Author Topic: Chapter 97 RAW  (Read 27195 times)

Offline earthforge

• Meat Popsicle
  • Intermediate First Class
Re: Chapter 97 RAW
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2018, 04:04:42 PM »
I still can't believe this is happening... someone pinch me! I've been wanting this scene for YEARS. So far Illuminati Yukio is everything I wanted. He's suspicious, somewhat sarcastic, and openly angry. He's on track to get answers and he still yells at Lucy. And man, I love it. My angry garbage fire.

Shiemi trying to stop Yukio when his flames were active broke my heart.

Wait, does Satan say "That's an interesting woman..." after Shiemi gets kicked? If true, that foreshadowing makes me very uncomfortable... :o

D8

ohmigod, someone protect her! protect both my bbies, rin and shiemi. wrap up in protective blankets and keep the garbage fire far away!

*collapses into mix of hysterical tears and laughing again*
"There are no answers. Only choices."

Offline Taytronics7

• Junior Second Class
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2018, 04:08:25 PM »
I still can't believe this is happening... someone pinch me! I've been wanting this scene for YEARS. So far Illuminati Yukio is everything I wanted. He's suspicious, somewhat sarcastic, and openly angry. He's on track to get answers and he still yells at Lucy. And man, I love it. My angry garbage fire.

Shiemi trying to stop Yukio when his flames were active broke my heart.

Wait, does Satan say "That's an interesting woman..." after Shiemi gets kicked? If true, that foreshadowing makes me very uncomfortable... :o

D8

ohmigod, someone protect her! protect both my bbies, rin and shiemi. wrap up in protective blankets and keep the garbage fire far away!

*collapses into mix of hysterical tears and laughing again*

Yes!!!! We must protect our children!!! I don't trust Satan around ANY woman after what happened to Yuri! (Ok, granted we don't know the specifics, but I assume it wasn't consensual)

Offline facets-and-rainbows

• Intermediate Second Class
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2018, 04:20:42 PM »
OKAY SO

(click to show/hide)

Offline Cloelia

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2018, 04:21:15 PM »
Btw, is it just me or Kato-sama's style slightly changed this chapter? At times (most of the time) I can't recognize her art at all.

Offline Mojo

• Exwire
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2018, 04:45:16 PM »
"Well I didn't do much, he mostly just self-destructed"

I'm sorry but I can't stop laughing, Renzou really knows how to piss people off. If Yukios only  objective is power, then really there's nothing guaranteeing that he won't betray the illuminati after he gets it. Bon has always been a good guy but can we take a second to appreciate how protective Izumo is towards Shiemi. That girl came a long way man. I think someone did mention that the illuminati lady was Toudo's relative in the betting thread, I wonder how big of a role Katou is gonna give her in the future now that she is "officially" introduced

Offline Cloelia

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2018, 04:52:14 PM »
I want to add more after some good translation so I'll save the rest for later.

On second thought, after this...

Before he leaves, Yukio says to Rin, "I don't know what'll happen if I go to the Illuminati. I might die. But if we DO both live through this, I'll be stronger than you. You can count on that."

...I'm feeling too depressed to comment any further. The worst scenario just materialized after a tiny ray of hope. I'm calling it now, I don't give a damn anymore: Rin and Yukio are not gonna meet till the end of the manga and Yukio's gonna die. Not 'cause he said he might, but 'cause this is taking exactly the direction I pictured time ago.

Yukio's "If we do live through this, I'll be stronger than you, you can count on that" is Yukio's counterpart of Rin's "Someday I'm gonna surpass you" and if Yukio is planning to do something REALLY big then I'm betting he's willing to fk the Illuminati through and through and save the world. This could be his idea of "surpassing" Rin and get in a position of absolute advantage over him. At this point, I don't think he's aiming to anything less than this. That's the reason for joining exactly the -world's- worst enemy. Not only to get answers, but also to fk them from the inside.

And once he'll be done, he's gonna die or let himself die 'cause he'd reach his top dream and feel accomplished.

