Rin/Paku
Rin/a new girl
Yukio/Shiemi
Yukio/Shura
Izumo/Renzou
Izumo/Bon
Arthur/Shura
Arthur/Caliburn

Author Topic: Shipping Thread!  (Read 133008 times)

Offline chinonamida

• Intermediate First Class
Re: Shipping Thread!
« Reply #510 on: June 15, 2017, 06:04:30 PM »
^Well, maybe I'm wrong or maybe I'm right but some major development will happen. But if they do end up together, I hope she will never hit him. We can all agree he doesn't like it and he's got enough from his family.

And I wonder, do you guys think he'd never hit back? If he does, it's bad because she's weaker, but if she doesn't, it's bad because he can't defend himself.
At least with his brothers he can hit back. Even though he usually doesn't. Since he doesn't have a violent nature.

Men aren't made of steel you know. X)

#ViolenceIsViolence

Offline earthforge

• Meat Popsicle
« Reply #511 on: June 15, 2017, 06:32:58 PM »
One of the reasons I liked her most recent talk with Renzou is that, even though she was annoyed, she never hit or insulted him. I hope that development is permanent. (Except for times when they have to fight because he has to do some work on behalf of the Illuminati.)

Agreed that the female-on-male violence double standard is the worst.

What I mean is, I can agree friendships are sometimes more well written than romantic relationships, but I don't know if I'd say they're more romantic. Then again, maybe you're referring to these cases where characters have ambiguous relationships, like Nausicaa and Asbel from Valley of the Wind, where some fans think they're in love while some others think their friends or just friends. But this is done on purpose by the authors, so that all the fans can believe what they want. And this is not only done with characters of opposite genders, for example, CLAMP admittedly likes doing that a lot.

I mean, it's not necessarily more romantic. It's just that people read romance into more interesting interactions. You can only see the same Meet Cute high-school set-up of a girl with a piece of toast in her mouth enough times before you get sick of it (except for the Fullmetal Alchemist short with Izumi meeting her husband XD).

People don't change so easily. To me, she still often seems to act harshly only because that's the only way she knows how to react more than that's what she thinks is the appropriate response. But of course it's hard to know, because she's also bad at apologizing.

Maybe you're right. But I think she still has some ways to go and things she wants to improve about herself; which isn't a risky bet given her age and experience.

True. Izumo is much more relaxed compared to Mamushi, so she could get much gentler. I see the framework for that, given her nice conversation with Bon in the chapter where he meets Lightning.

But Izumo doesn't seem to share my opinion. As much as I think Renzou's feelings for Izumo look sincere, I think Izumo's aversion for Renzou's flirtiness and silliness look equally sincere. Renzou doesn't see that, because as he once stated, he likes Izumo being an icequeen. But she's not. She's a tsundere. Tsundere mellows down when they're with someone they love, they don't continue to relentlessly abuse them like icequeens do. So, it's not that I'm against this ship, but I just don't see it working, because Izumo never looked attracted to him, she even looks repulsed. I feel sorry for Renzou in all honesty.
I actually disagree. In their only one-on-one interaction since the Inari arc (here), Izumo doesn't outright call him a creep like she did before. She generally sees through his joking around. The best moment is when Renzou tries to play his "that's how you differ from me" over Izumo being open about how she cares for her friends, and Izumo just throws back how they are the same and Renzou really cares about them too. While Izumo doesn't like his annoying and deceptive behavior, she sees it as a front. She fundamentally knows he cares for them and she cares about him too, which is why she asked him to be careful in the tough times ahead. That's a great foundation for her developing feelings for him, especially if Renzou ends up leaning more towards his friends as the situation with the Illuminati gets precarious. The closer the Illuminati get to their goal, the less they will need Renzou. Eventually they'll turn on him, and I really want to see Izumo and Renzou fighting side-by-side.
So you agree she doesn't have feelings for him right now? X)

"There are no answers. Only choices."

