Author Topic: Chapter 97 RAW  (Read 27230 times)

Offline chinonamida

• Intermediate First Class
Re: Chapter 97 RAW
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2018, 04:39:45 PM »
But could it be like Satan means something like "Don't you think (your friend/student) is an amusing girl?"
Then he would have said "友だち" for "friend" or "学生" for "student".

"面白い友だちがいるな" "That's an interesting friend you've got there."
"面白い学生がいるな" "That's an interesting student you've got there."
"その友だちは面白い女だな" "Your friend is an amusing girl, hun?"
"その友だちは面白い女だと思わないか" "Don't you think your friend is an amusing girl?"

My problem is I don't see anything in Shiemi that Satan would find interesting to compliment her... and I feel Yukio's reaction is like he doesn't want Satan to notice Shiemi in any way
She told him not to leave "雪ちゃん... 行っちゃダメだよ...!!" i.e. "行ってしまうのはだめですよ" = "It is not-good/unacceptable for you to end up leaving".
And she sent her greenman tie him up.

Offline Cloelia

• Intermediate Second Class
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2018, 04:52:52 PM »
^ Why do I feel like Satan could take on Shura's "let's-relentlessly-tease-this-kiddo" role from now on? (if he'll keep talking and won't turn into "silent mode" again (which I doubt, since Lucifer is THAT happy Yukio "brought" Father to him)

Or it was also in the funeral scene in chapter 1 when Yukio just walked away.

My opinion about this part is that Yukio might have walked away 'cause he knew Mephisto was about to show up and he didn't want to "make it clear" they had a connection just yet (or didn't want to hear what those two could've talked about/was ordered to stay away).

And about Yukio's appearance: As long as he won't get emo hair (like covering his bad eye, lots of spikes) I'm in for almost everything.

I always considered Rin's hair to have a "emo" style (well, they DO stand in his eyes way (Suguro: "That's why I gave him an hair pin!")). So I believe (and I hope) Yukio won't get THAT kinda emo cut. Well, without glasses on and with slightly longer hair, the only way we could tell the twins apart left would be Yukio's moles... WAIT, what if this is the reason Kato-sama gave him moles in the first place?!

Offline Karen

• Junior Second Class
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2018, 05:10:20 PM »
Oy vey. I could rationalize Yukio's "just die" from chapter 2 as an an expression of grief, since he kinda lost both his dad and his "human" brother in one night. But between this "yeah, you might die, I might as well, but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make" and how Yukio has no visible reaction to Satan gleefully announces his plan to take Rin's body, I think it's safe to say that Yukio is completely disconnected from Rin. He doesn't feel a thing right now towards Rin, not love, not even anger. His regard for Rin is nothing but twisted shallow admiration.
But... I think this is how he really has felt for some time. And it explains a lot. His reactions to Rin have never struck me as someone close, but as someone estranged reacting to shadows.

Yukio doesn't feel Rin as a family member, but more like a competitor in a competition.
Although we shouldn't surprise since Yukio already shoot Rin last chapter and the hint was already there in chapter 2. Or it was also in the funeral scene in chapter 1 when Yukio just walked away. So far, Yukio's protection on Rin could only because he has promised Shiro.

I agree. you're absolutely right on this one. If this is how manga Yukio feels about Rin than I'm pretty much through with him. He can just go and die himself. Rin would be better off since he has Shiemi and the others (minus Shima) genuinely good people who really care and really are there for him.

I "like" to think (yeah, I'm trying to be really positive again) they may end up (by the end of the manga) ACTUALLY becoming close for the very first time. My idea of "development" (very rough and I know I'm wrong) it's: picking "something" and turning it into "something else" by the end of the story. Usually, the complete opposite of what it was at the beginning.

If Rin and Yukio were never actually that close from the start, a development could be having them challenge a lot of struggles which will turn them into close brothers by the end. Oc it'd take ages and a lot of work and so on. But, again, this is what I like to think/hope.

