Author Topic: Mythology in Blue Exorcist  (Read 25469 times)

Offline MetallicArcher

• Senior Second Class
Mythology in Blue Exorcist
« on: June 29, 2013, 05:25:25 AM »
Ok, so I have a crazzy idea about the character emblem for Mephisto and the True Cross Academy Symbol that is present on the student's ties:

Mephisto's emblem reads:

The text on Mephisto's says something along the lines of "fili dei miserere xxxx" I can't read the last word, it's too small...
if the last word is "mei", then it means "son of god have mercy on me". I think the full saying is "domine iesu christe fili dei miserere mei peccatoris" "lord jesus christ son of god have mercy on me the sinner"

and the symbol on the ties is:

HeavenlyArcher has given us a possible answer for the school symbol:

It's either the letter "Tam" which refers to the Buda Tara

http://www.visiblemantra.org/tam.html

or the letter Tram which refers to the Buda Ratnasambhava.

(click to show/hide)

http://www.visiblemantra.org/ratnasambhava.html

I lean more towards "Tam". These letters are part of the "Siddhaṃ alphabet" which is used in Hinduism to write Sanskrit texts: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siddha%E1%B9%83_alphabet

Sanskrit, eh? I guess they really get their ideas from all over the place.

I wonder if there's an actual link with that Buddha...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tara_(Buddhism)

Now, I have been looking a little into legends about Tara, this is all from Wikipedia, I haven't had time to check more extensive and closer to original sources:

Tibetan Buddhism

Tārā is regarded as a Bodhisattva of compassion and action. She is the female aspect of Avalokitesvara (Chenrezig) and in some origin stories she comes from his tears:

Then at last Avalokiteshvara arrived at the summit of Marpori, the 'Red Hill', in Lhasa. Gazing out, he perceived that the lake on Otang, the 'Plain of Milk', resembled the Hell of Ceaseless Torment. Myriads of being were undergoing the agonies of boiling, burning, hunger, thirst, yet they never perished, but let forth hideous cries of anguish all the while. When Avalokiteshvara saw this, tears sprang to his eyes. A teardrop from his right eye fell to the plain and became the reverend Bhrikuti, who declared: "Son of your race! As you are striving for the sake of sentient beings in the Land of Snows, intercede in their suffering, and I shall be your companion in this endeavour!" Bhrikuti was then reabsorbed into Avalokiteshvara's right eye, and was reborn in a later life as the Nepalese princess Tritsun. A teardrop from his left eye fell upon the plain and became the reverend Tara. She also declared, "Son of your race! As you are striving for the sake of sentient beings in the Land of Snows, intercede in their suffering, and I shall be your companion in this endeavour!" Tara was also reabsorbed into Avalokiteshvara's left eye, and was reborn in a later life as the Chinese princess Kongjo (Princess Wencheng).

Tārā is also known as a saviouress, as a heavenly deity who hears the cries of beings experiencing misery in samsara.

Buddhist bodhisattva

In this tale there is a young princess who lives in a different world system, millions of years in the past. Her name is Yeshe Dawa, which means "Moon of Primordial Awareness". For quite a number of aeons she makes offerings to the Buddha of that world system, whose name was Tonyo Drupa. She receives special instruction from him concerning bodhicitta—the heart-mind of a bodhisattva. After doing this, some monks approach her and suggest that because of her level of attainment she should next pray to be reborn as a male to progress further. At this point she lets the monks know in no uncertain terms that from the point of view of Enlightenment it is only "weak minded worldlings" who see gender as a barrier to attaining enlightenment. She sadly notes there have been few who wish to work for the welfare of beings in a female form, though. Therefore she resolves to always be reborn as a female bodhisattva, until samsara is no more. She then stays in a palace in a state of meditation for some ten million years, and the power of this practice releases tens of millions of beings from suffering. As a result of this, Tonyo Drupa tells her she will henceforth manifest supreme bodhi as the Goddess Tārā in many world systems to come.

Tārā as a saviouress

Another quality of feminine principle which she shares with the dakinis is playfulness. As John Blofeld expands upon in Bodhisattva of Compassion, Tārā is frequently depicted as a young sixteen-year-old girlish woman. She often manifests in the lives of dharma practitioners when they take themselves, or spiritual path too seriously. There are Tibetan tales in which she laughs at self-righteousness, or plays pranks on those who lack reverence for the feminine. In Magic Dance: The Display of the Self-Nature of the Five Wisdom Dakinis, Thinley Norbu explores this as "Playmind". Applied to Tārā one could say that her playful mind can relieve ordinary minds which become rigidly serious or tightly gripped by dualistic distinctions. She takes delight in an open mind and a receptive heart then. For in this openness and receptivity her blessings can naturally unfold and her energies can quicken the aspirants spiritual development.