Offline NeeNee

• Administrator
  • Senior First Class
« Reply #512 on: June 15, 2017, 07:51:36 PM »

Is there really a rule that says you can't hit girls though? Because as I see it, it depends more on which kind of hit is being used.

1) When someone slaps you in the face with the palm of their hand, they're making a statement. They are letting you know that you have severely offened/angered them. This is more often used by females (on male and female), but it can also be done by males, like Shiro hitting Rin in the face in the first chapter. It is meant to hurt but not to injure; it is not an invitation to start a fight. Do not hit back.

2) When someone punches you in the face with their fist, they're picking a fight. Go ahead and hit back if you want. The only exception here is if a woman (or a man, for that matter) is punching you in defence because you cornered/grabbed her or something. But if a girl socks you in the jaw out of the blue, I certainly wouldn't blame you for returning the favor.

Offline jackolope

• Page
« Reply #513 on: June 15, 2017, 09:28:53 PM »
I wouldn't really ever want Renzou and Izumo to become a couple. I know he was joking around, but all the times hes tried to flirt with her has come off as super creepy to me. As well as his one creepy comment when she tried to escape from the Illuminati facility and he saw up her hospital gown. Plus, its just the trope is you harass a girl enough- even though shes obviously not interested- she'll come along eventually!

Offline NeeNee

• Administrator
  • Senior First Class
« Reply #514 on: June 15, 2017, 11:17:37 PM »
^ I agree. I never liked the ship to begin with, but now it got downright creepy. If she does fall for him like this, I'm gonna question her mental health.

Offline chinonamida

« Reply #515 on: June 16, 2017, 03:55:08 AM »
One of the reasons I liked her most recent talk with Renzou is that, even though she was annoyed, she never hit or insulted him. I hope that development is permanent.
I actually like that scene too. Though I see it as two people who don't get along but manage to stay polite and considerate of each other, because they have to work together.

(Except for times when they have to fight because he has to do some work on behalf of the Illuminati.)
Of course, I agree. That's a whole different matter.

I mean, it's not necessarily more romantic. It's just that people read romance into more interesting interactions.
Well, I'll give you that good friendship is better than bad romance.

And that just reminded me of the cliché where a straight man tells his straight male friend "If you were a woman, I'd marry you."

You can only see the same Meet Cute high-school set-up of a girl with a piece of toast in her mouth enough times before you get sick of it
There's stereotypes for friendships too. Like poorly made rivalry is so common. Especially the ones of the "blue power ranger" type, if you know what I mean.

(except for the Fullmetal Alchemist short with Izumi meeting her husband XD).
Woah! I never saw that. Or at least I don't remember. Was it in the manga? I never saw the anime. And damn the young version of her husband looks so much like Bradley!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiPgVzDBRjE

(click to show/hide)
Oh? I thought you'd say you agree she's not attracted to him but disagree that she's repulsed by him. Ah well.

Is there really a rule that says you can't hit girls though?
Well, I guess anyone can sue you if you hit them hard enough.
Though seriously, don't tell me you never met people who live by the personal rule of "never hitting a girl under any circumstances" and who believe anyone who do is awful.

Because as I see it, it depends more on which kind of hit is being used.

1) When someone slaps you in the face with the palm of their hand, they're making a statement. They are letting you know that you have severely offened/angered them. This is more often used by females (on male and female), but it can also be done by males, like Shiro hitting Rin in the face in the first chapter. It is meant to hurt but not to injure; it is not an invitation to start a fight. Do not hit back.

2) When someone punches you in the face with their fist, they're picking a fight. Go ahead and hit back if you want. The only exception here is if a woman (or a man, for that matter) is punching you in defence because you cornered/grabbed her or something. But if a girl socks you in the jaw out of the blue, I certainly wouldn't blame you for returning the favor.
That's common sense. I surely can get behind that. But a slap can still do some serious damage if you lock your wrist and put a lot of force into it. It's even worse if you use the back of your hand.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 03:58:28 AM by chinonamida »

Offline tandem

• Intermediate Second Class
« Reply #516 on: June 16, 2017, 04:27:08 PM »
One of the reasons I liked her most recent talk with Renzou is that, even though she was annoyed, she never hit or insulted him. I hope that development is permanent.
I actually like that scene too. Though I see it as two people who don't get along but manage to stay polite and considerate of each other, because they have to work together.
Well, that sounds kind of ... inaccurate. In Chapter 88 they were assigned the task by Shiemi. Even if you consider it as "a work they must do together", they didn't necessarily have to talk about other things besides the task (cake). And I wouldn't say the conversation was "polite" because it was quite straightforward.

