Author Topic: Blue Exorcist In-Deep Analysis (chp.1-93)  (Read 7264 times)

Offline Cloelia

• Intermediate Second Class
Blue Exorcist In-Deep Analysis (chp.1-93)
« on: April 09, 2017, 08:44:12 PM »
This is a personal BE analysis i realized as a reference for who's trying to figure out most BE's mysteries. Feel free to share your thoughts, suggest me something I missed, try to put the pieces together. I will edit this post anytime the manga is updated, so to add new bits of infos.

Reference site: kissmanga.com (I used their translations)

Ok, on with the list (spoilers and funny notes alert :) Happy reading!):

EXORCIST CRAM SCHOOL ARC (Chapters 1 - 15)

(click to show/hide)

KYOTO IMPURE KING ARC (Chapters 16 - 34)

(click to show/hide)

KRAKEN ARC (Chapters 35 - 37)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 03:23:06 PM by Cloelia »

Offline Cloelia

Re: Blue Exorcist In-Deep Analysis (chp.38-64)
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 08:45:58 PM »
TRUE CROSS ACADEMY FESTIVAL (Chapters 38 - 49)

(click to show/hide)

ILLUMINATI ARC (Chapters 50 - 64)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 03:23:41 PM by Cloelia »

Offline Cloelia

Re: Blue Exorcist In-Deep Analysis (chp.65-80)
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 08:47:08 PM »
EXORCIST EXAM ARC (Chapter 65 - 73)

(click to show/hide)

AOMORI ARC (Chapters 74 - 80)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 03:24:52 PM by Cloelia »

Offline Cloelia

Re: Blue Exorcist In-Deep Analysis (chp.81-91)
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 08:48:02 PM »
BLUE NIGHT INVESTIGATION ARC (Chapter 81 - 91)

(click to show/hide)

BEYOND THE SNOW ARC (Chapter 92 - ?)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 03:38:32 PM by Cloelia »

Offline NeeNee

• Administrator
  • Senior First Class
Re: Blue Exorcist In-Deep Analysis (chp.1-88)
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 10:49:13 PM »
- Now there's a piece of panel I find kinda intriguing and enigmatic. Yukio is reminiscing the moment Fujimoto proposed him to become an exorcist, back when he was a kid. Fujimoto uses this weird sentence: "In 10 years time, your brother will witness something far more frightening." (meaning something far more frightening than Yukio seeing demons). Now, since Yukio stated he began his exorcist training at the age of 7 and, as of chapter 88, Rin and Yukio are about to turn 16, then Fujimoto was referring to something which should be about to happen in a yr or so starting from chapter 88's happenings (and, guess what, if you take a look at chapter 49's notes... could that be related to what Fujimoto was referring to?... coincidence?). So... ok, but, how can Fujimoto know what's going to happen in the future? In short: WTF?!? (pag. 51 and pag. 52)
I don't remember where it was said, but apparently Shiro thought Rin's power would awaken around his 17th birthday. Instead it happened a year early, which is probably why they suddenly had to rush.

- After having a conversation over the phone with Yukio, Mephisto states that "It won't be long before SATAN makes HIS move." (talking to himself) Ok, is this happened so far? I can't think of anything right now. (pag. 54)
I'm assuming Satan decided to hold off after Mephisto offered him a deal ('I'll raise the boy to reach his full potential, you just wait a bit')

Chapter 3:
- One note, in this chapter it is stated that all of the exorcists (referring to the ones who "worked" in Suguro's  temple in Kyoto) died in the Blue Night while they were there, in the temple. (pag. 22) It is also shown in a panel that Tatsuma's father died there. (chp. 25 - pag. 1) However, later on it's stated that all of the exorcists who died during the Blue Night should've been located only in Section 13 (or Asylum). (chp. 84 - pag. 31) So this parts sounds a bit off to me.
It states that all the powerful exorcists of the temple died, not all of them. A few pages earlier they also mention that the Blue Night killed a huge number of exorcists all over the world, so clearly it wasn't limited to one place. My guess is that the Asylum is where the first possession happened, and then after that Satan went on a little rampage trying to find another suitable body.

- at the end of the chapter, Neuhaus states that he's a demon's dog. He seems to imply he became one as if that was the last option left to him after failing to achieve something. About the demon, was he talking about Mephisto or someone else? (pag. 45)
Never seen that translation, but it's assumed he was working for Mephisto at the time.

