Author Topic: Chapter 97 RAW  (Read 27193 times)

Offline Kittykat

• Junior First Class
Re: Chapter 97 RAW
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2018, 08:24:56 PM »
Don’t jump the gun. You can clearly see that Yukio is remorseful for what he had done: in the plane and calling himself an evil person. The problem is that he’s still placing Rin on a pedestal and not looking at himself, or rather still sees himself as the little kid who needed protecting. He needs to break out of that and see that he is strong—though he’s still weak for giving up certain values to gain strength—I still see reconciliation, but it’s going to take a while especially since we don’t know why Satan is co-existing with Yukio right now, nor do we know what effect this has on Rin (just please no Dragonball-style, dragging it out for several chapters/episodes—how long did he spirit bomb?). I do want to see a conflict between his demon and human? hearts, but one of the key moments I still see happening from the anime is the scene with Rin on a cross and Yukio stepping in to give his blood instead. It may not happen the same way, but the message and symbolism is going to be the same—“this is MY brother, and I’m not letting you have him.”

If it’s becoming too emotional, abstain for a while until several chapters come out so the constant cliffhangers aren’t playing with your mind.

My problem is that I got attached to this manga in a very dark period of my life (lost my dad and my previous job to take care of him at the hospital). I know this has got nothing to do with everything. But I know how I'm done and I always had a problem giving up on something (or someone) I care, no matter how I was hurt from it/them. I changed a lot over the last 3 years so if I have to, I'm not gonna let myself being involved and hurt like in the past but I'm gonna try and put the lid over it and struggle to focus on something else.

It's a manga, it's fictional, I know, but I connect it to a period of my life where I was trying to love things of life again. It's been positive to me in many ways but if now it had to drag me down again, I'd rather stop reading it at all. As I said, it'd be hurtful either to stop following the updates or keep reading and see a sad/bad ending. I may try to skip a couple months just to see how it goes. But if I happened to come across another hint to something I don't want to see it'd be even worse.

Guess I'll let a few days pass by for now. Sorry about this, just felt like saying.

Sorry to hear you had such a difficult time recently. I hope things will turn around for the better.

Offline earthforge

• Meat Popsicle
  • Intermediate First Class
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2018, 11:02:28 PM »
My problem is that I got attached to this manga in a very dark period of my life (lost my dad and my previous job to take care of him at the hospital). I know this has got nothing to do with everything. But I know how I'm done and I always had a problem giving up on something (or someone) I care, no matter how I was hurt from it/them. I changed a lot over the last 3 years so if I have to, I'm not gonna let myself being involved and hurt like in the past but I'm gonna try and put the lid over it and struggle to focus on something else.

It's a manga, it's fictional, I know, but I connect it to a period of my life where I was trying to love things of life again. It's been positive to me in many ways but if now it had to drag me down again, I'd rather stop reading it at all. As I said, it'd be hurtful either to stop following the updates or keep reading and see a sad/bad ending. I may try to skip a couple months just to see how it goes. But if I happened to come across another hint to something I don't want to see it'd be even worse.

Guess I'll let a few days pass by for now. Sorry about this, just felt like saying.

Sorry Cloelia. I understand. Taking a break is completely reasonable.

I'm pretty sure the manga will have a positive ending eventually. But it's true we're in the darkest part of the story, and I can't say if it's the worst it will get. On the bright side, we're gonna get answers soon. I feel like the manga has come full circle. Rin started off wanting to be an exorcist to take revenge on Satan for Shiro, because Shiro saved him. The set-up was very dark. However, the next few chapters established Ao No Exorcist as more of a fun shounen. The first half of this manga was focused on Rin gaining friends and learning to be an exorcist. He had the threat of execution, but the tone was always upbeat despite the circumstances... a lot like Rin. The last few chapters have been a return to that dark set-up. It's a reminder of the stakes: why Rin has to destroy Satan and how Satan wants to take Rin's body.

But to quote Aang from Avatar, "it is when we reach our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change". Rin can't hide from the past. He'll have to confront the reason why he was born and Satan's plan. Shiemi can't stay on the sidelines. She'll have to be an exorcist if she wants to be together with everyone again. Admittedly, this will all take a while. Still, I think it'll take less time than it took to get here. We have been going fast ever since Yukio fell.