And Izumo isn't that kind of person who hit others out from nowhere or only because of very minor things. Insulting ... maybe, but he was not really annoying and she was not really annoyed at that scene, so I don't see it's possible that Izumo would hit or insulted him there.

Izumo doesn't outright call him a creep like she did before. She generally sees through his joking around. The best moment is when Renzou tries to play his "that's how you differ from me" over Izumo being open about how she cares for her friends, and Izumo just throws back how they are the same and Renzou really cares about them too. While Izumo doesn't like his annoying and deceptive behavior, she sees it as a front. She fundamentally knows he cares for them and she cares about him too, which is why she asked him to be careful in the tough times ahead. That's a great foundation for her developing feelings for him, especially if Renzou ends up leaning more towards his friends as the situation with the Illuminati gets precarious. The closer the Illuminati get to their goal, the less they will need Renzou. Eventually they'll turn on him, and I really want to see Izumo and Renzou fighting side-by-side.
I agree with earthforge here. I believe that Renzou and Izumo have the potential to be a good couple.
(click to show/hide)
Oh? I thought you'd say you agree she's not attracted to him but disagree that she's repulsed by him. Ah well.
Although I agree that Izumo is not attracted to him, I can see the possibly potential, or a seed, in that scene. Besides the apparent change of her attitude and her concern of his safety, what surprised me is that she pointed out that he cares others, even in a very confirming way. It means she either observed him or tried to analyze him based on memory.

I also think this kind of progress after the nine tail arc is reasonable. The most evident motivation is the survival of the foxes. Knowing that he has controlled the power of his attack so that the fox didn't get permanent injury, Izumo surely was impressed. (And I believe Izumo never impressed by him before the nine-tail arc.) Izumo hasn't get any answer after she asked him about that. In the short term she is angry, but in the long term she inevitably tries to observe or analyze by herself (like what we readers have been doing). Still, it is not necessarily lead to a romantic development and can be the start of a friendship development.

I hope she will never hit him. We can all agree he doesn't like it and he's got enough from his family.

And I wonder, do you guys think he'd never hit back? If he does, it's bad because she's weaker, but if she doesn't, it's bad because he can't defend himself.
At least with his brothers he can hit back. Even though he usually doesn't. Since he doesn't have a violent nature.
Again, I don't think Izumo likes to hit others, so I don't see any problem here.

About the Shima family, those were actually training instead of violence. And he just doesn't like training instead of doesn't like to hit back. Izumo is not going to become a knight, so it's not possible she would join that kind of training.

Is there really a rule that says you can't hit girls though?
Well, I guess anyone can sue you if you hit them hard enough.
Though seriously, don't tell me you never met people who live by the personal rule of "never hitting a girl under any circumstances" and who believe anyone who do is awful.
Maybe because Renzou's attitude to female is kind of reminiscent of Sanji in One Piece, so readers might suspect whether he has any similar rule as Sanji. Even if this is the case, it's still personal choice rather than general standard.

Because as I see it, it depends more on which kind of hit is being used.

That's common sense. I surely can get behind that. But a slap can still do some serious damage if you lock your wrist and put a lot of force into it. It's even worse if you use the back of your hand.
Yukio's punch at the end of IK arc somewhat lies between the two category. I guess that's why it's controversial there

I think both of them are not attracted to each other and are already in friendship or professional but non-romantic relationship. Although Renzou likes to go out with her and always complimenting and never really forceful, I don't see it's any different from his attitude to other girls, so I wouldn't say he is sincere to her. Therefore I also don't see Izumo repulsed him since he is not sincere from the start.
Izumo doesn't like him precisely because she thinks that. That it's all just an act and that he does the same to every girls. That's part of being flirty and silly or fooling around.
But I think he's sincere because of that one scene during the Inari arc after she slapped him.