Sorry, I'm not optimistic. I think it's way way to late for that kind of positive development now. As I said before, I doubt it could ever be believable and not look like it was pulled out of thin air. The Okumuras will never have as good and close relationship as the Elrics. 😞

Offline Kittykat

• Junior First Class
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2018, 05:16:29 PM »
It depends on what a "reconciliation" or "happy ending" means. I think we will have an ending that Yukio apologize to everyone and stay as a good person, but he and Rin won't live together and won't be so close as before.

I don't think they were close before. Yukio was disillusioned while Rin was comforted by an illusion (as Shiro was perpetuating the belief that he and everything was normal, and Yukio helped pretend because he was "protecting Rin"), so while Yukio disconnected from his brother, Rin was made to believe everything was ok.
I think we will have an ending that Yukio apologize to everyone and stay as a good person, but he and Rin won't live together and won't be so close as before.

I could be wrong, but from my point of view, Yukio and Rin have never been THAT close to begin with (I'm talking about what we see in the manga from chapter 1).
Oh, I didn't mean mentally close. I know they are always like "WTF my brother is thinking" and even felt each other annoying. When I say "close" I literally mean they live together, Rin cook for Yukio and ask him when he will be home, or Yukio give Rin medicine when he is injured and reminds him about the hanging execution or not to rely on the flame too much.

One of the possible ending I imagine is that even after Yukio is back to the human side and both of them are exorcists and hence colleague, they avoid to meet each other and only communicate politely through their common friends (I mean the exwires) when necessary. I won't regard that as "closer" than they were. (Though that's still a happy end in my standard)

I don’t think that’ll be true. I know everyone pushes certain things away, considering them not canon. I think of Kato-sama like Rowling. Nothing happens in her universe without her approval. I believe I’ve seen somewhere—I don’t remember where, that she considers “Salaryman Yukio” to be a parallel universe, thus making that one not canon. The ending of the anime conveys that they will connect in a way that their powers will work together, for that I believe they will have to be close. Even Mephisto rejoices. Again, we’ve spotted that this is what the manga is approaching, so the “Original” ending isn’t so original anymore. The difference is how we get there. The novels—I do think are a part of her universe. It’s got some serious undertones but sometimes make me think of filler episodes sometimes.

Another clue I use is actually the merchandise. This is a stretch, I know, since they’ll put together anything to make a buck. Her art that she posts gives us clues, so why not this. /shrug

This Yukio card has a demon motif going on. This is still an exorcist card, but it has the coloring of the major opponents (and I do think of Amaimon as one since he’s a thorn and only working for Mephisto). Satan’s card is an eyeball on the left side with flames. Shiemi’s card she is holding a dekalp, and in the anime she has a tribe of greenmen helping her...so I wonder where that one is going. Mephisto is holding what looks to be a human heart and a demon heart which, to me, eludes to Rin’s choice/predicament and how he controls it.

I’m sure you’re thinking I’m making too much of a stretch, but hey, that’s what makes figuring things out so fun.

Wait, does Satan say "That's an interesting woman..." after Shiemi gets kicked? If true, that foreshadowing makes me very uncomfortable... :o
Rather than after getting kicked, it's more after she told Yukio not to leave.

To me it sounded like a father-son conversation where the father is like "nice girl for you" (not for himself) and the son is like "don't get involved".
Though I like this headcanon, to me Satan's comment sounds more like "How amusing (面白い) this weak girl thinks she can stop me"
But he didn't say "面白い女だ" = "This is an interesting girl."
He said "面白い女がいる" = "(You) have an interesting woman" / "This is an interesting woman (you)'ve got there."
He also ends with "な"="hun?" to ask Yukio what he thinks and tease him too.
Even if he would have only said "面白い女だ", the "な" would have still made it sound like he's teasing Yukio since he's asking his opinion.

And Yukio's response is " ...... That's enough...!"
Japanese is difficult ...

But could it be like Satan means something like "Don't you think (your friend/student) is an amusing girl?"