Personally, I'm relieved at the turn of events. Yukio is finally being his true self. Rin sees Yukio with fire in his eyes and haunted by a voice that only both of them can hear. Rin is reminded that his true enemy is Satan, who has not just taken away his father but now his brother. Mephisto's deal with Satan is made transparent. Rin is now off the "training wheels" of Kurikara and will now have to handle his true power.

Yukio has always been a source of catharsis for me. He epitomizes the pull of disordered emotion in a turbulent family situation. He's the one who started out with a pure desire to protect his family, only to become consumed by the desire to burn it all down. He is a case study in why self-loathing is dangerous. But I find him inspiring in that, despite how twisted he is, he is sane. He's using that relentless Okumura willpower to get what he wants, and he is not gonna hold any delusions that the Illuminati is a force for good. The kid has fire in him. That's why he can't be saved. That's why I believe he can save himself.
"There are no answers. Only choices."

Offline JanellaBround

• Page
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2018, 01:05:59 AM »
Oohh man, I'm on vacation in Brazil, where everything is beach, summer and fun, I really was not going to read the chapter this month because I knew it was going to be depressing but I could not help it and I saw it ... Now I'm sorry , I'm going to forget my sadness with Caipirinhas...

Seriously speaking now, I know that this manga needed this kind of conflict and darkness so that it would not become boring and all happy forever, I just hope that Kato-sama vindicates Yukio, I really love that character and I like that be all gray and conflictive but I think it deserves a better deal
La historia sirve para comprender, no para justificar.

Offline SKL

• Junior Second Class
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2018, 03:54:52 AM »
First Impressions:

-Didn't expect to Rin to snap back to himself so quickly. And Yukio comments on that. It's yet again an extremely veiled compliment on how awesome he thinks Nii-san is, but Rin can't interpret that directly. Damn you Katou!

- I don't know, Satan talking and just how ridiculous the trio's situation is right now is funny to to me. I mean Satan talking through Yukio's eye to Rin and...
-Rin is like oh no Yukio is possessed! And Yukio is like no I'm not, I'm still me, Satan's just kind of...here. talking.
-Rin is like WTF IS HAPPENING TO YOU and Yukio is like ikr that's why I have to go get answers

Oh facet's I love the humor in the way you translate/summarize

-And...DAMNIT. I was really hoping Satan wasn't planning to use Rin as a vessel in the endgame. I would have rather Satan planned to keep him around as a son 'currently in his rebellious phase, but will come around to conquering Assiah for his father'. I mean he does talk about tempering Rin's body to perfectly withstand the flames...talks about his promise with Mephisto...and says 'the body will me mine'. That's not directly saying 'I'm totally gonna possess you', but it's damn close. Anyone got an alternate interpretation of this? I know it's pretty apparent, but I'm grasping at straws here.

-Clearly Rin is Satan's favorite son of the two (although he still talks shitty to him too), and Yukio is the 'weak-shit'(ch93) who Satan can barely deign to talk to. Honestly I prefer it this way, if his 'favorite son' is his 'preferred vessel'. Though of course if Yukio gets stronger, he runs the risk of the same thing. Seems vaguely anime-first-season bound where Yukio gets possessed by Satan. I didn't watch the anime, but saw the thread about all the similarities. I know they are very different, but so far the overall big events seem the same..opening gate....Yukio's face-heel-turn...Satan possessing an Okumura..it's making me think Katou did indeed give them like a few-lines summary or something of the overall direction the manga will take. What do you anime-watchers think?

-Back to the Satan-Yukio-eye-humor. I love that scene where Satan's like 'oh that girl is interesting', Yukio hears and is like, NOPE that's enough for you today, and covers Satan's view up. Satan's all, 'heeeeey don't cover me up'. Guys. This is Yukio casually giving Satan a time-out. SATAN. THE GOD OF DEMONS. HAHAHAHA!

-So yeah anyway. Ice-Cold Snowman tells Rin, 'If I don't die along the way, I'm going to become stronger than you' and directs his new flunky aka Shima to get them out already.