I know two people who are a lot like Renzou in that regard, so I know.That's one of my brothers, and one of my childhood friends who is now going out with that girl I ended up going out with before him. That's actually an interesting story, he was always complimenting her and asking her out, but he did so in such a ... theatrical way, that she never believed he was being serious. One day I just offhandedly asked her out and she accepted. After a few years of not getting along we broke up. And after a few years of not hearing from her I learned they were getting married. I suppose she should just have gone out with him from the start. X)

Given that the last time Izumo and Renzo were together, Renzo both literally and figuratively stabbed her in the back, I dont think Izumo is cold towards him just because he is annoying. Izumo said it herself that she hasnt forgiven him for the deception and it is fair considering he hasnt done anything to redeem himself in her eyes. This was a girl who had severe trust issues due to her past and Renzo betrayed her in what could probably be the worst way possible. I honestly dont think Renzo even remotely expects or believes that his feelings will be returned
Since I don't see he has ever been sincere to Izumo, surely I also don't think he expects or believes any "return". Still, as described above Izumo is not as cold as she was before the nine-tail arc. Though I do believe any kind of truly friendship or/and romantic development will only happen after he reveal/redeem himself.

Regarding his facial expression after she slapped him, it could still be a friendship development.

I don't feel like Izumo's attitude was really tsundere at the start of the series. In my opinion she was also exactly who she wanted to be. At first she thought Shiemi was challenging her in the tamer class. Then she thought Shiemi was annoying. In her first conflict with Bon, she was actually regard Aria as weak. Then in the second conflict on the train, she was actually regard their attitude to Rin as harsh. She was sincere at those scenes. We also saw Izumo was always nice to Paku, and she was also nice to Rin after he rescued her. So I don't think she choose to change her attitude to become generally softer, instead she realized she is not alone and they are actually nice guys, so she regret and changed her attitude to them. I don't think she changes her attitude to people besides the exwires.
Her actions were not completely insincere, but they were insincere in a way. Like in the train, she wanted to defend Rin and wanted everyone to get along, but when Rin thanked her, she said she only did it because their attitudes pissed her off. Same as when she gave Rin back his shirt and he said something like "thanks, you even washed it and all", all she could say back was something like "that's because it was so dirty". As for when she argued with Ryuuji about Aria, she was arguing that people should learn how to fight alone and not rely on others, but when Ryuuji told her she will really end up alone if she stays like this, she looked like it hit her hard. And with Shiemi, in the tamer class she was jealous of how cute and friendly Nii-san was and how Shiemi stole her spotlight, so she complimented her and her summon in a sarcastic way making it an insult (even though Shiemi just took it as a compliment). As for the rest, Izumo was annoyed by Shiemi because she was jealous of how very sincere Shiemi is. Izumo can't bring herself to be completely sincere and that's what makes her a Tsundere. Remember, that's also what Paku told her the night of the festival; to try and be more sincere.
Around the festival Izumo was somewhat in the middle between repelling the exwires and recognizing them as good friends (mainly because of what happened at IK arc), so Paku made the speech there. Paku wouldn't say that when Izumo was annoyed by Shiemi the first time. When Izumo argued with Bon about the weakness of Aria, she was somewhat lost confidence because of the previous incident and Paku decided to quit, so Bon's comment reminded her about that. I think she was worried about her friendship with Paku, not with the classmates (like Bon) she was not familiar with yet. I do agree her attitude to Rin has not been completely sincere and more like tsundere.

Offline chinonamida

« Reply #517 on: June 16, 2017, 08:17:59 PM »
Well, that sounds kind of ... inaccurate. In Chapter 88 they were assigned the task by Shiemi. Even if you consider it as "a work they must do together", they didn't necessarily have to talk about other things besides the task (cake). And I wouldn't say the conversation was "polite" because it was quite straightforward.