- Rin asks Neuhaus not to involve innocent people in his revenge. Strangely enough, Neuhaus is taken aback by this request and quietly accept it, even though I find it weird he'd do this, since in the past his own -innocent- family was killed and, usually, someone in his situation would just retort something like: "My wife was innocent too! Yet Satan, a demon, killed her! Then why do I have to agree to what you're asking me and spare innocent people?" (pag. 38)
Neuhaus doesn't want to become like Satan, he considers himself a Good Guy fighting the Bad demons. When the Bad Guys you're fighting are suddenly more concerned with human life than you are, it tends to make you question what you're fighting for.

- After this, Neuhaus says: "There's an other guy... Who's like me... You should prepare yourselves!" Ok, who is this guy? He's appeared yet? (pag. 38)
Probably a mistranslation. The official version says "There will be others like me", which basically just means that there are more people out there who might have a problem with his ancestry. (Like for example half of the teachers.)

- How come Rin could use the same words (more or less)/act the same way Shiro did in the past to calm Kuro down?  (pag. 35 and pag. 37)
Similar personality?

Chapter 9:
- Amaimon gets Rin angry at himself for taking away his sword. Rin tries to attack him and unintentionally decapitates a Mephisto's statue. Amaimon points out that that was "his brother's" neck he just broke. Has somehow Rin suddenly turned deaf when Amaimon makes it clear that Mephisto is his brother? Why Rin fails to catch that line of info? I don't think Rin can be considered THAT retarted (wait, I may be wrong (chp. 11 - pag. 11)) (pag. 19)
Rin has a tendency to miss stuff like that in the heat of the moment. That or he assumed Amaimon was speaking methaphorically or something.

Chapter 10:
- In Shura's flashback, Fujimoto asks Shura to teach Rin how to use a sword. He doesn't use any "In case..." or "If one day...", he just plain requests for Shura to teach Rin swordmanship, leading to think he knew 100% for sure the seal on Koma sword was going to break/Rin was going to awake at his powers. (pag. 15)
Shiro was always expecting Rin's powers to awake one day, so yeah.

- And btw is it ever explained why or how Rin can somehow still use some of his flames even when the Koma sword is not unsheathed? (pag. 21)
He could do that from chapter 1. Something about his power growing too strong for the seal.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Ao-no-Exorcist/Chapter-001?id=283242#30

- random note about this side chapter. Rin tells Yukio that if he doesn't help people (as an exorcist), he'll become a demon himself (meaning that not helping people is something devilish, not that Yukio would actually become a demon). Foreshadow? (pag. 30)
Nah. Just an in-your-face explanation of how Rin defines his humanity right now.

Chapter 24:
- now for the enigmatic part I didn't quite understand. Yukio reads the whole Tatsuma's letter to Rin and Shura. Do the three of em (or at least only Yukio and Rin) fail to understand the part where Tatsuma is talking about Fujimoto and the latter states he was after the Koma Sword so to use it to kill some kids? Wouldn't this part strike some curiosity into the brothers? Couldn't the kids that Fujimoto was going to kill with the swords be, well, THEM? I don't get why at least Yukio wouldn't rise a question mark to this. (pag. 37)
Didn't Yukio repeatedly ask "For what purpose were we raised"? That means he must since long have considered the possibility of them NOT getting raised, right? I don't think this was anything outside his expectations.

- Fujimoto "steals" the Koma sword months before the Blue Night. It's not stated how many months though. (pag. 35 and pag. 39)
- Anyway, how is Tatsuma aware that Rin is indeed the kid that Fujimoto wanted to kill? The first time he heard Rin state his name, he instantly guessed  it was THAT kid. (chp. 18 - pag. 18)
He guessed it was Fujimoto's kid, probably because the latter wrote him or something. We have no proof he knew Rin was the kid that was supposed to get killed.

