Author Topic: Chapter 89 discussion (raws)  (Read 19388 times)

Offline earthforge

• Meat Popsicle
  • Intermediate First Class
Re: Chapter 89 discussion (raws)
« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2017, 05:16:12 PM »
It's funny how younger Shiro is an asshole to everyone, even Yuri.
I feel like there are some reasons behind that. And Shiro's relationship with Yuri was quite unclear. It looks like Shura doesn't really know their story

Looks to me like Shiro did like Yuri, but he refused to pursue a relationship for whatever reason. Maybe because it was a distraction, or maybe because he felt he couldn't offer Yuri anything. Young Shiro doesn't seem like a happy person. Given his origin as a presumably failed Asylum clone, maybe he had trouble finding a purpose in life and threw himself into his work as an exorcist. Would give additional meaning to older Shiro's speech to Shura to just keep living.

Then he asks you: "But you don't really care, right?" (and looks at you as if he's testing you to see how you react) And you plain answer him: "That's right." Now, even if you really feel like that, do you think THAT's a good moment to give your brother that cold response?
Rereading this chapter, I guess Rin is not really calm about it. He is saying pretty words to avoid this topic. Maybe he even pretend to go to the toilet in order to end the conversation ASAP.

So it is different from their previous conversation when Rin tried to encourage Yukio open up. This time Rin also has complex emotions that he is unable to notice/handle Yukio's emotions.

Agreed. Rin has something going on, Yukio's picked up on it and is forcing a confrontation. Yukio might accidentally reveal things about himself in doing so 'cause he's mad. But, at least he cares.
"There are no answers. Only choices."

Offline MetallicArcher

• Senior Second Class
« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2017, 09:11:25 PM »
Looks to me like Shiro did like Yuri, but he refused to pursue a relationship for whatever reason. Maybe because it was a distraction, or maybe because he felt he couldn't offer Yuri anything. Young Shiro doesn't seem like a happy person. Given his origin as a presumably failed Asylum clone, maybe he had trouble finding a purpose in life and threw himself into his work as an exorcist. Would give additional meaning to older Shiro's speech to Shura to just keep living.

Or maybe it's something simpler like Shiro actually being a Catholic priest and wanting to stick to the celibacy rule.

Offline Madow

• Nephilim
  • Junior Second Class
« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2017, 09:27:44 PM »
Or maybe it's something simpler like Shiro actually being a Catholic priest and wanting to stick to the celibacy rule.
Shiro only became a Priest so he could get a break and live a normal life with Rin. Besides, I doubt that would matter anyhow, he loved the ladies

Offline chinonamida

« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2017, 10:33:10 PM »
Shiro only became a Priest so he could get a break and live a normal life with Rin.
He already had his clerical colar when he fought Hachirou and when he got Kurikara.

Besides, I doubt that would matter anyhow, he loved the ladies
Can't disagree on that.

Offline Cloelia

• Intermediate Second Class
« Reply #79 on: April 21, 2017, 12:51:56 PM »
Just a thought, is it normal that as of today most manga sites are still not uploading this chapter? I mean, shouldn't it be online around the 6th-9th day of the month?

Offline NeeNee

• Administrator
  • Senior First Class
« Reply #80 on: April 21, 2017, 04:31:43 PM »
I think most translation groups don't care too much, since they know the Viz translation is already out there.

And I think not too many people are willing to upload the Viz translation to such sites because that's not a grey area (like scanlations), it's downright stealing.

Offline Kittykat

• Junior First Class
« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2017, 06:00:35 PM »
I also think because it's a filler chapter. Nothing happening that was really exciting. When ch 86 came out, it was scanlated and posted a few days after.

Offline Cloelia

« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2017, 06:15:18 PM »
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Ao-no-Exorcist/Chapter-089?id=364170

Oh gosh, right after I said something about it, I found this :) Phew, I feel relieved...

Offline NoireShot

• Page
« Reply #83 on: April 21, 2017, 09:36:20 PM »
Sheesh, I was worrying...I'm glad for these sites...since viz doesn't apply/friggin exist in my country and we have no equivalent it seems :"D

Offline Spice Fairy

• Page
« Reply #84 on: April 21, 2017, 11:02:24 PM »
Finally! I felt like there wasn't a new chapter in a thousand years.

