfunctioning before, so it still kinda came as a surprise... I guess we'll go buy a new one tomorrow. A microwave is one of those things that's too practical not to have, even though we're usually not big on electronics.
oh wow... at least it's fairly easy to replace.

speaking of things bursting into flames, I actually wound up losing my first car when my dad decided to tinker with the engine, then turned the engine on and, holy crap, flames everywhere!

Our TV was failing for years to the point where it was picking up buoy transmissions from the Bay. When I was at school, my parents tried to fix it one last time. I came back to scorched pavement outside the house and a missing TV. From that day onwards, my family used our computers to watch TV. We started this back in 2002, well before youtube was popular. We digitized video tapes, TV captures and DVDs and let a server act as our TV. It has been the best TV ever, with no commercials or interruptions. We even built a function to select movies/episodes at random. No folder searching necessary. In a weird way, this tech should have reached market because of the extreme value... but unfortunately Silicon Valley is populated by assholes who scorn the future.

... oops. That turned into a bit of a rant... sorry...
"There are no answers. Only choices."

Offline weazulgrl

• Maniacal Mustelid
  • Exwire
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2013, 11:46:28 PM »
anyone reading this, wish me luck.

I have to cook for myself tonight since I'm home by myself until late Saturday and I am notoriously dangerous in the kitchen and known for injuring myself (I actually lost about half the feeling in the tip of one of my fingers from a kitchen accident) so, yeah, wish me luck so I don't burn the house down or myself or whatever and that my attempt to make prawn soup with rice noodles (I snagged all the stuff for it at the local Asian grocery today with what little money I had on hand) actually comes out okay when I start making it in a little while.

edit:
if anyone is curious, the spicy prawn soup with extra prawn meat, rice noodles, straw mushrooms, bamboo strips and some other veggies came out WONDERFUL.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 01:23:42 AM by weazulgrl »
weazulgrl.tumblr.com
kageitachi.deviantart.com
weasyl.com/profile/weazul
Mugetsu Ookamiza on Gaia Online

Offline sushueren

• Exwire
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2013, 02:00:03 AM »
^Have you tried using a crockpot? Usually I just throw stuff inside, almost impossible for anyone to mess up.

Offline weazulgrl

• Maniacal Mustelid
  • Exwire
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2013, 02:30:13 AM »
I'm actually not too bad with stuff if I use the microwave, but still, even at that if there's too much cutting things up and the like I still usually wind up hurting myself. I also recently got a rice cooker/steamer and I'm getting use to that, too, but still, the prep part can still get me injured. and the more complicated something is the worse I'm likely to get injured.

I swear to god, it's like my older bro inherited almost all the cooking skills from my mom. he makes food that wins awards without ever burning or cutting himself of whatever while making it while I tend to get hurt making food that's usually no more than okay at best.
weazulgrl.tumblr.com
kageitachi.deviantart.com
weasyl.com/profile/weazul
Mugetsu Ookamiza on Gaia Online

Offline NeeNee

• Administrator
  • Senior First Class
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2013, 04:17:39 PM »
Doesn't anyone want to try roleplaying with us? It's a bit lonely with just two people.

(We're going real slow, don't worry. It's my first time too.)

Offline sand dragon

• Intermediate Second Class
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2013, 08:41:58 AM »
Yesterday I wasted two hours looking for a book.. And it wasn't even mine!
My younger sister have to read a book in English at school and because I'm the one who is the best in my family in English I'm helping her..
In the end we found it under the sofa when I were looking for another book ;D
Now I have to help her with the questions.. :-\

Offline VacuumTan

• Exwire
  • 天使の笑顔も崩れてさ
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2013, 06:58:39 PM »
It's only the second full week of school now, and my mental resources are totally down already. I know I sound like a sissy to most people here, since you're mostly older than me, but having lessons until six o'clock four times a week exhausts me to no end and they'll throw the first few tests at us as soon as October begins.
And then I can't even sleep properly because, for some reason, the only thing I can dream about is that I sleep in- which then has me jerking awake at two in the morning, ready to jump out of my bed and get ready. Though I usually wake up at least twenty minutes before my alarm goes off. It really annoys me. I mean, I know I'm a anxious person and all, but give me a break already! My mom keeps commenting on the dark circles under my eyes, but I don't even feel especially tired, just very much exhausted- mentally more so than physically, really.

... Basically, I'm a white rabbit.
As if to spite this hateful world, I decided to love it.

Offline Wikkelsoee

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2013, 07:32:54 PM »
^ Well, is there at least a variety of subjects so you won't feel too bored in school? 

