Author Topic: Slayers  (Read 1073 times)

Offline yaodai

• Exwire
  • I have a crowbar!
Slayers
« on: July 13, 2014, 11:27:50 AM »

Beautiful sorceress Lina Inverse proceed to go with her life as always - she robs bandits, she burns down cities and even dragons are running away at her sight.
Then, one day, she bump into knight in white armor wanna-be, who just happened to have something she really wants, but refuse to give it away. Adventure and saving the world somehow just happened on the way.

"Slayers" is pretty old series (1995) and it's balancing on the fine line between pure crack and really serious stuff. It is based on quite long series of light novels, got several OAVs, five TV series and a bunch of comics books too.
The universe is rich, the characters are recognizable (and they are not only growing on the viewer, but evolving during the series in really subtle way) and all the villains got pretty good reasoning behind their actions.

Offline NeeNee

• Administrator
  • Senior First Class
Re: Slayers
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 11:46:54 AM »
I heard of it, but never really read it.

Isn't it kinda hard to get nowadays?

Offline yaodai

• Exwire
  • I have a crowbar!
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 11:55:57 AM »
I don't know about the DVD's and others, these never reached my country ^^'.
(We got only one manga series and three TV-series)
But it's pretty easy to find decent streams, in English dub and Japanese with English subs.

The novels are the most difficult thing to get (and it is really frustrating, because there is the mother of all backstabs in the novels), but with people making fan-translations nothing is impossible, I guess.

It's worth a try, especially demons in the Slayers universe are really interesting.

Offline tardar-sauce

• Black Sheep
  • Intermediate First Class
  • Beware the...thingie.
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 01:37:41 AM »
I heard of this series. I love this series. I am probably the only person in the world who liked TRY more than the first series. Zelgadis is the mother of all attractive brooding fangirl bait and I love him.

And then there is the blonde swordsman Gourry who makes Rin look like Einstein. Yes it is that bad.

I managed to find a youtube stream back in the day. But I want the novels sooo badlyyyy.

Offline yaodai

• Exwire
  • I have a crowbar!
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 05:14:10 AM »
Hey, I really like TRY too!
For something what was created just by the studio - not based on manga's or novels - it's really great.
The story is fun too, but it seems a bit more serious than previous series, but they are still visiting the crack territory pretty often.
I have yet to watch a few episodes in the finale to count how many times Xellos betrayed both groups  ;D

Offline alainasteel

• Page
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2021, 02:41:14 PM »
Hehe yup! I have the light novels on my computer, and have read the manga some chapters... But best was the anime adaption! The count of laughs it gave me - super xDD I recommend watching.
188bet

Offline bandjay

• Page
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2022, 08:16:50 AM »
I think slayers are simply great I generally need to chuckle at slayers and you don't pass up the activity I observed every one of the episodes and I can't envision a superior anime I trust the slayers give comes a shot on dvd in german that would be simple wonderful !!!!