I side with Yukio on this. I mean, Rin has been like this, he's always willing to get involved in other people's problems (recent example with Shiemi), but when it's his turn to deal with his own he just kind of pushes it aside/ignores it. Like when they discovered he's Satan's son, he joked about it and the weight of the situation slowly grew on him until he finally accepted who he was right around the end of the Kyoto arc. Yukio, on the other hand, confronts his issues (by himself) because he knows he can't ignore them for too long and pushing them aside won't make them go away.

All in all, I'm just happy Rin's getting some development here. I love everyones' character, especially Yukio's, but he's the protagonist and he's been feeling pretty dry since Izumo's arc imo.

And I'm so happy for Uncle Shima!

Offline Gem-Bug

• Bug Conjurer
  • Exwire
« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2017, 11:42:58 PM »
It looks like Yuri's making mud dolls for Greenmen to possess. <3

Offline SimpleBliss

• Junior First Class
  • When in doubt, talk it out
« Reply #86 on: April 23, 2017, 01:41:15 AM »
^ Cute XD
Well, it's been a while since I posted! But I've definitely been reading.
Honestly in this recent chapter, Yukio feels like the normal one for once. It makes perfect sense why you would want to know information about your past, and Yukio's "GEEZ OF COURSE I WANT TO KNOW" was the most normal natural reaction we've got from him yet. Of course by contrast Rin's refusal is really sketchy/concerning. I didn't see this coming, but I'm glad we're addressing Rin before what seems to be the climax of the story (I can feel it building....it's coming). Also, I feel like Yukio's talking to himself more than he's talking to Rin. He says, "Who's the coward now?" as if it was a fact that Yukio was a coward, but Yukio is the only one who thinks that. It's not like Rin ever thought that or said that to him, right? Yukio isn't saying any of this because he's concerned for Rin, you know?
I recently read from Yukio's jumping off a building (good times) to now, and there's a lot of stuff going behind the scenes that the reader is still not aware of. It feels like there's an entire plot happening that we're not seeing. We haven't seen what Shura thought of what Yukio did during her arc, nor what information Yukio was gathering or what he went to the head office (or was it Vatican? Don't remember) to do, nor what Shura saw before going to the party, and there's probably more. What's going on?????
On a side note, I KNEW BON WAS GOING TO GET INVOLVED WITH THE TWINS' HISTORY, I CALLED IT!
I like this new layer of suspicion. 
On another side note, I've recently been uncomfortably relating to Yukio, namely when it comes to his uniquely twin issues (since I also have a twin), as similar stuff has been happening to me now (especially relationship wise, and generally comparing wise). I sometimes feel like Yukio feels, albeit I understand his issues differently that others might (I can't say I can empathetically understand his or Rin's depression, for example, or anxiety, but I can understand this). It's funny because I feel like the only person who really gets how shitty I feel right now, and what kind of shitty, is Yukio. That makes me feel better for some reason.
Well anyways I love where this is going, but I can't see their argument erupting into something big right now. I wonder where it's going?

Edit: This is the only series I could find that portrays twin relationships really accurately (hit me up if there are any more). Though we might have our own challenges, at the end of the day being a twin is awesome
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 01:50:58 AM by SimpleBliss »

Offline earthforge

• Meat Popsicle
« Reply #87 on: April 23, 2017, 04:13:00 AM »
It looks like Yuri's making mud dolls for Greenmen to possess. <3

Whoa. I think you're right!

Yukio, on the other hand, confronts his issues (by himself) because he knows he can't ignore them for too long and pushing them aside won't make them go away.

To be fair, Yukio constantly ran from his problems until Lucy approached him and he realized that he didn't have any more time to hesitate. Then he only took action after Renzou poked him about that. Yukio's still avoiding the decision to accept or deny the Illuminati's offer. He keeps responding with "I don't need it" instead of "go to hell", which has basically signaled that it's negotiable.

Well, it's been a while since I posted! But I've definitely been reading.

Bliss! I missed you!

We haven't seen what Shura thought of what Yukio did during her arc, nor what information Yukio was gathering or what he went to the head office (or was it Vatican? Don't remember) to do, nor what Shura saw before going to the party, and there's probably more. What's going on?????

