35 (60.3%)
working for someone else
14 (24.1%)
possessed/controled by something
5 (8.6%)
neither (please explain)
4 (6.9%)

Total Members Voted: 57

Author Topic: Shima - spy or lie?  (Read 69812 times)

Offline MetallicArcher

• Senior Second Class
Re: Shima - spy or lie?
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2013, 05:42:26 AM »
I was thinking really hard to come up with a theory to explain how Shima is not the spy, but then I saw this:

... and I was like 900% done.

Offline NeeNee

• Administrator
  • Senior First Class
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2013, 10:31:02 AM »
^ Why? It's not like we didn't already know he had an unhealthy interest in Izumo.

But this is the guy who earned the nickname 'the Erotic Demon' in primary school, so... yeah.

Offline VacuumTan

• Exwire
  • 天使の笑顔も崩れてさ
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2013, 12:01:07 PM »
My dad blocking the internet with his work really choose one of the worst times ever to do so. You finally get to go online and then... this. Do you guys even notice how much you write at times? D:

Err, anyways. Somehow, I can't help but not really feel like Shima is a spy. Just, like, not completely. It's almost as if I did accept it into my head but my mind won't wrap around it. Because it just seems to have so many loose ends hanging around right now.

"Oh, that huge-ass familiar? Yeah, I could always use that. Just didn't feel like it", and the sudden boost of fighting-skill are the things that throw me off the most in this whole scenario.

As everyone has already said at least once, in the IK-arc, he and Konekomaru were in a pretty tight situation. And maybe he didn't use it then because he could think far enough to not use it for he would cancel Rin's flames in case he did something. But that seems highly unlikely.

And with that apparent amount of fighting experience... hell, his older brothers seem kind of weak in comparison to him, with Renzou just doing a Naruto-style jump out of the blue. While never setting down Izumo at that. Which I, personally, don't understand. If Takara was focused on him, then it probably would have been a lot safer to set Izumo down so he wouldn't wave her around all the time. Like he didn't entirely care about her getting hurt. Or sick to her stomach.

Somehow, I believe that he couldn't have been trained a lot, though. I mean, him, Bon and Konekomaru were pretty much glued together by their hips since they were little. Those two are smart enough to notice if there was something fishy going on with their friend. Like, a double-identity. Even living in the dorms, they'd wonder where Renzou went if he were away all the time. Unless he did it at night. Everyone always does everything at night.

Also, he simply knocking Izumo out in the end because she wanted to fight on her own... it doesn't quite make sense to me. Izumo thinks of him as an ally, at least. So it would have been to his benefit to have her fight alongside him, which would even wear her out and make her easier to take care of. But instead he pulls that.

Which made me think the following: In the beginning he thinks about notifying Shura. He doesn't do that, but if he had had more time, I believe he'd actually have done that. So he went about, protected Izumo and caused a huge-ass ruckus that would make the others pay attention and go there. Maybe, along those lines, he caught up on what the situation was and put up a façade and acted as the spy so he could save Izumo's butt. Because he digs her. Though that familiar still doesn't make sense.
So, yeah, I will just be over here, pretending that I wasn't naïve- go ahead and prove my every point wrong, or else I'll feel like I went overboard with my shipping.

... Alternatively, how about an evil split personality? I mean, that's a common thing in manga, right? And if they don't come from ancient Egyptian artifacts, a mental strain makes them appear, too. Like responsibility.
So the evil schizo-side might be the spy? And it jumped at Renzou trying to protect Izumo, took over and summoned up the demon. Which would be why Renzou never used it. Because he doesn't know it's there. Or... something.

So, yeah, too much Yugioh in the last weeks.
As if to spite this hateful world, I decided to love it.

Offline chinonamida

• Intermediate First Class
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2013, 04:27:04 PM »
But this is the guy who earned the nickname 'the Erotic Demon' in primary school, so... yeah.
is that how they translated it in the official english version?!
it's ero-majin.
majin is more like an evil spirit than a demon, but whatever.
more importantly, ero can mean erotic but here it means perverted.
so, the perverted evil spirit.

If Takara was focused on him, then it probably would have been a lot safer to set Izumo down so he wouldn't wave her around all the time. Like he didn't entirely care about her getting hurt. Or sick to her stomach.
Takara was focused on izumo. They were fighting to get a hold of her, no?

Somehow, I believe that he couldn't have been trained a lot, though. I mean, him, Bon and Konekomaru were pretty much glued together by their hips since they were little. Those two are smart enough to notice if there was something fishy going on with their friend. Like, a double-identity. Even living in the dorms, they'd wonder where Renzou went if he were away all the time. Unless he did it at night. Everyone always does everything at night.
like I said before, there's a limit to how much people can spend time together.
If you want some proof, remember during the time renzou and rin were searching for a date for the dance party. renzou told rin he would introduce him to is female friends. all these girls, they didnt became friend with him just because he was shooting compliments in the distance with ryuuji and koneko behind him.
And during the festival, you can see renzou, ryuuji and koneko are not in the same class. Because they work for different class projects.
Also they were surprised koneko was in the sutra loving club. I rest my case.

Also, he simply knocking Izumo out in the end because she wanted to fight on her own... it doesn't quite make sense to me. Izumo thinks of him as an ally, at least. So it would have been to his benefit to have her fight alongside him, which would even wear her out and make her easier to take care of. But instead he pulls that.
she didn't wanted to fight, she wanted to go get help. if renzou wants to abduct her she mustn't go to more people who would interfere with her abduction.