Moral is, one more chapter or a couple more to see how this goes and I'm sorry, but I'm gonna need to drop this manga. It'd be more hurtful to keep reading than quit it now.

Offline earthforge

• Meat Popsicle
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2018, 05:20:01 PM »
-He starts going on about how Yukio will help usher in an era of true peace or whatever and Yukio is like, cut the crap, your plan is evil, your organization is evil, YOU'RE evil, this whole place is a WRETCHED HIVE OF SCUM AND VILLAINY
-And I'M evil for joining you. I've thrown away everything so I can know myself. I'm here for the power you promised me, and I'm going to get that power.

Hell yes. I didn't think we'd be so lucky to have Yukio allied with the Illuminati while still disgusted with their plans. But here we are, and I am one happy fangirl. This speech is like the dark mirror to Rin's "I'm no demon king or savior!" speech to the Grigori from chapter 14. Since Rin has always bared his soul to the world, seeing Yukio do it is exciting.

Yukio's "If we do live through this, I'll be stronger than you, you can count on that" is Yukio's counterpart of Rin's "Someday I'm gonna surpass you" and if Yukio is planning to do something REALLY big then I'm betting he's willing to fk the Illuminati through and through and save the world. This could be his idea of "surpassing" Rin and get in a position of absolute advantage over him. At this point, I don't think he's aiming to anything less than this. That's the reason for joining exactly the -world's- worst enemy. Not only to get answers, but also to fk them from the inside.

And once he'll be done, he's gonna die or let himself die 'cause he'd reach his top dream and feel accomplished.

Moral is, one more chapter or a couple more to see how this goes and I'm sorry, but I'm gonna need to drop this manga. It'd be more hurtful to keep reading than quit it now.

Yukio will never feel accomplished. No matter how much power he gains, no matter how many things he sacrifices, he will never gain the satisfaction he craves. Nothing will fill that void in his heart.

He's gonna be awful. He's gonna be vicious, cruel, and destructive. He's fallen and has finally accepted this is what he is.

But I'm fairly certain he won't die. That coward doesn't get to die. He has to own up to the consequences of his choices.

Likewise, Rin will survive. He's the main character, for Pete's sake. He's about to get a massive power-up too.

Remember when Mephisto said Shiro was raising Rin until the flames gained strength? This is the culmination. This is why Shiro had to die. So Rin could learn to control the flames through Kurikara, and then access his true power.

And Satan... he's been watching the whole time through Yukio's left eye. IMO that confirms that Satan views Rin as his son, while Yukio is only just a tool. It's things like this that make me pity Yukio despite his viciousness.

-Firey speech bubbles are all STOP FIGHTING YOU TWO, I WILL TURN THIS CAR AROUND
-(Satan: hey don't cover me up)
-We are greeted by Boss Lady, who is like "good work Shima" and Shima is like "Well I didn't do much, he mostly just self-destructed"

I did NOT expect to be rolling on the ground laughing at this chapter. Why is this so heartbreaking and funny at the same time?!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 05:25:39 PM by earthforge »

Offline Kittykat

• Junior First Class
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2018, 05:29:50 PM »
I want to add more after some good translation so I'll save the rest for later.

On second thought, after this...

Before he leaves, Yukio says to Rin, "I don't know what'll happen if I go to the Illuminati. I might die. But if we DO both live through this, I'll be stronger than you. You can count on that."

...I'm feeling too depressed to comment any further. The worst scenario just materialized after a tiny ray of hope. I'm calling it now, I don't give a damn anymore: Rin and Yukio are not gonna meet till the end of the manga and Yukio's gonna die. Not 'cause he said he might, but 'cause this is taking exactly the direction I pictured time ago.

