Author Topic: Favorite Anime and Manga  (Read 7762 times)

Offline Leona

• Page
Re: Favorite Anime and Manga
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2014, 01:18:18 PM »
The manga already finished, but some chapters have yet to be translated. Kind of a shame. =/

I didn't know it was over? I thought the author was still writing it, just on another hiatus or something. But then, like I said, I haven't been active in the fandom for ages...

I loved the anime, even though it's totally different after a point to the manga. I liked the dynamic between Satoshi and Daisuke, and I spent AGES studying it when I first read the manga! Although my romantic shippings are more Daisuke/Riku and Satoshi/Risa. And I really love Krad's character.

Tsubasa... the entire CLAMP universe got too complicated for me to follow after a while. I think they went a bit too far in the whole 'mixing everything so it's one continuity of sorts' idea.

Offline tardar-sauce

• Black Sheep
  • Intermediate First Class
  • Beware the...thingie.
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2014, 03:24:21 PM »
Tsubasa itself is famous for being a giant clusterfuck of 'what.'

Offline Kenneth245

• Azure Fire Wyvern
  • Exwire
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2014, 08:04:00 PM »
I didn't know it was over? I thought the author was still writing it, just on another hiatus or something. But then, like I said, I haven't been active in the fandom for ages...

I had read on Manga Fox that it had finished. Maybe it's still on hiatus. =/

Tsubasa... the entire CLAMP universe got too complicated for me to follow after a while. I think they went a bit too far in the whole 'mixing everything so it's one continuity of sorts' idea.

I read the spoilers for the ending, and the whole Syaoran thing got me very confused. Clone Syaoran gets killed and reincarnates in another universe, and then he becomes the father of the real Syaoran. I don't even... How can a clone end up being the father of the original?

Offline NeeNee

• Administrator
  • Senior First Class
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2014, 07:45:49 PM »
My main fandoms apart from AnE are: Yugioh (mostly DM and 5Ds, although I'm veering into Arc-V as well now) and Detective Conan.

Apart from that I'm also a big fan of Rurouni Kenshin, DNAngel (although I'm not caught up with the manga as of several chapters back or so) and FMA. I'm familiar with some of the other populars, Naruto and Bleach and SNK, but while they're fun and I can talk about them for ages, they've never dragged me in like the others have. I've also seen a few other anime, including Yu Yu Hakusho and Cardcaptors, though they were a while back now.

Conan! <3

Yu-Gi-Oh!, Kenshin and Yu Yu Hakusho are nice too (though I hear the anime is pretty different from the manga). Don't really follow the others, except for Bleach. FMA is one I've been planning to try, but I just never got around to it.

My newest obsession is No. 6 though... I just love the characters. Too bad the story's so short, I wouldn't have minded to see 50 volumes more of that. ;D

You know what, let me make a topic.

Offline tardar-sauce

• Black Sheep
  • Intermediate First Class
  • Beware the...thingie.
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2014, 12:27:36 AM »
FMA is a classic! You should put that one high on your read/watch list!

Offline yaodai

• Exwire
  • I have a crowbar!
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2014, 08:35:40 AM »
I have a thing for odd stuff. And/or old.

Since forever, "Record of Lodoss War" was on top of my list. It's cheesy, very typical heroic fantasy that looks pretty and you actually need to read the RPG book to understand the fact that there is about 3 years long time skip between almost every episode. Seriously, no hints whatsoever.
It's not even very good cheesy fantasy, I'm just sentimental.

And when talking about old stuff is hard to not mention "Tosho Daimos". `78 mecha transformers style, with a different mechanic monster for main hero to beat every week... and really entertaining, really interesting political plot in the background. This series took the plot twisting to the extreme and is one of the first titles in the genre where villains actually have other reasons for their actions besides blowing stuff up for pure fun.

Another old one - "Vision of Escaflowne". Really... interesting... noses...
Besides the weird character design, it's really good. Again, the villains are quite surprising and the oh-so-good heroes got a thing or two to answer for (and you really don't expect that. And nobody is forcing the thing down the viewer throat either). And the music! And the amazing, giant robots that actually are moving like giant robots (safe for the dragon-stuff).

The next old thing on my list is "Slayers!". Three first series, since the new ones are just... not like them. This series start off like a absolute parody of fantasy genre. We have blowing stuff up for fun, blowing up dragons for fun, blowing up thieves for money and a honest to god lightsaber that came out of nowhere. Then, all of sudden... it's serious, like really serious. And somehow manage to do it well enough to not seem forced at all. Really, one minute character is running around cosplaying a pony, the next there is a really serious situation.

Somebody already mentioned "Cowboy Bebop" and "Fullmetal Alchemist", so I'm going to skip these.

Now, something somewhat new - "Puella Magi Madoka Magica" and "Bokurano". For the exact same reason. One is a magical girl genre deconstruction (done with a crowbar), the other is toying around with mecha and it's oh-so-chosen-by-the-fortune-pilot issue (with a crowbar). I think I just enjoy observing the characters when they suffer. The first one is a trap, because it looks all cute and sugary (but it's Shaft, one should expect something weird), the other one is not even trying to hide that the main issue of the show is dying. And how to deal with an unavoidable death hanging over your head (the anime is safer to watch, especially in the end. The manga wanders right in the middle of "ohnonononono!" territory.)

