Author Topic: Smalltalk  (Read 177548 times)

Offline earthforge

• Meat Popsicle
  • Intermediate First Class
Re: Smalltalk
« Reply #1500 on: August 20, 2017, 06:10:59 PM »
Not that I'm gonna be posting much--currently on a road trip to try and see the solar eclipse ^-^

Ditto! I'm going to be driving to Wyoming tomorrow ungodly early in the morning (I've driven at 3 am to see a Falcon 9 launch before, so it should be fine). Scared about the commute back though. 0.0
"There are no answers. Only choices."

Offline Wikkelsoee

« Reply #1501 on: August 20, 2017, 08:16:13 PM »
Welcome back =D I was starting to get worried.

Offline WhiteFang

• Page
« Reply #1502 on: August 21, 2017, 12:06:00 PM »
YAY WE'RE BACK! <3

Still find it interesting that there's a lot of science-y people here. Wonder why? Are we all going to meet up at some international science conference one day? Share research papers and Blue Exorcist discussions over coffee? That's the life

I'll be "unscientific" here and say, universe willing... =D

Offline theodoraT.

• Page
« Reply #1503 on: August 21, 2017, 04:16:19 PM »
Hello everyone!  I'm new to this forum (I have been stalking it for 2 years already)!
I was so happy that the forum is back, so I decided it's time for me to become a member already!
Just an anime, art and ballet freak ;)

Offline Cherub

• Junior Second Class
« Reply #1504 on: August 22, 2017, 10:18:15 AM »
Not that I'm gonna be posting much--currently on a road trip to try and see the solar eclipse ^-^

Ditto! I'm going to be driving to Wyoming tomorrow ungodly early in the morning (I've driven at 3 am to see a Falcon 9 launch before, so it should be fine). Scared about the commute back though. 0.0

Ah, I'm so jealous!! Wished I was in America. My brother recently tripped over my telescope and broke its legs so I really wanted a new telescope for my birthday, even if it's like a $400 celestron. I hate the idea of missing events like these .°(ಗдಗ。)°.

Offline Cherub

• Junior Second Class
« Reply #1505 on: August 22, 2017, 10:20:16 AM »
Hello everyone!  I'm new to this forum (I have been stalking it for 2 years already)!
I was so happy that the forum is back, so I decided it's time for me to become a member already!

Well welcome~ (*´∀`*)
Pretty sure everyone here has stalked this forum sometime in their life.

Offline earthforge

• Meat Popsicle
« Reply #1506 on: August 22, 2017, 03:28:48 PM »
Baaaack from the eclipse. I got real lucky that my scope set-up worked perfectly and got some really cool photos. I'll share 'em sometime this week!

(Also, traffic was terrible on the way back, but we were south of the line of totality so it wasn't the worst.)

Ah, I'm so jealous!! Wished I was in America. My brother recently tripped over my telescope and broke its legs so I really wanted a new telescope for my birthday, even if it's like a $400 celestron. I hate the idea of missing events like these .°(ಗдಗ。)°.

Oh no! What kind of telescope did you have? There might be a way to fix or replace the legs. As long as your optics are good, you can do a lot with scopes. I own two 5" Celestrons, an orange tube from the 80's and a go-to scope from the 00's.

Offline Paradox

• Intermediate Second Class
  • "Despite everything, it's still you."
« Reply #1507 on: August 22, 2017, 06:48:52 PM »
Today I bought AnE volume 18 and they put this cute card in the first edition. I just want to share this drawing.
(I've been a fan for 5 years now...how time flies!)

Offline Cherub

• Junior Second Class
« Reply #1508 on: August 23, 2017, 09:28:48 AM »
Oh no! What kind of telescope did you have? There might be a way to fix or replace the legs. As long as your optics are good, you can do a lot with scopes. I own two 5" Celestrons, an orange tube from the 80's and a go-to scope from the 00's.

Aww, so lucky~ I'd be lucky to even get one.

The legs? sorry I meant that platform in between the legs that keeps it together, the place where you can leave the eye pieces??
My brother did fix them but with new material ... because it snapped. I have no idea if my optics are any good, I've been meaning to walk into a store and ask for advice but I'm a shy human being with anxiety issues.