Don’t jump the gun. You can clearly see that Yukio is remorseful for what he had done: in the plane and calling himself an evil person. The problem is that he’s still placing Rin on a pedestal and not looking at himself, or rather still sees himself as the little kid who needed protecting. He needs to break out of that and see that he is strong—though he’s still weak for giving up certain values to gain strength—I still see reconciliation, but it’s going to take a while especially since we don’t know why Satan is co-existing with Yukio right now, nor do we know what effect this has on Rin (just please no Dragonball-style, dragging it out for several chapters/episodes—how long did he spirit bomb?). I do want to see a conflict between his demon and human? hearts, but one of the key moments I still see happening from the anime is the scene with Rin on a cross and Yukio stepping in to give his blood instead. It may not happen the same way, but the message and symbolism is going to be the same—“this is MY brother, and I’m not letting you have him.”

If it’s becoming too emotional, abstain for a while until several chapters come out so the constant cliffhangers aren’t playing with your mind.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 05:43:07 PM by Kittykat »

Offline Taytronics7

• Junior Second Class
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2018, 07:02:30 PM »
I'm actually gonna be kinda dissappointed if Rin gets a huge power up. I wanted him to lose access to his powers so that he'd have to learn how to fight without his flame. Now that it looks like he's going to have complete control (cause let's face it. He's not going to die or be possessed by Satan), I'm not sure what to make of it.

I guess in order for his body to not get used to the flames, he'd have to use the key to hide it and keep it away from himself. That's really the only way I can see him go without powers, but that's just my wishful thinking.

Offline earthforge

• Meat Popsicle
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2018, 07:10:35 PM »
I can't get over how ridiculous Lucy's bathrobe looks. I mean, what is /with/ the demon kings and their terrible fashion sense? I can't help but wonder if Katou got some inspiration from Snoke's lame gold bathrobe in TLJ. I also find it funny how suspicious Yukio gets when Boss Lady introduces herself as a Toudou.

And of course... Amaimon's face.

Ladies and gentleman, meet the Demon King of the Earth!

Offline randomsnarfle

• Page
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2018, 07:11:01 PM »
Don’t jump the gun. You can clearly see that Yukio is remorseful for what he had done: in the plane and calling himself an evil person.

I'm not sure where you're seeing remorse. Shima's conversation with him makes it pretty clear that Yukio has no regrets about what he's done (Paraphrased but: "You know you won't be able to go back after this, so you better not be having any regrets-- ah, I guess you don't!"). Accepting that he's a bad person doesn't meant he regrets it, just like Todo willingly falling to a demon and betraying the Order in his first appearance doesn't mean he regrets his decisions either.

If anything, the fact that he acknowledges what he's doing is bad, and yet goes ahead and does it anyway, throwing everything and everyone who ever cared about him away, shows that he doesn't feel bad about it. Will he feel bad later? Maybe, but probably not for a long time and after a good amount of character development.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 07:12:56 PM by randomsnarfle »

Offline Cloelia

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2018, 07:19:48 PM »
Don’t jump the gun. You can clearly see that Yukio is remorseful for what he had done: in the plane and calling himself an evil person. The problem is that he’s still placing Rin on a pedestal and not looking at himself, or rather still sees himself as the little kid who needed protecting. He needs to break out of that and see that he is strong—though he’s still weak for giving up certain values to gain strength—I still see reconciliation, but it’s going to take a while especially since we don’t know why Satan is co-existing with Yukio right now, nor do we know what effect this has on Rin (just please no Dragonball-style, dragging it out for several chapters/episodes—how long did he spirit bomb?). I do want to see a conflict between his demon and human? hearts, but one of the key moments I still see happening from the anime is the scene with Rin on a cross and Yukio stepping in to give his blood instead. It may not happen the same way, but the message and symbolism is going to be the same—“this is MY brother, and I’m not letting you have him.”

If it’s becoming too emotional, abstain for a while until several chapters come out so the constant cliffhangers aren’t playing with your mind.

My problem is that I got attached to this manga in a very dark period of my life (lost my dad and my previous job to take care of him at the hospital). I know this has got nothing to do with everything. But I know how I'm done and I always had a problem giving up on something (or someone) I care, no matter how I was hurt from it/them. I changed a lot over the last 3 years so if I have to, I'm not gonna let myself being involved and hurt like in the past but I'm gonna try and put the lid over it and struggle to focus on something else.