And Izumo isn't that kind of person who hit others out from nowhere or only because of very minor things. Insulting ... maybe, but he was not really annoying and she was not really annoyed at that scene, so I don't see it's possible that Izumo would hit or insulted him there.
I meant they both work together as exorcist exwires who are regularly sent on missions with the others and must study in the same classes.

I admit they could have been more polite. But as far as I can tell, no matter how direct they were, that's still polite.
If I compare them to truly polite people and truly impolite people, they're clearly on the polite side.

I agree Izumo doesn't hit people over minor things. And I don't want her to become someone who does. X(

You can't say she wasn't annoyed on that second panel there.
She always frown and narrow her eyes when she's annoyed.

About the Shima family, those were actually training instead of violence. And he just doesn't like training instead of doesn't like to hit back. Izumo is not going to become a knight, so it's not possible she would join that kind of training.
That's still violent. Violent training. You can't escape it with pretty words.

In her first conflict with Bon, she was actually regard Aria as weak.
when she argued with Ryuuji about Aria, she was arguing that people should learn how to fight alone and not rely on others, but when Ryuuji told her she will really end up alone if she stays like this, she looked like it hit her hard.
When Izumo argued with Bon about the weakness of Aria, she was somewhat lost confidence because of the previous incident and Paku decided to quit, so Bon's comment reminded her about that. I think she was worried about her friendship with Paku, not with the classmates (like Bon) she was not familiar with yet.
I agree loosing Paku was one of her concerns at the time.
But there's also the concern of: if she loses Paku, she has no one else. And she's terrible at making friends, or at least she was. So beyond her fear of loosing Paku, there's the fear of being left completely alone.

I don't feel like Izumo's attitude was really tsundere at the start of the series. In my opinion she was also exactly who she wanted to be. At first she thought Shiemi was challenging her in the tamer class. Then she thought Shiemi was annoying.

Her actions were not completely insincere, but they were insincere in a way. [...] In the tamer class she was jealous of how cute and friendly Nii-san was and how Shiemi stole her spotlight, so she complimented her and her summon in a sarcastic way making it an insult (even though Shiemi just took it as a compliment). As for the rest, Izumo was annoyed by Shiemi because she was jealous of how very sincere Shiemi is. Izumo can't bring herself to be completely sincere and that's what makes her a Tsundere. Remember, that's also what Paku told her the night of the festival; to try and be more sincere.
Around the festival Izumo was somewhat in the middle between repelling the exwires and recognizing them as good friends (mainly because of what happened at IK arc), so Paku made the speech there. Paku wouldn't say that when Izumo was annoyed by Shiemi the first time.
Like I said, Izumo's actions were not completely insincere, but they were insincere in a way. At the start, she was annoyed by Shiemi, but wasn't sincere about why she was annoyed. I don't think at that time Paku realized why she was annoyed.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 08:42:21 PM by chinonamida »

Offline xyzt

• Junior Second Class
« Reply #518 on: June 17, 2017, 03:25:26 PM »

Also I am pretty sure Kizo's constant kicking arent part of Renzo's training.

Offline chinonamida

« Reply #519 on: June 17, 2017, 05:07:12 PM »
It's to train his reflexes, by hitting when he least expects it. JK

Offline tandem

• Intermediate Second Class
« Reply #520 on: June 19, 2017, 04:00:43 PM »
It's to train his reflexes, by hitting when he least expects it. JK
I actually think that's partially true. It looks like Kinzou's action is mostly like some kind of special greeting or doing for fun, but he may also expect Renzou step aside or block the kick. He does yell loud with the attack so there is still time to respond. I don't see really bad intention in it, maybe it is violent in our standard but Kinzou just doesn't think so.

Offline earthforge

• Meat Popsicle
« Reply #521 on: August 06, 2017, 07:49:01 AM »
So, thoughts on Yukio x Shiemi?