Two ways of approach to her began to emerge. In one common folk and lay practitioners would simply directly appeal to her to ease some of the travails of worldly life. In the second, she became a Tantric deity whose practice would be used by monks or tantric yogis in order to develop her qualities in themselves, ultimately leading through her to the source of her qualities, which are Enlightenment, Enlightened Compassion, and Enlightened Mind.

Ok, there are a couple of things I highlighted over there and see can have a relation with Mephisto:

- Compassion, Mephisto's emblem begs for the Son of God's compassion and the Academy he directs emblem has the "Sacred Seed" for the Buda of compassion.

- In Tibetan Buddhism, that line "Son of your race", this manga has had a long developed on Rin and Yukio having trouble to accept themselves as half-demons (Rin has succeed, Yukio is still on his way) and Mephisto congratulated Rin for settling on the idea.

- Buddhist bodhisattva, she is some sort of "interdimensional goddess" + she speaks of "weak minded worldlings" and that kind of reminded me of Mephisto's speech about human desires on "The Mad Ravings of Mephisto".

- Playfulness, she dislikes those who takes things too seriously, I can count with the fingers of one hand the time Mephisto has acted "serious".

- Enlightenment, the whole Illuminati ordeal and how Shura suspects Mephisto of being an spy for them.

Ok, I might be reeding a bit too much into it... but, something that never seemed right for me was that Shura claims the high ranks of the Order do not truts him, yet he escalated to the point of being in charge of one the Order's branches; he is all shady, yet Fujimoto seemed to trust him; why on earth did he join the exorcist in the first place if he ranks that high in Gehena?

Offline themoonlandian

• Intermediate First Class
  • I'm a tree
Re: Mythology in Blue Exorcist
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 04:47:14 AM »
That made sense to me!

To me also, there is the part with the teardrops coming from the right and left eyes.The impure king had both his eyes taken, right? When I read that that is what I immediately thought of. Though the impure princess had two parts of her heart... So maybe it doesn't fit, but who knows, maybe the mangaka had some reference to that?
-A man may live after losing his life but not after losing his honour.
-A good laugh and a long sleep are the two best cures.

Youtube account

Offline Paradox

• Intermediate Second Class
  • "Despite everything, it's still you."
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 03:38:36 PM »
There is a theory about a connection between the Amahara garden and Izumo:
http://quincymaid.tumblr.com/post/56670479143/the-amahara-garden-theory

Offline NeeNee

• Administrator
  • Senior First Class
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 05:44:06 PM »
^ Wow, that's a long theory. :o

I don't really get it though. So they think Izumo comes from the family that's holding the garden..? How would that even play into the story?

But I must say, I admire the extent to which people go to find connections. :))
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 04:21:14 AM by NeeNee »

Offline NeeNee

• Administrator
  • Senior First Class
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2013, 12:32:20 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamantaka

There are three types of death spoken of in the Yamāntaka Tantra : Outer death is the regular end of life, which is embodied by Yama, Lord of Death, who resides in the south, seven stories under the earth. The inner death is ignorance of the true nature of non-dual reality. Instinctive habitual grasping and aversion to objectively "real" objects and subjects arises from this ignorance. The secret death is dualistic appearance on the subtlest level of clear light mind and illusory body. With the practice of Yamāntaka one overcomes those types of death and gains immortality as a Buddha.

Pff, complicated. But I guess it does show a connection to Shima's story of physical death and death of the soul.

The Dutch Wiki page also mentions that he is often depicted with the face and the appearance of a buffalo.

Offline NeeNee

• Administrator
  • Senior First Class
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 04:25:38 AM »
Since we're on the topic of the Demon Kings, here's some more mythology from weazulgrl:

http://weazulgrl.tumblr.com/post/32791185857/so-now-that-we-know-mephistos-real-name-and
More background on Mephisto. I wonder how much of it will be written into the story.

http://weazulgrl.tumblr.com/post/32792399510/furthermore-on-a-tangent-related-to-samael-related
And a legend that fits the twins. Might be where she got part of her inspiration.