My problem is I don't see anything in Shiemi that Satan would find interesting to compliment her... and I feel Yukio's reaction is like he doesn't want Satan to notice Shiemi in any way

I think he sees something we don’t see yet, and it’s a nod to her secret I bet. Also, he probably knows she has meaning to Yukio and points it out that he knows.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 05:20:46 PM by Kittykat »

Offline Cloelia

« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2018, 05:48:45 PM »
Sorry, I'm not optimistic. I think it's way way to late for that kind of positive development now. As I said before, I doubt it could ever be believable and not look like it was pulled out of thin air. The Okumuras will never have as good and close relationship as the Elrics. 😞

I'm trying to be positive in another way too. It's likely there're still about 60-70 chapters to go (Kato-sama stated that the first half of the manga was complete around the time of the Aomori arc) and considering how quick-paced the last chapters are going, a looooooot could happen in 60-70 more chapters. I think that's plenty of time to do something that big.

The ending of the anime conveys that they will connect in a way that their powers will work together, for that I believe they will have to be close. Even Mephisto rejoices. Again, we’ve spotted that this is what the manga is approaching, so the “Original” ending isn’t so original anymore. The difference is how we get there.

This gave me another hope to hang to (I never considered it like this), so just let me hug you.

Offline earthforge

• Meat Popsicle
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2018, 06:00:25 PM »
Thanks chino for the more detailed translation. Sounds like Satan finds it interesting that Shiemi is trying to stop Yukio. Tbf, it is one hell of a ballsy move, trying to literally pull back Yukio when Satan's power is currently active and just disabled Rin. Heck, Yukio's first reaction to getting tied up by Niichan was anger that only ceased when he looked at Shiemi.

And it bugs Yukio, not only the teasing, but probably the realization of "I do NOT want her to get wrapped up in this mess". Even if Satan is going "interesting woman you've got there", Satan has no compunctions about taking what belongs to his sons. Case it point, Rin's body.

Yet again I wonder how long Satan has been observing through Yukio's left eye. We've gotten a confirm he can only see through the left. Can he only see when the eyes change, or can he also watch when they're normal? The mental link to Yukio seems to be always active, given how Yukio kept hearing his voice despite his eyes looking the same in chapter 93. Makes his comments about Shiemi even more unsettling because Satan would've had the front row seat to their relationship disintegrating.

How much did you know, Shiro...

I agree. you're absolutely right on this one. If this is how manga Yukio feels about Rin than I'm pretty much through with him. He can just go and die himself. Rin would be better off since he has Shiemi and the others (minus Shima) genuinely good people who really care and really are there for him.

I don't want Yukio to die. That'd be like letting the current him win, since he doesn't fear death. He actively welcomes it. If he dies, it'll mean that he has succeeded in running away from his life and problems for good. No. I want Yukio to be dragged through the dirt, beaten and bloody. I want him to have to go through the pain and shame of living with what he's done. I want him to suffer and learn how self-destruction has hurt people around him. I want him to learn the fear that Rin has to live with every day -- the cost of going out of control. I want Yukio to be proven wrong.

I said he doesn't feel love, not that it isn't in him. It's buried deep, along with the tears and grief he's separated from himself for so long that he can't even feel anymore.

Yukio has never cried in the story so far despite everything. Katou's been saving that for something big.
"There are no answers. Only choices."

Offline chinonamida

« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2018, 06:55:14 PM »
And it bugs Yukio, not only the teasing, but probably the realization of "I do NOT want her to get wrapped up in this mess". Even if Satan is going "interesting woman you've got there", Satan has no compunctions about taking what belongs to his sons. Case in point, Rin's body.
Point granted.

Offline Kittykat

• Junior First Class
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2018, 06:56:26 PM »
Yukio has never cried in the story so far despite everything. Katou's been saving that for something big.

This I believe too. He is high up on his horse right now which only speaks of a hard fall. Sometimes my mind translates it to Yukio watching the lights of someone’s (someone important to him) eyes die out—but I’m negative and angsty that way. Right now that someone is Rin (and something else happened for that bridge to start to be rebuilt), and the happy ending part of it involves the freeing of Karura and as thanks revives Rin (being a phoenix and all). The other idea I had was Yuri still being alive, and she tells Yukio the story and dies soon after. So many ideas that can be fanfiction.... maybe I should try to write it. I just don’t have confidence in writing.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 07:02:17 PM by Kittykat »

Offline Karen

• Junior Second Class
« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2018, 06:57:03 PM »
I don't want Yukio to die. That'd be like letting the current him win, since he doesn't fear death. He actively welcomes it. If he dies, it'll mean that he has succeeded in running away from his life and problems for good. No. I want Yukio to be dragged through the dirt, beaten and bloody. I want him to have to go through the pain and shame of living with what he's done. I want him to suffer and learn how self-destruction has hurt people around him. I want him to learn the fear that Rin has to live with every day -- the cost of going out of control. I want Yukio to be proven wrong.