Chapter 27:
- during the fight against the Impure King, Yukio hears the noises around him as they're coming from far away, as they're not even real. Is this related to what is about to happen to him? Like a "sympthom"? (pag. 38 and pag. 39)
No. It's a symptom of mental shock. Yukio has been in shock since he heard Rin was about to be executed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acute_stress_reaction

Chapter 28:
- I don't fully consider Todo's implication at Fujimoto raising Yukio as a tool to specifically protect Rin just a ploy he uses to provoke Yukio. It rather sounds like Todo trying to kinda "open" Yukio's eyes (he may know more than it seems). It may be my impression though. (pag. 27)
To someone like Toudou, it does not matter if something is true or not, as long as he can use it.

Chapter 30:
- Yukio "calls for Rin" in his mind. Rin seems to "hear" him. (pag. 2) Telepathy? Or did Rin merely "sense" him as he usually does for any regular demon? (for example: chp. 36 - pag. 14, chp. 49 - pag. 2, chp. 49 - pag. 23 and chp. 54 - pag. 31)
Both? Rin can talk telepathically with demons, and Yukio was kind of a demon at that point, so...

Chapter 35:
- random note, as Tatsuma tells Rin he can count on him in case he needs help with the Koma Sword in the future, he adds that he considers Rin just as a great man as Fujimoto. Yukio is watching the scene from a distance wearing a weird look over his face. (pag. 6)
Third hint of Yukio being a jealous piece of shit.

Well, that's quite enough for today. How long did you take writing all that?

Offline justicecadet

• Junior Second Class
  • Not gonna be very active anymore <3
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 12:46:47 AM »
It's more like a summary than analysis. But this could be a handy reference tool. Especially when you have a theory or disagreement and need to pull up the exact page.
Thanks!
Saying Toudou's name summons me

Offline tandem

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2017, 07:01:32 AM »
- Fujimoto states that Rin's powers have been transferred to Kurikara (or Koma sword), but he does not specify how/who did it. (pag. 35)
- Satan possesses Fujimoto and tries to break the Koma sword so he can release Rin from his "curse", thus permitting to Rin to "regain his true power as a demon". I guess this means that the Koma sword is somehow "occulting" Rin's true demonic power, allowing him to use only a part of it. (pag. 45)

Chapter 35:
- random note, as Tatsuma tells Rin he can count on him in case he needs help with the Koma Sword in the future.
I guess the above can be classified as "mystery of Kurikara". Until now the only knowledge we have is what Mephisto said at the end of IK arc here

- Apparentely, Satan has been trying to possess Fujimoto's body over the years but Fujimoto could always keep him in check (correct me if I got this wrong). (pag. 37)
That is a point I feel very strange. How did Shiro know Satan keeps trying to possess him? Did Shiro hear Satan whispering at his ears? Or is there a specific feeling when a demon is trying to posses your body?

- After having a conversation over the phone with Yukio, Mephisto states that "It won't be long before SATAN makes HIS move." (talking to himself) Ok, is this happened so far? I can't think of anything right now. (pag. 54)
I'm assuming Satan decided to hold off after Mephisto offered him a deal ('I'll raise the boy to reach his full potential, you just wait a bit')
And it hasn't been a year, still a short period of time for a demon

But Shiro also always made the children believe he "found em". I always considered it weird that Yukio (curious as he his about his and his bro's origins) would never question himself about how Shiro would know who was the older brother or the younger one.
So that's why even little Yukio know Shiro was lying.

- at the end of the chapter, Neuhaus states that he's a demon's dog. He seems to imply he became one as if that was the last option left to him after failing to achieve something. About the demon, was he talking about Mephisto or someone else? (pag. 45)
Never seen that translation, but it's assumed he was working for Mephisto at the time.
It is also in mangafox translation and in the anime. I think it's Mephisto.

- Rin asks Neuhaus not to involve innocent people in his revenge. Strangely enough, Neuhaus is taken aback by this request and quietly accept it, even though I find it weird he'd do this, since in the past his own -innocent- family was killed and, usually, someone in his situation would just retort something like: "My wife was innocent too! Yet Satan, a demon, killed her! Then why do I have to agree to what you're asking me and spare innocent people?" (pag. 38)
Neuhaus doesn't want to become like Satan, he considers himself a Good Guy fighting the Bad demons. When the Bad Guys you're fighting are suddenly more concerned with human life than you are, it tends to make you question what you're fighting for.
It was quite normal until we know he was taking Mephisto's order. Then a question raised: how far would he plan to do if Rin didn't say that and continue to fight? Until Rin released much more power? What if Rin killed him? Or maybe if Rin got mad Mephisto would show up and stop the fight

- Mephisto states that Neuhaus acted as he ordered to, but that wasn't "satisfactory". In which way it wasn't, or who considers his actions "unsatisfactory", it's not explained. (pag. 44)
I think that's obvious. Mephisto wants to see Rin display fullpower, so he was not satisfied. After the IK arc he finally satisfied, then he invited Rin to dinner.