-Shima's attempt at conversation, and Yukio's impenetrably serious demeanor is gold. Yup I knew I would like their dynamic in the Illuminati.

-Ms. Toudou. Saw that one coming. Katou had little reason to not bring such a prominent character's name out for a long time, unless the name itself was a juicy reveal. Toudou's daughter? Niece?

-Poor Shima. That situation with him and the 'Swedish twin' (Gunal?-I suck at romanisizing names) totally looked like a situation where the PE teacher pairs the kid up with the school bully, and the bully gives a pleased condescending smirk. Hahaha. So they are still treating Shima like the worm he is LMAO

-Excuse me, but I was too blinded by the room, the scene, and the beautiful King of Light to read the dialogue of the final part of the chapter. So that's it then.

.....Okay, after reading the dialogue more closely it seems pretty typical of what we expected.
Lucifer: 'You will help usher in a new peaceful era' 
Yukio: 'Oh please. That's just evil talk you're spouting. I don't give a shit though, cause I'm an evil person too. I came here for power and you said you can give it to me. That's that'
-side note: Yukio's currently a walkytalky for Satan and Lucifer. LOL.

Yukio may be weak in many aspects. One things for sure though. His strength of determination is powerful and insurmountable. There is no weakness there.

Offline Buttercup

• Firecracker
  • Junior Second Class
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2018, 04:33:33 AM »
And now we wait till Yukio B***H Slaps Shima. You know its coming, maybe Yukio will be the one to off him. (probably not) But seriously Shima is slime. I really don't like him. I really don't know whats going to happen next. I was pleasantly surprised that he was led to Lucy right away. I thought that Kato would prolong the meeting. My guess is that Yukio will end up a vessel for Lucy and Rin is Satan's vessel. Now I want to know what Lightning is going to think about all of these happenings.....I think lightining knows more about whats going on with Yukio and his trial will bring light (so to speak) the grand plans of the twins from the beginning. Long shot I know. I'm over here having a #prayforYukio vigil if anyone wants to join in. LOL but seriously. Damn I love Yukio.

Offline Karen

• Junior Second Class
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2018, 04:59:23 AM »
:'( Well, guess Yukio's a lost cause right now, now that it's shown what was hinted at all along; that there was never much natural good or love in him and that all he cares about is power and being better than Rin. Too bad, they'll never be like the Elrics.

Offline SKL

• Junior Second Class
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2018, 06:22:51 AM »
^ Yeah I don't think manga-Yukio is for you. They are not the Elric brothers. Maybe in the epilogue though XD.

After processing the chapter more, I realize I love it! There were no big surprises. Many revelations maybe, but those were pretty predictable things. I even before imagined Satan taking note of Shiemi *Shemihaza relation theory intensifies* Love how Shiemi is so forceful with Yukio now. It started when she demanded he attend the Christmas party. How contrasting that was to how spaghetti she used to be with him. And for Yukio, a moment of weakness. Yup. Shiemi is Yukio's weak spot of light against the darkness.

Gawd Yukio just reeks of badassery. I love the way he takes charge of the situation. There is no fear or submission in the face of the Illuminati higher-ups and Lucifer. No. They will not be walking all over him like a carpet. Shima on the other hand...XD

This chapter confirms it for me. Lucifer is definitely one of my favs. His ideals are twisted and wack. But he is polite, fair, and does not like suffering. He did not like pigface being unnecessarily cruel. He does not like suffering, but death is okay. He does not think a world of pain and unevenness is fair, and he wouldn't hesitate to destroy it because of that. Honestly, he throws me for a loop, and I am captivated by him. Therefore I want to see more of Illuminati, and Yukio's dynamic with them. Though next chap might focus back on Rin (probably going in quarantine-mode, using the key for his heart, and visiting Tatsuma). It'll be the fall-out for the gate opening, Yukio's betrayal, and we might get back to Shura, Lightnings trial etc. Hopefully we get at least a morsel of Illuminati though.