You can't cure a rabid animal. Sorry, but now there's only one thing that can be done....and Rin and the others would be better off without him too.

I said he doesn't feel love, not that it isn't in him. It's buried deep, along with the tears and grief he's separated from himself for so long that he can't even feel anymore.

If you can't feel it, than it sure as heck isn't in you. Never was and never will be.

Offline Kittykat

• Junior First Class
« Reply #69 on: January 05, 2018, 07:07:26 PM »

You can't cure a rabid animal. Sorry, but now there's only one thing that can be done....and Rin and the others would be better off without him too.

If you can't feel it, than it sure as heck isn't in you. Never was and never will be.

Wow. Someone really hates Yukio, and nothing we say will convince you otherwise. It is a common anime trope to explore the fall of humanity and its redemption, and I see no different with Yukio. But sorry you have given up on him that you can’t be flexible.

Offline Madow

• Nephilim
  • Junior Second Class
« Reply #70 on: January 05, 2018, 07:20:25 PM »
There's truth in what Karen is saying though. I think you're forgetting that just because a character is evil it doesn't make them an actual bad character. Yukio's a great, layered and complex character but you cant deny he's so selfish and disconnected in despite of what all his friends have tried to do for him. He literally admitted to being evil at this point in time, it might change and it might not. Can't tell if Kato is purposely going straight into a cliche by having a redemption arc being set up or if she's gonna barge right through and have him be a villain to the bitter end

Offline earthforge

• Meat Popsicle
« Reply #71 on: January 05, 2018, 07:24:59 PM »
I'm happy to hear from someone who is pissed with Yukio. He's fun to hate. Plus, I think Karen likes to troll us.  ;D

If your arm goes numb, does that mean it isn't there? If you can't feel, then either you're right that it's missing, or you're so damaged that you can't connect to it.
"There are no answers. Only choices."

Offline Kittykat

• Junior First Class
« Reply #72 on: January 05, 2018, 07:30:39 PM »

I'm trying to be positive in another way too. It's likely there're still about 60-70 chapters to go (Kato-sama stated that the first half of the manga was complete around the time of the Aomori arc) and considering how quick-paced the last chapters are going, a looooooot could happen in 60-70 more chapters. I think that's plenty of time to do something that big.

The ending of the anime conveys that they will connect in a way that their powers will work together, for that I believe they will have to be close. Even Mephisto rejoices. Again, we’ve spotted that this is what the manga is approaching, so the “Original” ending isn’t so original anymore. The difference is how we get there.

This gave me another hope to hang to (I never considered it like this), so just let me hug you.

I’m glad I can give you some positivity. The scene when they were talking on the beach is also one that I like. Rin asking more about Shiro, and Yukio saying sure, when you become an exorcist—with Rin in the mindset that they’ll be working together. To me, Yukio entertains the thought, but at the same time shows his darkside with “surpass me? that’s my line.”

Offline Kittykat

• Junior First Class
« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2018, 07:38:21 PM »
There's truth in what Karen is saying though. I think you're forgetting that just because a character is evil it doesn't make them an actual bad character. Yukio's a great, layered and complex character but you cant deny he's so selfish and disconnected in despite of what all his friends have tried to do for him. He literally admitted to being evil at this point in time, it might change and it might not. Can't tell if Kato is purposely going straight into a cliche by having a redemption arc being set up or if she's gonna barge right through and have him be a villain to the bitter end

I hope not. I’m still bitter about Dragonlance. Twins, one strong (becomes a standard warrior-strength based) and the other sickly and weak (becomes a mage-intelligence based). Most of the series features the weak twin going from white mage to red mage to black mage—to a godlike status and then death, so it’s his progression from good to evil (and is possessed by the spirit of a powerful black mage—sound familiar? he gets powerful and prevents the possession and completely takes the spirit’s power as his own--hrm.) while everyone else journeys to retrieve the lances and fights the bad guys. In any case, I’m still holding onto the hope that they’ll be the blue exorcists together.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 08:14:46 PM by Kittykat »

Offline Cloelia

« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2018, 08:21:59 PM »
^ Yukio a villan to the bitter end it's too predictable therefore unlikely, imo. His dying or not or even his reconciling or not with Rin it's not (always imo).