Chapter 9:
- Amaimon gets Rin angry at himself for taking away his sword. Rin tries to attack him and unintentionally decapitates a Mephisto's statue. Amaimon points out that that was "his brother's" neck he just broke. Has somehow Rin suddenly turned deaf when Amaimon makes it clear that Mephisto is his brother? Why Rin fails to catch that line of info? I don't think Rin can be considered THAT retarted (wait, I may be wrong (chp. 11 - pag. 11)) (pag. 19)
Rin has a tendency to miss stuff like that in the heat of the moment. That or he assumed Amaimon was speaking methaphorically or something.
Well, Amaimon is an enemy, and a demon. You should not listen to demon whispering like poor Yukio

- Angel appears and as he looks at Rin's blue flames he states that they look like they were during the Blue Night (pag. 7) even if he's supposed to have lost his memories about that time.
Kato didn't know Angel lost his memory. I assume that's the earliest memory Angel remembers now. The blue flame might still burning when Arthur awake from the incident.

- random note about this side chapter. Rin tells Yukio that if he doesn't help people (as an exorcist), he'll become a demon himself (meaning that not helping people is something devilish, not that Yukio would actually become a demon). Foreshadow? (pag. 30)
Nah. Just an in-your-face explanation of how Rin defines his humanity right now.
I regard it as the same as here.
However, I don't think Rin is correct in the Phantom train chapter. I like how they deal with this topic in the movie
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 02:21:31 AM by tandem »

Offline NeeNee

• Administrator
  • Senior First Class
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 11:47:41 AM »
- random note, again. This Godaiin guy from regular high school courses who pops out every now and then starting from this chapter... can we expect some twists out of him in the future?  (pag. 9)
Many people thought so at first, but right now it looks like he's gonna be as important as Paku (occassionaly recurring named character, so to speak).

- the "Seven Mysteries" rumor began to spread right after summer holidays were over. Coincidence or Mephisto's doing? (pag. 11)
I think you can safely assume that everything that happens in the school is Mephisto's doing (or at least happening with his knowledge).

- the objective of the Illuminati's research on the Elixir is to prepare a body for Satan. (pag. 21)
I wonder if this was the original objective, or if Lucifer just doesn't want daddy to steal his stuff again.

Chapter 65:
- and btw, it's never explained why Shima is capable to summon Yamantaka and/or use the black flames, it seems though the Illuminati picked him as a spy cause of this ability of his. Does he possess some special trait or something? (pag. 12)
Didn't they show in a flashback that Yamantaka took a liking to him? Or am I misremembering that part?

- Shima offers Yukio an advice and tells him to speak about "it" (guess he means the "eyes" question oc) to someone. Is Shima offering this advice on his own or has he been ordered to by Lucifer? (pag. 26)
Pretty sure it was an order, since they don't actually want Yukio to tell anyone and I don't think Shima would take the risk to screw things up on his own accord.

- I have a feeling the guy under the bridge is Todo. (pag. 35)
Unlikely. We can see his ears and they look human (unless Toudou has found a way to revert back to his human state?).

Offline earthforge

• Meat Popsicle
  • Intermediate First Class
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 04:30:46 PM »
Holy- you weren't kidding when you said you had a lot to say!

Good summary! Although, I think some of the earlier manga information (pre-chapter 5) might not necessarily be canon anymore. Many mangaka change the story partway through so the subtle details become no longer relevant (e.g. Pandora Hearts had Sharon start off as more of an enigma, but she turned into a reader stand-in).

I swear, Godaiin exists to be kidnapped. Son of a governor, check. Friend of Rin, check. Totally ordinary dude (tm), check.

Didn't they show in a flashback that Yamantaka took a liking to him? Or am I misremembering that part?

Nope. We don't know how Renzou got Yamantaka. I wrote a fic like that, though.