The only bitterness in the chapter for me is the Rin angst. I feel so bad for him. Rin having to deal with Yukio's callous regard of him and betrayal, Satan, and his heart awakening him and painfully overwhelming his body. What pain...It's like he had so many terrible things happen to him at once.
I love seeing the twins together being bros...and it breaks my heart. I wanted to see the bros together most of the time...but I also wanted Yukio to join the Illuminati/have a status change. Though I knew I couldn't have both. So this is the sacrifice. It's a bitter one.

Offline Stella96

• Junior Second Class
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2018, 08:50:13 AM »
Wow long time no see! Happy new year! (A bit late but...)
I haven't written anything here since chapter 95 ... but I have been reading most of your comments (and of course the manga)
it's only that with all the finals and work... it was kind of difficult to find a moment to write.

But this chapter definitely worths it.

-First of all, after Satan's words, it will be pretty difficult to Samael to defend himself for collaborating with him (and if we add Amaimon's punch to Shiemi...)
Hopefully the exwires will come to him for answers.

-If Rin's body is necrotizing then he needs to control his power now, and taking in account the last cover where the vanishing key appeared it's pretty clear that he'll have to use it to "hide" his heart.
I think it's completely different from the situation we had with Kurikara sword ( where his heart was sealed). Now he'll be able to use all his power without any "firewall".
This can be very positive if his body can stand it,
but it could means too that we can start to see now how Rin's body suffers a lot of he abuse of his power in the battles.

-And talking about Yukio... I want to believe that he's doing all of this to save the world at the end, but... we have seen how dark his mind could be and how betrayed he felt from the Order. So I'm not completely sure if he'll turn to be the good guy at the end (and it would be very mainstream, wouldn't it?)
In fact he has just broken Komaken without knowing what would happen to Rin.
He doesn't know even if his brother could die bc of this, and instead of being worried he just joins the bad crew.

-And we don't even have the reaction of Shura after knowing Yukio's new career. Omg this will be great.

Well in the next chapter I wanna see a confrontation between Rin/Exwires/Shura against Samael, and how Rin's heart is hidden.
But above all, I want Yukio with his brand new bad-guy uniform.

P.d: I'm very sorry Cloelia, i know how it feels when you loss someone importar so take care of yourself.

Offline HorseTechie

• Junior Second Class
  • Braaaaainnnsss!
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2018, 03:06:29 PM »
Wow... this chapter was another roller coaster ride. 

And the twisted sense of humor in some places (only exaggerated by Facet's quick translation - arigatoo!)... I'm dead!

What got me is that Rin hardly seemed to notice his sword broke until it was pointed out to him. Aww man, he was that slow to grasp the situation? (So much for my idea that he had sensed beforehand that Yukio was possessed/inhabited by Satan).  Rin had no clue until the voice rang out between them. *tsk*

I'm sorry this storyline is continuing on its downward spiral, but at the same time... it feels more realistic. Yes, sometimes things have to scrape bottom before it turns around. Making it harder to predict makes it more interesting, having that suspense!  Then in the end, when it does turn around, it'll make the relationships feel that more worth the effort.

Both of the Okumura twins have so much to learn, apparently... but it looks like they first have to know themselves before they could be of any use to each other, I guess it is now.

Poor Rin! 

Shiemi also be awesome in this chapter. 

It is exciting to see Yukio with the Illuminati, and that he persevered in keeping his stance about why he was there.

And Boss Lady has a name!  Hah... now this does get interesting. (Huge A flying warship with tons of weapons though... should we be worried?)

Offline Buttercup

• Firecracker
  • Junior Second Class
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2018, 03:55:03 PM »
:'( Well, guess Yukio's a lost cause right now, now that it's shown what was hinted at all along; that there was never much natural good or love in him and that all he cares about is power and being better than Rin. Too bad, they'll never be like the Elrics.

I definitely don't think that Yukio is a lost cause. He is desperate for answers...and he wants them NOW. Heck, I would want to know too if I just found out that everything up until now was basically a lie. I would be pissed. I would leave. I don't necessarily think he will join them but he knows Lucy has the answers and has told him to come see him if he wants to know them. Which is why he told Lucy to cut the crap and get to it.