As screwed up as this sounds, I'm actually happy with what's happened between those two. YukiShi has always bugged me because those two never dug deeper. They've coasted on enjoying each other's presence, with Yukio inspiring Shiemi and Shiemi calming Yukio. Yet they both have substantial internal complexity. The interaction always felt stale because Shiemi was too uncertain of herself to pry, and Yukio never wanted things to change.

Then bam, chapter 93.

Shiemi had the confidence to confront Yukio on what he was hiding, and Yukio opened up. More than that, *he* hugged her. I don't think I can underscore how big it was that he initiated the hug. I feel like it's the brightest sign that Yukio can change for the better. At the same time, it was the red flashing warning sign that Yukio had lost control.

Sigh. Which takes us to the slam. What Yukio did was ten levels of not okay, even though it is understandable considering how emotionally screwed up he is. Shiemi is probably the one person who'd forgive him. While she was shocked because she didn't expect him to do that (and tbf neither did 98% of the audience), this isn't Shiemi's first rodeo in approaching a depressed aggressive Okumura twin. Granted, Rin unintentionally chucked flames at her in chapter 24 that ended up not hurting her at all. Here Yukio shoved her to the ground in a sudden paranoid fit.

The heart-breaking part is how things might have worked out if Yukio hadn't ran away. If instead he said sorry immediately.

Nothing can go back to the way it was before. But, that could be a good thing. After they process their issues (Yukio's abilities, Shiemi's secret), perhaps they could build their connection anew without false pretenses.

tl;dr YukiShi just became an angst pair and i have an unhealthy love for those.
"There are no answers. Only choices."

Offline kirarin

• Junior First Class
« Reply #522 on: August 06, 2017, 01:31:38 PM »
I always love and enjoy yukishi. no matter what. NO MATTER WHAT.  thank god for @earthforge for having a way with words. i can't describe it. yukio's feelings, they were never explored. didn't need to.  no need for words. those times he wanted to escape everyone from home and his thoughts, and all that despair and painful turmoil, he'd prefer to hang outside her house like  a thug.  when she said it's fine to be pathetic at times, he embraced her and i was melting and hurting all at the same time. you could not even see it in a shipping perspective like you don't actually have to think that in a romantic way bc it wasn't. he wanted comfort and shiemi was there. he put down his walls, of all people only to her. probably i think he didn't even really cared anymore. that scene reminded me of the kenshin and kaoru moment where kenshin before departing said goodbye to her except there was no romance intended on yukishi. just angst asking for warmth and affection which backfired a little but that's what makes you even more engrossed on them. t'is all folks. im done. hate on me. im a victim of angst.

Offline gokusdonut

• Junior Second Class
« Reply #523 on: August 06, 2017, 03:03:41 PM »
I still feel as I felt before. I live and breath for one-sided Yukio/Shiemi and believe firmly that he and Shiemi wouldn't have a healthy, romantic relationship; though, I'm all for platonic Yukio/Shiemi, which I believe works best for both of them, especially Yukio, given that he claimed he didn't "have a single friend." Angst has never really been my thing. Vanilla fluff on the other hand... I feel like this latest chapter confirmed what I felt about the ship all along, but I would be remiss if I said I didn't agree with everything @earthforge said.

The hug, Yukio finally opening up, Shiemi reciprocating that hug. It was really sweet and necessary. Despite his error with slamming Shiemi to the floor, this needed to happen in order for Yukio's development to turn around for the better, because now the only place he has left to go is up. So, yeah, platonically, I think it works the best in both their favor.

(Sorry if I'm not going in depth; I just woke up and am out of my element with an intense cold. >_>)

Offline Wikkelsoee

« Reply #524 on: August 07, 2017, 08:27:16 AM »
As things are now I really don't hope Yukio and Shiemi end up together. Yukio needs to sort his problems out first. It wouldn't be fair for Shiemi if she had to burden the responsibilty of taking care of him when he's suicidal like that.
I'm betting on this manga having a happy end though, so I might cheer for them in the future :D