Offline weazulgrl

• Maniacal Mustelid
  • Exwire
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 02:06:54 AM »
Since we're on the topic of the Demon Kings, here's some more mythology from weazulgrl:

http://weazulgrl.tumblr.com/post/32791185857/so-now-that-we-know-mephistos-real-name-and
More background on Mephisto. I wonder how much of it will be written into the story.

http://weazulgrl.tumblr.com/post/32792399510/furthermore-on-a-tangent-related-to-samael-related
And a legend that fits the twins. Might be where she got part of her inspiration.
the more I think about it the more I think she's intentionally merging the angel Samael with the demon Samael. we've got that bit in the Impure King arc where Uchuusma says that angel and demon are just human terms, indicating the nature of both is at least similar. that would be a good reason to go with the name Samael instead of Oriens (altho at least one source, Mathers who is one of the founders of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn, does connect Oriens to the angel Samael instead of just having them have the same name as that angel, only they call the angel Samael a fallen angel, something older sources don't indicate). that could really be an interesting angle to take, altho it could also mean they go the Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne route and reveal Satan's basically a darker side of God (but if done well enough that could be awesome too).
weazulgrl.tumblr.com
kageitachi.deviantart.com
weasyl.com/profile/weazul
Mugetsu Ookamiza on Gaia Online

Offline MetallicArcher

• Senior Second Class
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 01:43:43 PM »
It does look like Lucy went all out with the bombings:

http://nii-chan-tamer.tumblr.com/post/68947845564/failmacaw-the-nine-choirs-of-heaven-an

Though I hope we haven't seen the highest of the light kin yet. Or if so, that we don't see Seraphs for a while to give space for others of that kin to show up.

Offline demonsandfleas

• Honorary Demon
  • Page
  • I like Mephisto.
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 01:08:43 AM »
The Siddham character "ham" is the one on the t-shirt above. Here's what it looks like in calligraphy:

HAM is the one on all the AoEx merchandise and in the logos. It stands for a dharmapala by the name of Acala (in Japanese Fudo-myoo), who holds a sword and is engulfed in flames.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acala

And the individual character logos are based on the 8 auspicious symbols of Tibetan Buddhism -

So there you go.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 01:29:43 AM by demonsandfleas »

Offline MetallicArcher

• Senior Second Class
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 03:45:39 AM »
Can you explain that last thing. .. about the character emblems being based of the 8 Auspicious Symbols?

I recall Bon's is literally the Dharmachakra and I recall comparing Amaimon's to the Treasure Vase... but I don't see the others.

Offline SimpleBliss

• Junior First Class
  • When in doubt, talk it out
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2016, 05:21:32 AM »
Mostly just from emblem resemblance, this is what it looks like to me:

Conch Shell: Rin
Lotus Flower: Shiemi
Wheel of Dharma: Yukio
Parasol: Mephisto
Endless Knot: Konekomaru
Golden Fish: Izumo
Victory Banner: Bon
Treasure Vase: Amaimon

Sorry Shima, Shura, Angel, Illuminati, and Kuro. Y'all don't get one.

Offline MetallicArcher

• Senior Second Class
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 03:00:05 PM »
Other emblems could allude to the 8 auspicious substances or the 8 auspicious gestures.

I personally saw the twin fish for Koneko or Yukio because they are sometimes drawn swimming in circles.

Though, I do wonder... if this is the direction Katou ia going with the emblems, what does it imply for Lightning that he was given none?

Offline xyzt

• Junior Second Class
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 04:48:57 PM »
The character emblems seem to be made up of the eight auspicious symbols rather than just resembling them. The lotus flower is present in both Konekomaru and Renzo's emblem and the wheel of dharma is also present in Suguro's emblem if I remember correctly.

Offline Paradox

• "Despite everything, it's still you."
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2016, 07:08:29 PM »
http://raw.senmanga.com/Ao_no_Exorcist/76/2
I'm pretty sure Shura is talking about this 8-headed snake named Yamata no Orochi.
(Could someone translate Shura's words?)

Offline facets-and-rainbows

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2017, 06:12:10 AM »
Literature probably also fits in the old mythology thread, right?

So in chapter 86 Mephisto mentions that Drac used the fake name "Nicolae Eminescu" in Section 13's records, right? Based on quick googling, I'm guessing Katoh got the name Eminescu from Mihai Eminescu, a famous Romanian poet.

Eminescu's most famous poem is called Luceafărul ("Evening Star"/"Lucifer"). It's about the star Lucifer totally crushing on a human princess, and she thinks he's kind of hot but mostly terrifying, and they can't be together because she's mortal and he's not.

At one point Lucifer goes to God and is like "hey can I be a human instead of a star" and God is like "I am not turning you mortal for some girl you've met like twice, go to your room and think about your life choices." Good thing, too, because the girl fell in love with a regular human guy while Lucifer was off talking to God. So now he's just sad and sulky instead of needlessly mortal. Major props to everyone for being pretty sensible in this tragic poem, Shakespeare would have had half the country dead by the third stanza with a plot like that.

Just thought it was neat that one of the heads of Section 13 was named after a guy who wrote a poem about failed human/celestial romance and Lucifer wanting to come to earth.