I've had that telescope since I was 11 but I never got to use it properly so I'm technically still an amateur whose had a telescope in her room for 7 years. My dad thought it was broken but I didn't want to throw it out cause I think it possibly just hasn't been collimated idk, I tried looking up the brand but nothing related came up (Is Explorer even a brand??)

I still want a new telescope though regardless of its current condition, Ive always wanted something portable so I spent like a whole week just watching telescope reviews for the celestron Nexstar SE series but I can't afford it (also WHY IS AMERICAN CURRENCY SO HIGH!!! I got my hopes up but in Australia it's like $1,000 plus dollars for me).

I still wanted a celestron with decent apature though, and although I feel like I could do better for deep space objects than a Celestron Nexstar 90STL I've always just liked the idea of a star navigation system (*´∀`*) .... it just looks cool even though there are other good brands out there.... that you could also attach a star navigation system to ...

But I should probably consider others even if they aren't going to be a newtonian. I mean, there's nothing wrong with reflectors or refractors I'm just worried I'll do something stupid probably.

Please excuse the rant, I didn't think it would be this big!
But do you have any telescopes you'd recomend with decent apature, portability and price for a beginner?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 10:12:17 AM by Cherub »

Offline WhiteFang

• Page
« Reply #1509 on: August 23, 2017, 07:27:02 PM »

Hello and welcome! :D

Offline Khalumia

• Page
« Reply #1510 on: August 23, 2017, 09:06:28 PM »
Oooo, so happy the forum's back, yay :D

Heya and welcome! Take a seat, have a cookie, and make yourself at home!

Offline earthforge

• Meat Popsicle
« Reply #1511 on: September 18, 2017, 09:49:56 PM »
^ Glad you had a nice trip to Japan! Yeah, I'm not surprised that the Kyoto Tower is awkwardly arranged. I think I read years ago that a lot of residents find it an eyesore. XD

(click to show/hide)

I'm going to Tucson maybe in October, and for sure to New Orleans in December. Hoorah travel!

*Deliberately ignoring the fact that I have to pass the exam that decides if I live or die as a graduate student this semester*

But do you have any telescopes you'd recomend with decent apature, portability and price for a beginner?

Celestron Maksutovs are awesome. I really love the 5-6" aperture ones, it's a good balance of portability, although the mirrors can be sensitive (I've got mirror flop on my C5 ;A; ).

I'd recommend trying someone else's NexStar first before buying. They've got a lot of quirks, and the system's under constant development. Mine has a sloughing problem with the gears occasionally. They also consume batteries like crazy! (I actually ran out of battery after one hour when i was set up for the eclipse, boy was it fun to do a last minute swap out.)

The key is to not get fooled into buying a used scope above >$500. A lot of the telescope biz is haggling. My dad frequently gets small scopes for less than $200. A Newtonian or reflector is a good starter.

(so sorry this is over a month late ;_; )

Offline NeeNee

• Administrator
  • Senior First Class
« Reply #1512 on: September 28, 2017, 07:51:11 PM »
NeeNee hasn't been online for a month. I imagine her reaction upon seeing the burst of forum activity and the multiple pages in the spoiler moping thread will be like this:

Actually really, really pleased with how well the forum's been doing. It's still active, everyone's mostly on topic and I haven't noticed any fights (yet).

Even the spambots seem to have behaved. I should go away more often. :P

Offline Wikkelsoee

« Reply #1513 on: September 28, 2017, 07:57:43 PM »
Wb, NeeNee! I hope life hasn't been too stressful since you've been away for so long.

Offline SimpleBliss

• Junior First Class
  • When in doubt, talk it out
« Reply #1514 on: September 28, 2017, 10:21:57 PM »
NeeNee hasn't been online for a month. I imagine her reaction upon seeing the burst of forum activity and the multiple pages in the spoiler moping thread will be like this:

Actually really, really pleased with how well the forum's been doing. It's still active, everyone's mostly on topic and I haven't noticed any fights (yet).

Even the spambots seem to have behaved. I should go away more often. :P

WELCOME BACK NEENEE! It's good to have you back! The forum went down at one point and we all burst into flames but it came back, thankfully.

Have you been keeping up with the manga though? I can't wait to hear your opinion on what's been going on!