Offline DemonGirl-Setsuna

• Exwire
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2018, 04:55:40 PM »
A thought had occurred to me last-night...

Rin's demon-heart could possible be stored inside Shura's empty demon-sword, either permanently or at-least temporarily until they get Kurikara repaired...

(Sorry, if I'm being/thinking too positive, but this thought is one of a few that is keeping me sane... :-[)

Offline Cloelia

• Intermediate Second Class
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2018, 05:44:50 PM »
Okay, after some good venting I'm back on track. As usual, I've got a lot to say but I want to comment a piece at a time. As someone else pointed out, facets translations are the best things in the world and she's the only one who could make me laugh in the middle of this sad shet. (I read the translation again and I couldn't stop laughing (at work *ahem*)) One of these days I'm gonna need to ask you a favor, facets.

Anyway, just a random (not negative) thought about this chapter. Reading it again and staring at Yukio's bandage over his eye, I got suddenly reminded of Yukio's glasses solo pic from Kato-sama as a Happy Holidays artwork. GUYS (and GALS): I know that after that someone theorized Yukio might not need glasses anymore (for various reasons). But, if he's still gonna need them, well, he can't exactly "access" to his old "spares collection" in his dorm's room anymore, now can he? So, I think the reason Kato-sama drew that artwork could be that... she will not be drawing THOSE GLASSES anymore and that was actually a "goodbye" pic to them.

What if Yukio is still gonna need glasses and the Illuminati will provide him a new type? Like, a new design. Or, and I hope not, what if Yukio is gonna not only change glasses and uniform but... change style too? Like... his hair. I had this sudden thought and... I don't know how to feel about it! Bon and Shura (well, she didn't exacly do it on purpose) changed their hair style when they decided to "change" their life. So it looks like Kato-sama DOES like these kinda stuff. Argh. No, I don't even wanna think about it.

Offline Karen

• Junior Second Class
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2018, 08:13:03 PM »
^ Yeah I don't think manga-Yukio is for you. They are not the Elric brothers. Maybe in the epilogue though XD.

No, he really isn't. As I said, I prefer the anime Yukio who put Rin before any knowledge or power for himself. No, they aren't like the Elric brothers and that's a shame, because Ed and Al have always had a great relationship and always will.

And talking about Yukio... I want to believe that he's doing all of this to save the world at the end, but... we have seen how dark his mind could be and how betrayed he felt from the Order. So I'm not completely sure if he'll turn to be the good guy at the end (and it would be very mainstream, wouldn't it?)

Exactly, and that's why I feel it's a lost cause now. After everything, it's way to late to have Yukio turn around and do a 180.

In fact he has just broken Komaken without knowing what would happen to Rin.
He doesn't know even if his brother could die bc of this, and instead of being worried he just joins the bad crew.

And there you have it.

Offline chinonamida

• Intermediate First Class
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2018, 09:45:20 PM »
Wait, does Satan say "That's an interesting woman..." after Shiemi gets kicked? If true, that foreshadowing makes me very uncomfortable... :o
Rather than after getting kicked, it's more after she told Yukio not to leave.

To me it sounded like a father-son conversation where the father is like "nice girl for you" (not for himself) and the son is like "don't get involved".

In fact he has just broken Komaken without knowing what would happen to Rin. He doesn't know even if his brother could die bc of this, and instead of being worried he just joins the bad crew.
Satan broke Koumaken, not Yukio.

Rin's demon-heart could possible be stored inside Shura's empty demon-sword, either permanently or at-least temporarily until they get Kurikara repaired...
Shura did say she took the demon Lightning gave her only for a short while.

What if Yukio is still gonna need glasses and the Illuminati will provide him a new type?
https://www5.animesubhd.net/watch/subbed/kissanime/tonari-no-seki-kun-episode-19/

Offline Stella96

• Junior Second Class
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2018, 10:19:09 PM »

In fact he has just broken Komaken without knowing what would happen to Rin. He doesn't know even if his brother could die bc of this, and instead of being worried he just joins the bad crew.
Satan broke Koumaken, not Yukio.
And he still doesn't mind if this kills Rin, he just takes off before knowing if he's okey.