- I have a feeling the guy under the bridge is Todo. (pag. 35)
Unlikely. We can see his ears and they look human (unless Toudou has found a way to revert back to his human state?).

Toudou has, judging by his appearances in chapters 41 and 80.

Regardless, I am pretty certain that the person under the bridge is not Toudou. Totally different speaking pattern. Toudou tends to bring up not directly relevant information (like his fondness for Yukio), while the person under the bridge was mission-focused. I also think that person is shrouded because they are either surprisingly someone we know, or in the upper echelons of the Illuminati.

Skimming over the summary, I'd just like to add that Lightning is Lightning, and does a lot of things for the hell of it. Leaving his bag in the library was intentional so he could have a one-on-one with Renzou.
"There are no answers. Only choices."

Offline Cloelia

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2017, 08:12:14 PM »
Ty all for taking your time to read the long ass posts (hehe :P) It took me 9 days to put everything together. I read the whole manga twice to be sure I didn't miss anything. (again, I'm italian so I'm sorry for all the grammar mistakes)

I agree that the earlier chapters infos we were given may prolly not be considered "100%" canon anymore, but I do believe that for the sake of some consistency Kato-sama is prolly not completelty discarding em. So maybe we can still be right by keeping em in consideration. To be honest, though, I hope you're right :P I think, as of now, BE plot contains kinda "too many pieces" to put together, so if some infos could be discarded that could save a lot of brain work.

I read all your comments so far, and I thank you for helping me better analyze the various points. Some of you really had me laugh too :P

My top so far:

Chapter 35:
- random note, as Tatsuma tells Rin he can count on him in case he needs help with the Koma Sword in the future, he adds that he considers Rin just as a great man as Fujimoto. Yukio is watching the scene from a distance wearing a weird look over his face. (pag. 6)
Third hint of Yukio being a jealous piece of shit.
[/quote]

hahaha, you're right! :D
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 08:15:41 PM by Cloelia »

Offline tandem

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2017, 06:11:40 AM »
I think some of the earlier manga information (pre-chapter 5) might not necessarily be canon anymore. Many mangaka change the story partway through so the subtle details become no longer relevant
Speaking of this, one of the most unexplained plot to me in the early chapters is the exact plan behind the camping chapter. We know Mephisto was planning the fight for a while because Kato let us see it, but what was Shura and Order planning? After Yukio back, he directly complained it to Shura , and in the next chapter Yukio brought this topic agin with Shura actually admitted that she set up this.

But how? It isn't like Shura would go to Mephisto and say "They have a mission in the forest. It's a good chance so please send Amaimon there." Or Mephisto had this plan and convinced Shura to join? And how was Order involved? I don't believe Arthur was there by accident. Did Mephisto told the Order "I have some surprised to show you tonight so come to Japan", or the so-called "another spy" informed the Order? Who was this "another spy" anyway?

However, I think this is not very important in the story and they skip many lines in the anime, so it's possible Kato won't mention it again.

Offline MetallicArcher

• Senior Second Class
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2017, 01:23:45 PM »
May I suggest, putting the text into spoiler boxes to avoid the text wall.

Maybe divide it by volume so it's easier to navigate?

Also, bless your soul for doing this, without a well edited wikia knowing where to look up what was starting to become a nightmare.

Offline Cloelia

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2017, 02:53:27 PM »
May I suggest, putting the text into spoiler boxes to avoid the text wall.

Maybe divide it by volume so it's easier to navigate?

Also, bless your soul for doing this, without a well edited wikia knowing where to look up what was starting to become a nightmare.

Ty :) I tried to follow your advice and I organized the contents in boxes. Instead of the volume criteria, I used the "arcs" criteria. I hope this'll make navigation a lil easier. Sure all that text was bugging my eyes too XD

Offline NeeNee

• Administrator
  • Senior First Class
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2017, 03:25:06 PM »
Ah yes, that's a lot easier to scroll through.

Though I think "Exorcist exam arc" is a bit misleading of a name, since we still haven't seen any exam yet.

Offline Cloelia

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2017, 03:31:31 PM »
Ah yes, that's a lot easier to scroll through.

Though I think "Exorcist exam arc" is a bit misleading of a name, since we still haven't seen any exam yet.

Tbh, it sounded weird to me too. I took those arcs names from a BE wikia. I accept any alternative title suggestion :)