I agree that Shura knows something based on that panel before the party. I think Shura's less worried about how Yukio acted towards her in Aomori, and more about how Yukio acted towards Rin. She thinks it's fine now because Rin trusts Yukio, but that can change.

On a side note, I KNEW BON WAS GOING TO GET INVOLVED WITH THE TWINS' HISTORY, I CALLED IT!

Bon's guilt in this arc has been great. It's really cool how the Kyoto trio has split between sides. Renzou is affiliated with the Illuminati as a spy and Bon is tied to the inner circle of the Order as Lightning's apprentice. I hope we'll see Koneko get something interesting to do!

On another side note, I've recently been uncomfortably relating to Yukio, namely when it comes to his uniquely twin issues (since I also have a twin), as similar stuff has been happening to me now (especially relationship wise, and generally comparing wise). I sometimes feel like Yukio feels, albeit I understand his issues differently that others might (I can't say I can empathetically understand his or Rin's depression, for example, or anxiety, but I can understand this). It's funny because I feel like the only person who really gets how shitty I feel right now, and what kind of shitty, is Yukio. That makes me feel better for some reason.
Well anyways I love where this is going, but I can't see their argument erupting into something big right now. I wonder where it's going?

Edit: This is the only series I could find that portrays twin relationships really accurately (hit me up if there are any more). Though we might have our own challenges, at the end of the day being a twin is awesome

Yarp, I have no twin but I have a sib. When I got into this manga, my relationship with him was in the toilet, and chapter 28 hit really close to home. Now, six years later, we're close and that part of the manga doesn't affect me at all anymore. Things can get better. (I look forward to when I can say the same for "the person I really hate is myself" line. Erp.)

Good sibling portrayals are pretty rare. Honestly, Fullmetal Alchemist is the probably the best, followed by AoEx.
"There are no answers. Only choices."

Offline tandem

« Reply #88 on: April 23, 2017, 06:35:08 AM »

Or maybe he thought he was still young (around 33) and didn't want to update his Relationship status on Facebook...

I also think because it's a filler chapter. Nothing happening that was really exciting. When ch 86 came out, it was scanlated and posted a few days after.
To be honest, besides Yuri's story Shura told, the birthday party in this chapter is too short and less interesting than the anime counterpart. At least let us see Paku's boyfriend

when it's his turn to deal with his own he just kind of pushes it aside/ignores it. Like when they discovered he's Satan's son, he joked about it and the weight of the situation slowly grew on him until he finally accepted who he was right around the end of the Kyoto arc.
I think it is normal to regard Rin's classmates unable to involve anything related to Satan, and Yukio hasn't provided much help. Rin needs an adult he can trust, but neither Mephisto, Lightning, Arthur, Grigori, Lucifer or any other teachers/exorcists can be the one Rin can talk about his issues. Probably he can only talk to Shura (might happen in the future)

He says, "Who's the coward now?" as if it was a fact that Yukio was a coward, but Yukio is the only one who thinks that. It's not like Rin ever thought that or said that to him, right?
Unfortunately he did. And she did too

there's a lot of stuff going behind the scenes that the reader is still not aware of. It feels like there's an entire plot happening that we're not seeing.
Don't forget Amaimon. We still don't have any explanation why he is back as a student

I hope we'll see Koneko get something interesting to do!
Rereading this chapter, I think he falls on the cake because of the entire reindeer suit ...
Really, why he wants to wear like this? Although Kato probably borrowed this idea from the movie, but I suspect it is a foreshadowing about something in his mind. He and Shiemi are the only people who put too much effort to dress up in the party (not counting Shura because she is giving a present)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 06:41:11 AM by tandem »

Offline chinonamida

« Reply #89 on: April 23, 2017, 11:18:41 PM »
He says, "Who's the coward now?" as if it was a fact that Yukio was a coward, but Yukio is the only one who thinks that. It's not like Rin ever thought that or said that to him, right?
Unfortunately he did. And she did too
Tandem, you beat me to it.

Rin and Shura always call Yukio "bibiri megane". ((Often translated "scaredy-cat", "scaredy four-eye" or "scaredy-cat four-eye". "bibiri" means "scared" and in Japanese "bibiri neko" which literally means "scaredy-cat" is commonly used. "megane" means glasses but is also an insult like "four-eye".))
Yukio used that same word "bibiri" at Rin on the last page of last chapter.