I actually liked "Code Geass". It's the only thing CLAMP made that I can watch without feeling like my brain is bleeding through my ears from all the overblown trauma. But I started it watching in rather odd manner - saw a clip from the show, where one character declares that he just owned the whole world with a completely straight face. And I was curious how he managed to get there. So I watched the whole thing, just to observe him taking over the world. I didn't really care for the characters, through I had fun with the shooting scene, the fights were also neat.

Offline Karen

• Junior Second Class
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2014, 01:40:26 AM »
:) Let's see, "Sailor Moon" was an old favorite for sentimental reasons, as it was the first anime I watched and I was in my early teens at the time so there was allot I could relate to then. "Rurouni Kenshin" is another old favorite because I loved the whole plot and storytelling with a bit of history. "Full Metal Alchemist" is also a huge sentimental fave because at the time I was watching my own mom was dealing with cancer and the message and theme really struck a chord. Other animes I may not be a fan of, but I watch just for a certain favorite character or two.

Offline MetallicArcher

• Senior Second Class
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2014, 05:06:46 AM »
The first anime I saw consistently, from beginning to end, perfectly aware that what I was watching was an anime, was Burst Angel (also known in Japanese as Bakuretsu Tenshi).

It's a 24 episodes long anime + a prequel OVA - Burst Angel Infinity - and a prequel manga - Bakuretsu Tenshi: Angel's Adolescence -

I remember watching the anime on YouTube, dubbed cause I didn't yet understand how much Latin dubs suck. Then I watched the OVA, which was only available subbed and, oh, gosh, the difference in the voices" I swore not to ever watch a dub again.

My happiness when I discovered it had a manga cannot be described, even if it turned out it was a prequel rather than a sequel like I would have wished...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 06:55:28 AM by MetallicArcher »

Offline CheAkiwara

• Lead Artist
  • Page
  • NO MIURA , I am the one who waits !
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2014, 08:13:22 PM »
Oh oh thats easy ! Favorite manga of all time Berserk , then comes Gantz and after that comes Blue Exorcist... Im sorry guys :b

Favorite anime huh? Im not really into anime these days but I liked FMA , Ghost in the Shell (gotta rewatch that one), Hellsing , oh and Attack on Titan does a good job these days !

Offline manypets4me

• Eins, Zwei, Drei!
  • Exwire
  • Eins, Zwei, Drei!
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2014, 06:59:47 AM »
Attack on Titan is definitely tied with Blue Exorcist as first on my favorite list.

Offline SimpleBliss

• Junior First Class
  • When in doubt, talk it out
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2015, 03:34:43 AM »
Guys guys guys I just started watching FMA Brotherhood. Just finished episode 10.

I'm...speechless.

Needless to say, it has quickly climbed to the top of my ranks!

WHERE HAS THIS ANIME BEEN ALL MY LIFE

Offline questdrivencollie

• Junior Second Class
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2015, 03:47:14 AM »
Guys guys guys I just started watching FMA Brotherhood. Just finished episode 10.

I'm...speechless.

Needless to say, it has quickly climbed to the top of my ranks!

WHERE HAS THIS ANIME BEEN ALL MY LIFE
I know, right?! FMA was the first anime that I watched actually knowing it was anime, it's what got me into anime. :D It's, like, a friggen masterpiece.

FMA:B would have to be one of my top favorites, along with:

Clannad After Story--watched it twice, it's super feelsy. Also an interesting balance of hilariousness and seriousness. (The first season, Clannad, was good, too, but I didn't enjoy it quite as much.) Oh, just a warning--this anime does get very depressing, and the ending is confusing.

Angel Beats!--also super feelsy and yet hilarious, though shorter than it should have been.

Soul Eater--watched the anime and read the manga. I liked both the anime and manga ending...well, the manga had a really weird final chapter, but other than that. (Have to admit that part of the reason I liked the anime ending was that my favorite character had a depressing ending in the manga. I honestly grieved for days when I found out, I got really attached to him.)

Madoka Magica--short but awesome. I liked it more for the plot and it's twists than for the characters.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 03:52:48 AM by questdrivencollie »

Offline justicecadet

• Junior Second Class
  • Not gonna be very active anymore <3
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2016, 04:01:21 AM »
Has anyone else read Cheese in the Trap? it's a Korean webtoon. I really like it!
all this ch80 Toudou manipulation made me think about it again. Ciit is about a college girl who starts dating a guy that she used to hate and they slowly reveal the previous year when they were enemies and how he has manipulated her a lot. But ironically he's not even that terrible of a guy. Dishonest and vengeful, but he actually does a lot of manipulation to ppl who have done worse things to him, or he tries to use underhanded means to help his girlfriend. So he's still pretty bad but... haha kind of likable. Still, I want to see if he ever over does it, or does something irreversible. It's a pretty cliche Korean drama but I'm sucked in.
Saying Toudou's name summons me

Offline questdrivencollie

• Junior Second Class
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2016, 12:31:55 AM »
Hunter x Hunter has caught my attention very strongly lately. I'm still in the first arc, though. Life and a variety of hobbies hasn't left me a lot of free time for anime viewing and manga reading lately.

Offline Lauraley

• Page
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2017, 02:38:46 AM »
For me,it is:
Dragon Ball Z Online(DBZ Online is a wonderful action webgame based on the hottest Anime - Dragon Ball Z.)
OnePiece Online(One Piece Online is a free MMORPG browser game based on manga.)

These two are my favorites.If you also like it,you can go to play.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 02:41:34 AM by Lauraley »
Anime game