Author Topic: Smalltalk  (Read 177551 times)

Offline earthforge

• Meat Popsicle
  • Intermediate First Class
Re: Smalltalk
« Reply #1470 on: July 25, 2017, 05:09:57 PM »
I can retake the exam if I fail part of it. It's the physics doctoral candidacy exam for my university. There are three parts: a paper, a presentation, and physics Q&A. I'll be fine on the paper and presentation (I've been doing those since I was fourteen), but the physics Q&A... eep. We can literally get asked things like "what is the weight of all the air molecules in this room" or "how is a metal like a plasma".

Congratulations on passing your exam! Becoming a doctor is hella hard, kudos!
"There are no answers. Only choices."

Offline Wikkelsoee

« Reply #1471 on: July 25, 2017, 05:35:13 PM »
It doesn't sound as hard as what you're doing!

I'm sure you'll do fine. You always hear horror stories but when you're finally in the actual situation things tend to go well if you've prepared enough. I've always thought the hardest thing is to realize where I have to put my focus. I've seen several of my classmates study 12 hours a day but still fail their exams.
You're a smart girl, earth. You can do it :) Just don't give up halfway.

(then again, I suck a studying, so what do I know)

Offline WhiteFang

• Page
« Reply #1472 on: July 25, 2017, 11:28:33 PM »
Seeing the exam talk made me feel like posting! Exams are such a pain, I already feel so tired of them, because it's like they make me learn nothing. I'll start the second year of my Masters this Fall; I really want to do a PhD, but I might be too much of an idiot for it LOL xD

I can retake the exam if I fail part of it. It's the physics doctoral candidacy exam for my university. There are three parts: a paper, a presentation, and physics Q&A. I'll be fine on the paper and presentation (I've been doing those since I was fourteen), but the physics Q&A... eep. We can literally get asked things like "what is the weight of all the air molecules in this room" or "how is a metal like a plasma".

Congratulations on passing your exam! Becoming a doctor is hella hard, kudos!

All the veeeery best for it! May I ask what's your specialization in physics? While I study (physical) chemistry after switching from chemical engineering, I always find myself drawn towards more physics-y texts...xD
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 11:32:12 PM by WhiteFang »

Offline earthforge

• Meat Popsicle
« Reply #1473 on: July 27, 2017, 12:37:50 AM »
Thanks Wikkel! That's actually really reassuring to read. I'll prepare as best as I can!

All the veeeery best for it! May I ask what's your specialization in physics? While I study (physical) chemistry after switching from chemical engineering, I always find myself drawn towards more physics-y texts...xD

Plasma physics. Magnets and radiation yay, lasers and kinematics nay (and don't get me started on solid state).

Pchem's cool. It's my favorite field of chemistry.

Offline WhiteFang

• Page
« Reply #1474 on: July 27, 2017, 01:06:35 AM »
Plasma physics. Magnets and radiation yay, lasers and kinematics nay (and don't get me started on solid state).

XD That might put us on opposing ends of the spectrum; I actually am really looking forward to learning about and playing with lasers, but perhaps that has something to do with my interest in photophysics/photochemistry. Magnets, though - magnets are definitely cool. x)

I feel like pchem might end up being the perfect choice for me in the sense that, I find interesting enough to pursue, but at the same time, I don't love it so much that if the system manages to choke out my fondness of it, I'd feel like I'd lost part of myself (which would be the case for math/philosophy/physics/literature -- which is why I wouldn't ever pursue them professionally).

Offline earthforge

• Meat Popsicle
« Reply #1475 on: August 02, 2017, 04:52:37 PM »
NeeNee hasn't been online for a month. I imagine her reaction upon seeing the burst of forum activity and the multiple pages in the spoiler moping thread will be like this:

Offline Cloelia

• Intermediate Second Class
« Reply #1476 on: August 02, 2017, 09:47:03 PM »
NeeNee hasn't been online for a month. I imagine her reaction upon seeing the burst of forum activity and the multiple pages in the spoiler moping thread will be like this:

Now that you mention it, what happened to her? If it was said earlier somewhere, I missed it.