Offline VacuumTan

• Exwire
  • 天使の笑顔も崩れてさ
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2013, 08:14:40 PM »
^ Variety... not really. All the really fun subjects are only one lesson per week. Like, y'know, art and history and those things. And our teachers suck really hard this year, too. Once we got our schedules with the assigned teachers, our class was a bunch of groans and complains.
I'm thinking about going for some additional classes, though, to pass the time during breaks and all. The choir, volleyball-team, AV-club, photography-club and our school's newspaper are all totally begging me to choose them, but they're so many! ... And web-developing sounds fun, too...

But volleyball for example would get in the way with cram school. And, technically, there should be an extra course for those who are mathematically challenged, too. And I have to go there. Technically. But, apparently, it doesn't exist. That's how our school is, though- they don't get anything done, despite claiming that they'd do it.

Offline Wikkelsoee

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2013, 08:37:11 PM »
I already knew being a student in Germany was hard, but that's just too much to do X_x We Danes have it easy.

Offline MetallicArcher

• Senior Second Class
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2013, 11:07:02 PM »
How many subjects do you have?

When I was on high school, I had around 17 different classes, around 8 hours a day, five days a week.

Offline earthforge

• Meat Popsicle
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2013, 02:49:50 AM »
Howdy from French Polynesia, Moorea!

Just got here for my research class. Internet has been spotty but finally managed to get a chance to post.  Probably won't be as active but at least I have interwebz.
"There are no answers. Only choices."

Offline Unbesiegbar

• Page
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2013, 04:09:32 PM »
Don´t complain about school ;)
I have my fulltime Job at the German Army and besides I make my Abitur (you need that to study at Universitys).  That´s distance learning - I have to explain everything by myself - after I worked the whole day. And I have to share my time with my family and my little zoo.
But thats okay - Because I know why I´m doing this.

And now I should celebrate my second wedding anniversary - but I have to learn mathematics...  :P
~ Sei du selbst die Veränderung, die du dir wünschst für diese Welt.~

Offline VacuumTan

• Exwire
  • 天使の笑顔も崩れてさ
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2013, 05:55:06 PM »
^ Did you get that scholarship-thing for university at the army or will/did you just join for the heck of it? Because our grade went to get job counseling last year, and the woman there told us that you can get your studies paid by the army if you are okay with working there or going to war if you're ought to.

I mean, yeah, we got 27 whole hours a week, packed into 36 mandatory lessons, but then there's supplementary classes and cram school you need to attend to get at least something into your head and overall, it feels like it's too much. It felt like that last year already, but it's definitely getting worse with time.

The German educational system sucks some major arse, anyhow. Mostly because all that reforming those uninvolved politicians do makes everything go downhill. For the sake of getting people to go work at a younger age, they say. But it's like that everywhere, I guess. Still, that's some major mess-up in this society I am not too fond of. Humans are not robots, damnit, they can't keep doing everything as efficiently as possible without going mad.

When I was on high school, I had around 17 different classes, around 8 hours a day, five days a week.

What grades does high school cover...? Eh.
I got 16 subjects with 5 up to 9 hours a day, though it varies. Next year is whatever you choose, though.
... Totally doing a bunch of art and religious education.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 06:04:23 PM by VacuumTan »

Offline MetallicArcher

• Senior Second Class
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2013, 07:23:56 PM »

What grades does high school cover...? Eh.
I got 16 subjects with 5 up to 9 hours a day, though it varies. Next year is whatever you choose, though.
... Totally doing a bunch of art and religious education.

That depends on which high school you go to.

Ok, time to explain my country's educational system:

Education is obligatory since you are 5.

5 years old -> Pre-School (also known as last year of KInder Garden, Kinder Garden goes up from 3 years old, before that it's maternity ward which is for kids from 6 months up). Public Kinder Gardens are scarce so most of the kids end up on private, particularly Church Owned ones because they have State subvention making them cheaper)  .

6 to 11 years old -> Elementary School (called Primary School). There are Public (free), Church Owned (often subventioned by the State, a good deal of people send their kids to these ones) or Fully Private (ridiculously expensive and out of reach for most middle-class people).

12 to 17 years old ->  High School (same options as for Elementary School, often called Secondary School). It's divided in Lower (first 3 years) and Upper (Last Three years) High School. For Upper High School you have to choose an orientation (Arts, Biology, Technical, etc...)

I graduated as a Bachelor in Electromechanics. I could have taken an extra year (making it 7 years of High School in total) and be a Technician in Electromechanics but I decided to move on with University instead.

I didn't have optional classes, nor Cram School (what is that about?).