Author Topic: Chapter 48 Discussion  (Read 59003 times)

Offline NeeNee

• Administrator
  • Senior First Class
Re: Chapter 48 Discussion (Raws)
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2013, 11:29:42 PM »
I have considered adding a chat to this forum (someone asked about that), but I'm not sure how much bandwidth it would take... I might still do it later.
if bandwidth is an issue you can probably try a third party option and figure out how to link to it. there's also the option of going with an IRC channel and having a java interface like qwebirc or Mibbit for those who don't have an IRC client (there are plenty of free options for those) can access it thru their browser.

I'm afraid I didn't understand any of that. ;D I don't know much about computers or software.

If you mean we could just use a Tinychat and post the link here, that's always an option. What I'm hesitating about is adding a permanent chat as a modification to the forum software, like discussed here: http://www.theblueknight.host-ed.me/forum/index.php/topic,4.msg2735.html#msg2735

Offline rofflepoffle

• Page
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2013, 11:43:10 PM »
after this chapter, I took a glance over at Renzou's character traits from the manga:

Renzō's pastimes and talents are: smiling, lying, fake politeness and buying dirty books even if a girl is working on the cash register.
The first half of his name, "Ren" ( 廉), means "pure/ honest". And the second half, "Zō" (造) means "structure"

the lying/honest stuff was kind of interesting to me, all things considered, haha. I'm really interested to see where he stands, but I have to agree, it'd break my heart just a bit if he turns out to be a villain.
( also, thank you to you guys who translated bits and pieces of important bits in this chapter. the suspense is still killing me P: )

Offline weazulgrl

• Maniacal Mustelid
  • Exwire
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2013, 11:44:20 PM »
I have considered adding a chat to this forum (someone asked about that), but I'm not sure how much bandwidth it would take... I might still do it later.
if bandwidth is an issue you can probably try a third party option and figure out how to link to it. there's also the option of going with an IRC channel and having a java interface like qwebirc or Mibbit for those who don't have an IRC client (there are plenty of free options for those) can access it thru their browser.

I'm afraid I didn't understand any of that. ;D I don't know much about computers or software.

If you mean we could just use a Tinychat and post the link here, that's always an option. What I'm hesitating about is adding a permanent chat as a modification to the forum software, like discussed here: http://www.theblueknight.host-ed.me/forum/index.php/topic,4.msg2735.html#msg2735
apparently there's mibbit for simplemachines if that helps: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1256

IRC is actually pretty easy to deal with and the bandwidth usage shouldn't really affect you too much since the actual chatting uses third party server for the actual chatting and there are many options of public servers to use with it.
weazulgrl.tumblr.com
kageitachi.deviantart.com
weasyl.com/profile/weazul
Mugetsu Ookamiza on Gaia Online

Offline earthforge

• Meat Popsicle
  • Intermediate First Class
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2013, 11:55:18 PM »
It'd be hilarious if the Shimas were really working with the Iluminati all along, but unlikely.

Renzou really sounds the same, like nothing has changed. There's been no behavioral changes or anything else. That's why he really seems like The Mole - he was allied with the Illuminati from the beginning. I doubt Toudou pivoted him, considering Toudou has been undercover for years.

I find it interesting how the Illuminati and Order are competing to lock down resources and people. The Order basically had Yukio swear on a Morinas contract to both verify he spoke the truth and warn him of any deviations from normal. Now the Illuminati are trying to steal Izumo away.

Which makes me wonder who the hell Izumo is.

I also find it interesting that the two students who obsessed on not dying are Izumo and Renzou, who we see now both have critical reasons to not sacrifice their lives.
"There are no answers. Only choices."

Offline Somerandom2

• Page
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2013, 01:30:47 AM »
after this chapter, I took a glance over at Renzou's character traits from the manga:

Renzō's pastimes and talents are: smiling, lying, fake politeness and buying dirty books even if a girl is working on the cash register.
The first half of his name, "Ren" ( 廉), means "pure/ honest". And the second half, "Zō" (造) means "structure"

the lying/honest stuff was kind of interesting to me, all things considered, haha. I'm really interested to see where he stands, but I have to agree, it'd break my heart just a bit if he turns out to be a villain.
( also, thank you to you guys who translated bits and pieces of important bits in this chapter. the suspense is still killing me P: )

That's something I noticed after reading the latest chapter also. I went on Shima's wikia to read his profile and In trivia it mentioned those traits. That's some foreshadowing to show he might really be some kind of spy. Although at the same time it's unlikely that one of the main group would be totally evil in a shounen series. Even if he is an enemy I imagine him having some good reasons and not being like a complete villain.

Offline NeeNee

• Administrator
  • Senior First Class
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2013, 01:45:48 AM »
The Question Corner in volume ? mentioned that the reason why Koneko and Bon are calling him Shima (as opposed to Renzou) is because he was always pulling crap at school, so they didn't want people to know they were associated with him. But I had the impression it was mostly harmless stuff like lifting the girls' skirts and the like - not actual big lies or crimes.

Offline chinonamida

• Intermediate First Class
« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2013, 02:18:46 AM »
But if he is the spy, how would he even come in contact with the Illuminati?
they contacted him. it doesnt seem improbable.
He seems to be too lazy to seek them out himself,
"seems", I think thats the key word.
but why would they be interested in "hiring" him? Even if they just wanted a spy in Rin's class, how would they know that Renzou was the one for the job?
when you look at how many people theres in the class, you see theres not that much exorcist material out there. and this exorcist school seems to be the only one in japan.
so lets see. . . he has the right age, he speaks japanese and lives in japan, he has a noticeable and convincing reason to attend this school, he already know a lot about demons and the order, he has some fighting skills, he wants to leave his current organization. . . maybe theres more but thats already looking fine, no?
Hmm, Toudou found him? Since he was in the order and he taught Juuzou, so... And Renzo is the came case as Saburouta - the youngest of family, that wanted him to become exorcist.
renzou's case is similar to saburouta's. but one was in tokyo and the other one in kyoto. of course it doesnt make it impossible, but still unlikely.
the illuminati is an organization, they probably have a lot of members who can do recruitment. 
I doubt Toudou pivoted him, considering Toudou has been undercover for years.
what are you saying? he did it with mamushi.