And let me hug you too, earthy.

So many ideas that can be fanfiction.... maybe I should try to write it. I just don’t have confidence in writing

I understand completely (and I got a problem with confidence in writing a fanfic (in -English- in particular) too) but if you're good at it (and I guess so from your comments (sorry, I don't know where are you from)) I totally encourage you to.

Back to the chapter, let's change topic a lil. Back in chapter 96 we had this angry/mad/raging Rin trying to slice Yukio up (who worried me big time) and I still thank Kato-Kami-sama for that bless in chapter 97 which was having Rin conscious enough after his berserk attempt to still be able to understand/hold a lil conversation with Yukio (and Satan!) for a while before shet went bad. I focused so much on the negative vibes I got from this chapter, I put the positive ones aside. But now that I'm kinda over the negative ones, I'd like to comment on the positive ones again.

The very first panel of chapter 97 gives us a perfect view of Rin's face. And I'm glad about it. We can literally get the feeling that Rin's TOTALLY out of it. Maybe this was the real problem I had with chapter 96. Rin's expressions in the last 5 pages didn't struck me as "completely blinded" so I got this STRONG feeling Rin was very serious about his "trying to kill Yukio" attempt. But that first page made me feel like I was wrong.

Well, okay. The sword breaks and Rin is sent backwards to the floor. And, he finally regains consciousness. At first reading, I was kinda mad at him for not commenting what he just did/risked to do and worried about his sword first. But, after reading the chapter again, I think this sequence is acceptable (ummmmm).

Let's say Rin didn't have time to actually process what he just did and/or comment it (I was expecting something like "Did I just charge Yukio?"/"What did I just do?"/"Was I really trying to kill him?"/"Is Yukio okay?" etc etc) and the first thing he noticed when he lifted his gaze was the half sword at Yukio's feet. Rin even heard a voice while charging Yukio but said nothing about it eith- oooookay, I don't want to make a fuss over this, so stop.

The BIG MOMENT I've (and a lot of us) been waiting for ages: Rin finally hears Satan's voice. Oh, my. Rin's reaction is the most obvious one ("Is Yukio possessed?"). I can't remember how many times I tried to imagine how this scene would happen (if it ever did (Kato-sama, you were making me -seriously- worry this moment could've never come)) and it was a dream come true to finally see it. Even if I expected a more "shocked" reaction from Rin. But the scene is good the same.

And, it turns even better (imo). 'Cause... seriously, Rin trying to talk to Yukio through the pain it's all I could wish for to raise my hopes Rin, at least so it seems or I like to believe, already got over his rage status toward Yukio. Be it 'cause discovering about Satan being somehow connected to Yukio made him believe there's prolly more behind Yukio's behaviour after all or any other reason, I don't particularly care.

I kinda don't like the feeling I get from Rin being unable to add anything else 'cause of the growing pain. It kinda leaves the situation a lil "ambiguous" imo. I mean, Rin does try to call Yukio a couple times (it's all he can manage to say) but, even if I have the feeling he's not mad at him anymore, I think there's too lil to really tell if he's ACTUALLY not.

I mean, it looks obvious, maybe. But I still don't feel 100% sure about it. If I want to keep thinking positive, well, I think I should focus over the fact Rin looks like he's screaming at Yukio to not go. But I also get the feeling he may be calling him as in: "We're not done talking yet!" and Rin's still angry and... okay, I think I'm exaggerating. *stop stop*

I also have the tiny feeling this lil panel here could be the key to interpret Rin's feelings toward Yukio's declaration before he leaves and his leaving in general. But I got more than one interpretation to it:

Moral: what do you think about Rin's possible "mood" toward Yukio once he'll be feeling better after what happened in this chapter?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 08:30:40 PM by Cloelia »