Author Topic: Favourite fanfics  (Read 8996 times)

Offline NeeNee

• Administrator
  • Senior First Class
Favourite fanfics
« on: September 05, 2012, 11:44:52 PM »
Seen any fanfics you would like to recommend? (Not your own. You can start a separate topic for that.)
Post them here! :D

I think Fool Exorcist is quite hilarious. ;D
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7324293/1/Fool-Exorcist (Warning: 18+)

It's completely retarded and over the top, but some chapters had me LOL all the way through. I wasn't expecting to like it, but the humour grows on you.

Offline Jarield

• Exwire
  • Yukio is LE SEX!!!
Re: Favourite fanfics
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 01:52:02 PM »
I haven't read any fics yet... But I am meaning to in the future... :D

Offline Wikkelsoee

• Intermediate First Class
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 03:36:59 PM »
I'm afraid to read any fanfictions... I often read fanfics when I was younger, but when I think back all the characters were completely OOT. Maybe I just read the wrong ones?

Offline earthforge

• Meat Popsicle
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 04:40:54 AM »
The gold standard of Blue Exorcist fics has been set by storiewriter and Oreramar with their fics "Veränderung" and "Mirror Shards". Both are long but so worth it.

There are lotsa good short oneshots as well. A personal fav is "My Other Half". The wording isn't exact, but the characterization is spot on.

I've read some mediocre ones too. "Spurius" is one such. Amazing dedication, great idea, okay characterizations, poor execution.
"There are no answers. Only choices."

Offline Anya

• Junior First Class
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 01:21:27 PM »
Could someone repost the one about Rin getting used to his tail? It was hilarious. I think Neenee posted the link on MF.

Offline NeeNee

• Administrator
  • Senior First Class
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 07:31:03 PM »
^ Oh yes, I was planning to post that one. It's so cute. ^^

There you go. :)
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7202807/1/Much_Ado_about_a_Tail

Or did you mean this one about Rin hiding his tail? Because that's funny too, if you can put up with Mephisto in the bathroom (no, nothing happened).
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6982215/1/Trial_and_Error

Offline Anya

• Junior First Class
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 08:19:57 PM »
Thank you! The first one is the one I was talking about.
I tried hard to forget the other one, though... oh well.

Edit:
Each time I read it (the first one) I love it more :)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 08:55:09 PM by Anya »

Offline NeeNee

• Administrator
  • Senior First Class
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 10:18:37 AM by NeeNee »

Offline NeeNee

• Administrator
  • Senior First Class
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 10:06:24 PM »
It's a bit random, but I came across this one again and thought I should post it. It's one of the better funny fics including Yukio, IMHO.

Skip the description and italics, it's more fun when you jump straight into the story.
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7346139/1/Ignorance-is-Bliss

Offline earthforge

• Meat Popsicle
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 07:53:06 PM »
A fascinating fic that I've been beta-reading is "Azuer". It's a unique concept, taking the anime ideas and turning them into an interesting meditation on life and resurrection. The writer is no slouch. She's pretty good on writing and plot, and improving on characterization.

Offline keemew2

• Junior Second Class
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 03:01:06 AM »
^The problem is, I would probably have to watch the anime first, huh? ANd, well...everyone keeps telling me to stay away from the anime to save my sanity.

Offline earthforge

• Meat Popsicle
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2013, 12:25:50 AM »
^The problem is, I would probably have to watch the anime first, huh? ANd, well...everyone keeps telling me to stay away from the anime to save my sanity.

Actually no. The fic starts where the anime started to go off from canon. In the Amaimon fight in the anime, Rin's sword cracked. In the fanfic, it breaks completely. That's all you need to know to read it. Some of the elements are taken from the anime, but not quite at the same magnitude of the anime's indisputable badness.

Offline keemew2

• Junior Second Class
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2013, 06:53:20 PM »
Cool! I'll have to check it out then.

Offline Dimwit

• His Majesty's Secret Service
  • Exwire
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 06:47:49 PM »
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9249310/1/Hellion - for lack of better term, I'd like to call it an Armageddon fic. Starts from the end of the anime, with an entirely different end and the effects that brings. Characters grow twisted in very credible, very painful ways.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9270025/1/Flame - a study in minimalism, but manages to concentrate so much into so few words. Snapshots of Rin, Yukio and Yuri told from Satan's perspective. Follows the anime.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8191415/1/Fumbling-Toward-Family - the author is tremendously good at writing heart-warming, solid pieces of family life. This one is a quick peek on what a jaded exorcist can learn from being charged with taking care of Satan's children.

Offline MetallicArcher

• Senior Second Class
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2013, 07:26:06 PM »
Memories of You - https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9515318/1/Memories-of-You

Takes off as a series of RinxIzumo oneshots.

Later on, there is a little AmaimonxShiemi mixed in (no smut, the author actually used his/her neurones and came up with a way for those two to end up together and build a relationship).

Before you know it, YukioxPaku (and it doesn't sound crack at all, and despite Yukio being in a tremendousness secondary role in the fanfic, it gives him Character Development and Paku too, though to a lesser extent).

From chapter 15 to 30 there is an Arc about the author's version of Izumo's family's backstory (OCs for the family, but only one of them shows up after the Arc is done with). There is a series of chapters within the arc that take place in the abandoned Kamiki household, it feels like being inside a survival horror game (actually, Paku comments on it, so it's likely intentional). The Arc it's actually quite close to what we learned in these later chapters (except no Illuminati and it's actually a bit more creepy).

Then it goes back more or less to the one-shot style.

Nehaurus makes a comeback, alongside one of the OCs from the Izumo Arc. There is a little Shiratori and possessed!Shiratori (not by Astharot, the author goes by the manga, not the anime).

Shura, Mephisto and another OC (a high school teacher, quite recurrent but well built and not annoying to the reader) act as chaperones for Rin and Izumo.

There is a slowly developing sub-plot for the Vatican to try and separate Izumo and Rin to prevent him from producing offspring developing and gaining importance as chapters pass by.

Implied RinxIzumo smut in chapter 51, but everything is left to the readers imagination actually. (They do make out a lot, though, once every 5-6 chapters, save in the mini-action arcs).

The time line is a little altered in regards of the date of Rin's exam.

Chapter count is 51 (for now) author is on a temporal hiatus (last update was on September).
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 07:38:22 PM by MetallicArcher »