It's a manga, it's fictional, I know, but I connect it to a period of my life where I was trying to love things of life again. It's been positive to me in many ways but if now it had to drag me down again, I'd rather stop reading it at all. As I said, it'd be hurtful either to stop following the updates or keep reading and see a sad/bad ending. I may try to skip a couple months just to see how it goes. But if I happened to come across another hint to something I don't want to see it'd be even worse.

Guess I'll let a few days pass by for now. Sorry about this, just felt like saying.

Offline Kittykat

• Junior First Class
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2018, 07:37:33 PM »
Don’t jump the gun. You can clearly see that Yukio is remorseful for what he had done: in the plane and calling himself an evil person.

I'm not sure where you're seeing remorse. Shima's conversation with him makes it pretty clear that Yukio has no regrets about what he's done (Paraphrased but: "You know you won't be able to go back after this, so you better not be having any regrets-- ah, I guess you don't!"). Accepting that he's a bad person doesn't meant he regrets it, just like Todo willingly falling to a demon and betraying the Order in his first appearance doesn't mean he regrets his decisions either.

If anything, the fact that he acknowledges what he's doing is bad, and yet goes ahead and does it anyway, throwing everything and everyone who ever cared about him away, shows that he doesn't feel bad about it. Will he feel bad later? Maybe, but probably not for a long time and after a good amount of character development.

I see it as him realizing that what he’s done is bad but as a necessary sacrifice. It has shown time and again that he will sacrifice what is necessary to get a result—the end justifies the means. He internalizes and cares not what Shima has to say. He is remorseful, but he has to push forward to obtain his desires. As I stated, it’s pretty weak of him to let go of some values to gain strength, and that’s the fallacy that he has to overcome.

And Shima’s funny that way. He’s flippant with the truth. He’s been toeing the line with Yukio, so you can’t really take his “Ah! I guess you don’t!” seriously.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 10:25:56 PM by Kittykat »

Offline Elaedan

• Oni-san, kochira, te no naru hou e
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2018, 07:59:13 PM »
Long time no see~
I am glad that I returned after a break, as the series have gotten better again. Just couldn't handle the chapters in between, but this one brought my faith back into this series even though some of this is till kind of too predictable and first anime season-ish.

Remember that I speculated and had a theory that if Kurikara breaks that Rin won't die but his demon heart just returns to the right place? Seems to be happening! ^^¨

Now I only would want the rest of the demon kings and bros to be revealed - but A+ for Satan! It was super interesting how he was talking to Rin about son-father talk (oyako no kaiwa in raws? Not 100% sure as read really fast) and only referred to Rin as his son. Though Yukio's powers or if he has some are still in the shadows as some of the things he did might count as Satan's handiwork... >___>

And glad that the boss lady finally got the name everyone has been waiting for, and glad also that there is the Toudou connection. Makes the relatioships colourful.

About the Satan's Shiemi comment, I found it quite plain, like he was just noting "what a tough woman to rise against me" kind of way. Still Shiemi's mother's story in unresolved, so there can come something, though at this point I just would want the Yukio's situation to be solved. Ever since the Impure King Arc it just have hang there and no answers, even this small revelation doesn't count to the years of amount of waiting xD SO I can still wait a little bit for the Shiemi revelation if just we could get over with this plot point first.. I hope I could explain myself clearly enough...

I feel also that Katou sensei's style has again evolved a little bit though can still recognize it as hers.

EDIT: It has been about five years when Yukio's plot line started...or is it over? I've lost count :D Well shouldn't complain bc D.Gray-man and Lavi fans have it rougher, almost a decade???
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 08:08:09 PM by Elaedan »
~魔神の落胤~

Offline Cloelia

« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2018, 08:11:39 PM »
About the Satan's Shiemi comment, I found it quite plain, like he was just noting "what a though woman to rise against me" kind of way.

Oh, here's another fan I read posts about but never "met" since I joined this forum, so pleasure to meet you.

Shiemi and Nee vs. Satan/Yukio. Another anime reference.