Which made me think the following: In the beginning he thinks about notifying Shura.
thats not for sure. he said he would notify someone. but we dont know who and we dont know if he was really going to do it or just lying.
He doesn't do that, but if he had had more time, I believe he'd actually have done that. So he went about, protected Izumo and caused a huge-ass ruckus that would make the others pay attention and go there. Maybe, along those lines, he caught up on what the situation was and put up a façade and acted as the spy so he could save Izumo's butt. Because he digs her.
Actually this above is the best point for renzou not being a spy I heard so far.
If hes the average guy we all thought he was, then all he knew was shura asked them to find izumo under the vatican's orders and to find takara under her orders. he doesnt know why he needs to find neither of them. then he finds takara trying to harm izumo. . . but he interfered at a perfect timing, right? so its probable he was waiting and listening. so he heard takara saying hes a moderator and heard his duty is to make sure the illuminaty takes izumo safely. So. he could have deduced takara was working for mephisto and planed to fake being from the illuminati.
Though that familiar still doesn't make sense.
thats the problem.
So, yeah, I will just be over here, pretending that I wasn't naïve- go ahead and prove my every point wrong, or else I'll feel like I went overboard with my shipping.
... Alternatively, how about an evil split personality? I mean, that's a common thing in manga, right? And if they don't come from ancient Egyptian artifacts, a mental strain makes them appear, too. Like responsibility.
So the evil schizo-side might be the spy? And it jumped at Renzou trying to protect Izumo, took over and summoned up the demon. Which would be why Renzou never used it. Because he doesn't know it's there. Or... something.
thats overboard T T
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 04:33:33 PM by chinonamida »

Offline NeeNee

• Administrator
  • Senior First Class
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2013, 05:00:03 PM »
My dad blocking the internet with his work really choose one of the worst times ever to do so. You finally get to go online and then... this. Do you guys even notice how much you write at times? D:
Yes, and I love it. :D

Err, anyways. Somehow, I can't help but not really feel like Shima is a spy. Just, like, not completely. It's almost as if I did accept it into my head but my mind won't wrap around it. Because it just seems to have so many loose ends hanging around right now.
I think we're all still in denial.

Well, Yukio and Rin were living together too, and Yukio went and became a middle-class exorcist behind his back.

Also what chino said.

She wanted to run away. You can't let your target run away.

Yeah, but we already have Rin, and maybe Yukio. Giving everyone an Overpowered Evil Side would be way overdone.

Offline GolPhee

• Junior Second Class
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2013, 07:14:09 PM »
Just noticed: http://www.mangapanda.com/ao-no-exorcist/48/23

Izumo asks when Shima got such a powerful demon and he takes a second to respond, then responds with a question mark. It might just be a translator issue, but it sounds pretty likely that the story of him having that familliar since he was a kid is bull.

He's definitely not being controlled by Takara/Puppet because if that were the case, Puppet would have no reason to state that Shima is a spy on the last page of the chapter. That said, something weird happened when Takara opened his eyes - it makes me wonder what the kid would be capable of if he was fully concious . . .

Offline chinonamida

« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2013, 07:40:11 PM »
Just noticed: http://www.mangapanda.com/ao-no-exorcist/48/23

Izumo asks when Shima got such a powerful demon and he takes a second to respond, then responds with a question mark. It might just be a translator issue, but it sounds pretty likely that the story of him having that familliar since he was a kid is bull.
she asks "since when?" and he answers "humm. since I was a kid?"
(whether hes sincere or not,) his hesitation only means its since as far as he can remember.

Offline GolPhee

• Junior Second Class
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2013, 09:06:33 PM »
Not necessarily, and it would explain why he hasn't ever used it before now, even though there have been numerous life/death situations. Heck, he could have used it on Amaimon!

Offline chinonamida

« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2013, 09:24:49 PM »
I know he could be lying. I actually think he is.

but Im arguing hes a good liar.

Offline skatherhead42

• Page
« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2013, 09:59:31 PM »
Has anyone considered the possibility that this could be a fake Shima? Like he got swapped out or something at some point and now there's this guy who can somehow look exactly like him, and pull the wool over the eyes of his closest friends? Ridiculous I know but this entire situation is ridiculousness incarnate so...

Offline chinonamida

« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2013, 11:19:31 PM »

Offline NeeNee

• Administrator
  • Senior First Class
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2013, 09:30:47 PM »
If it is a shapeshifter, I hope it gets discovered real soon. I really don't want fake people running around among the real ones. Way too freaky, and too much possibilities for a cop-out.

Offline ddanndt

• Page
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2013, 05:59:13 AM »
I think that he's a spy (for either the Illuminati , the Vatican or someone working at the Vatican) but whatever he is, he's really really strong. Controlling a demon familiar is hard and tiring as he puts it but doing it while fighting at the same time (and carrying Izumo) is completely OP. I think that one of their teachers said that demon tamers were rare and that fighting while controlling a familiar is also hard. 

Offline Wikkelsoee

« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2013, 06:35:37 AM »
^ They haven't really been fighting that long, though. We don't know if he has a time limit.

But if he can summon Yamentaka, why didn't he show any signs of talent in the Tamer test?

Offline Anya

• Junior First Class
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2013, 02:20:16 PM »
^ Because it would be a bother? It's Shima we're talking about.

I wouldn't call Shima a lie. Noone asked him if he works for Illuminati, right?  8)

We even can't be sure that he really does work for Illuminati and if he does, we don't know what are the Illuminati. Some of them actually look rather nice (apart from Toudou, the princess and the creep in bed).