Offline MetallicArcher

• Senior Second Class
« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2013, 02:32:53 AM »
They didn't want people to know they were associated with him? and they considered themselves friends?

Sorry, but no! That's not how it works! Renzou (judging by that tiny flashback during the IK Arc) seems to have a lot going on emotionally around his family and his duties to the sect and I don't think it helps if his friends are ashamed of being acquittance with him.

Offline evenwiththerain

• Junior First Class
  • i dont speak wind
« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2013, 02:41:51 AM »
They didn't want people to know they were associated with him? and they considered themselves friends?

Sorry, but no! That's not how it works! Renzou (judging by that tiny flashback during the IK Arc) seems to have a lot going on emotionally around his family and his duties to the sect and I don't think it helps if his friends are ashamed of being acquittance with him.

wow a lot of people starting joining!
and just like archer said above, this family and friend deal was probably too much pressure on him. if I remember on that short story in which renzo's brother had that concert, you could tell shima didn't like that lifestyle
i would like to think he cracked around that time and probably did become a spy for whatever reason.
Having Shima be Rin's enemy at this point would make sense since shima got this power and would make for drama as rin's enemy.
but until we get translations, im not sure I can put more thought into whether he is a spy or not

and yes, constantly izumo said in the begining of the manga that she could not die, that she couldnt die in that situation, so whatever she has to do is something big, my guess!

Offline NeeNee

• Administrator
  • Senior First Class
« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2013, 02:48:55 AM »

It's also his fault for misbehaving so much, no? And I think it's quite normal for primary school kids to try and avoid unnecessary teasing. They probably wouldn't react the same way now, but the naming habit just stuck.

and yes, constantly izumo said in the begining of the manga that she could not die, that she couldnt die in that situation, so whatever she has to do is something big, my guess!

I always thought she had to stay alive because she wanted to take revenge.

Offline MetallicArcher

• Senior Second Class
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2013, 02:50:48 AM »
And it actually makes Bon getting offended at Izumo calling out bullshit on him hating on Rin for being Satan's son a lot more hypocrite if he had been doing this to his own friend...

Talking about Renzou's past.. do we have any clue on how old was that older brother of his who died during the Blue Night?

It's also his fault for misbehaving so much, no? And I think it's quite normal for primary school kids to try and avoid unnecessary teasing. They probably wouldn't react the same way now, but the naming habit just stuck.

I always thought she had to stay alive because she wanted to take revenge.

Yes, he might have misbehaved and it's true we are all quite some cowards during Primary School but, they all lived together so it's not like they didn't know him to know connect to what he was going through. It was still wrong of them to give him their back (I was given the back by my friends during primary school so maybe I'm just making and emotional connection and overreacting).

As for Izumo, guess it won't take long for it to be revealed, if it's like I suggested in the chat the other night and she is some heir of some important demon linked family, she may have some important duty she feels she needs to fulfil.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 02:56:54 AM by HeavenlyArcher »

Offline NeeNee

• Administrator
  • Senior First Class
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2013, 02:56:21 AM »
And it actually makes Bon getting offended at Izumo calling out bullshit on him hating on Rin for being Satan's son a lot more hypocrite if he had been doing this to his own friend...
What do you mean? When did he ever hate on Shima because of who his father was?

Talking about Renzou's past.. do we have any clue on how old was that older brother of his who died during the Blue Night?
He died during the Blue Night? Where did they mention that?

And I believe the brothers were all about five years apart, so... 25 or something?

Offline MetallicArcher

• Senior Second Class
« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2013, 03:16:26 AM »
What do you mean? When did he ever hate on Shima because of who his father was?

He died during the Blue Night? Where did they mention that?

And I believe the brothers were all about five years apart, so... 25 or something?

Not hating for his family but giving his back to a friend for whatever reason if that friend had done nothing bad to him...

About his brother, here:

Chapter 17: Go to Kyoto

(click to show/hide)

Chapter 30: Omen

(click to show/hide)

Offline NeeNee

• Administrator
  • Senior First Class
« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2013, 03:29:15 AM »
Not hating for his family but giving his back to a friend for whatever reason if that friend had done nothing bad to him...

But he did do something bad. He was misbehaving to the point that it gave him and everyone around him a bad rep.

About his brother, here:

Chapter 17: Go to Kyoto

(click to show/hide)

Chapter 30: Omen

(click to show/hide)

I see. I remembered the second, but not where they mentioned the Blue Night.

Offline Anya

• Junior First Class
« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2013, 07:25:47 AM »
I think it wasn't teasing, calling him Shima. I mean, they probably did hang out together all the time and calling a boy by his last name is pretty normal. It's not like they were giving him nasty nicknames. It was a very polite mocking, more to laugh along with Shima instead of at him. I'm sure that if he even cared about such a trivial thing then he was annoyed to be treated like an adult when he wanted to act all childish, rather than feeling left out. He never seemed to have any problems with his friends even with Bon constantly openly scolding him.

As for Shima being in Rin's class - I think it wasn't on purpose. Illuminati is an organization with long history of being against the Order, for some reasons, probably much longer than 16 years. I'm not even sure they knew about Rin before his big reveal. Toudou seems to have joined only recently. Shima could have been recruited years earlier and it was pure coincidence that Bon wanted to join the Order and was accompanied by his friends.