Offline Cherub

• Junior Second Class
« Reply #1477 on: August 03, 2017, 07:25:21 AM »
Damn Wikke and EF, keep at it!
I am, well, work has been crazy. But it's mostly my coworker that is a problem. I had a breakdown over how mean she was and even though it's gotten better it's hard not to feel attacked by every little thing.

And I'm going to Japan this weekend. haha wow i'm excited and nervous. ahhh i still have last minute prep to do so i wish i could catch up more with this board, and reread the manga!!! i'll be on the lookout for aoex while i'm there!!!

Ugh, that sounds so horrible!! Best of wishes~

Wha- Japan? I'm so jelly :<
Me and my friend have made a goal to at least go the the 2020 Olympics there... (hopefully sooner tho).

Offline earthforge

• Meat Popsicle
« Reply #1478 on: August 04, 2017, 07:08:23 PM »
That awkward moment when you run into an IRL friend you havent talked to in months but have on tumblr.

Friend: Any way, see ya and... good luck with "Ao no Exorcist".
Me: Wat.
Friend: *grinning*
Me: Ah... right I've posted a lot of that and, you're... um... I'm sorry I forgot tumblr... existed. See ya *bolts out the door*

Offline Wikkelsoee

« Reply #1479 on: August 07, 2017, 08:35:25 AM »
^ I'm sorry about your social life. I'm glad my IRL friends (who aren't as much as a weeb as I am) aren't that much on the internet.

Offline earthforge

• Meat Popsicle
« Reply #1480 on: August 07, 2017, 03:34:38 PM »
Many of my close friends are weebs, although none are into AoEx like I am. So they understand but it's one of those "... why did you verbalize how weeb-y I am in the physics lab hallway?" moments.

Hm. NeeNee hasn't logged in for over a month now. A little worried. Hope she's doing alright. (Now my 20-20 hindsight hits that we should have a team chat like a Discord or Slack for this forum).

Offline WhiteFang

• Page
« Reply #1481 on: August 08, 2017, 02:44:33 AM »
^But we do have a Discord? I think?

Also, guess I'm the only one who wishes to wear my weeb-ness (or whatever it's called xD) with pride on my sleeve. Especially like, in my lab / with my research mates and stuff. The weird quotient is high enough already, and if anyone wants to judge, that's kinda sad for them lol (but I'm pretty sure no one in the group is like that). Unfortunately, there's no one around me at all who's an anime fan and/or knows me well enough (personally, on the internet or otherwise) to point such a thing out in the lab hallway. :P I might go in a costume one day to remedy this..

Offline SimpleBliss

• Junior First Class
  • When in doubt, talk it out
« Reply #1482 on: August 08, 2017, 05:25:04 AM »

XD That might put us on opposing ends of the spectrum; I actually am really looking forward to learning about and playing with lasers, but perhaps that has something to do with my interest in photophysics/photochemistry. Magnets, though - magnets are definitely cool. x)

I feel like pchem might end up being the perfect choice for me in the sense that, I find interesting enough to pursue, but at the same time, I don't love it so much that if the system manages to choke out my fondness of it, I'd feel like I'd lost part of myself (which would be the case for math/philosophy/physics/literature -- which is why I wouldn't ever pursue them professionally).

All this talk about physics, I gotta join in. I'm more of a biophysicist. We use a lot of non-linear optics in this field, which I didn't think I'd ever get into but...here I am, for some reason??? Knee deep in this field?? I don't even know how it happened, but it did. I love lasers and light, and especially its applications in the medical field (I also LOVE kinematics, it's my life, I love it). In biophysics, there's a lot of new imaging tools that can be used to study the human body differently, and other tools that are created using light (like the optical tweezers) that can help analyze it better. I'm mainly interested in using this interdisciplinary field to help study cancer and its effects on the human body

Offline Wikkelsoee

« Reply #1483 on: August 08, 2017, 03:28:26 PM »
Wow, we have a lot of science-y people here. ^ That sounds really cool, Bliss! If you ever publish something interesting, let us know.

Offline SimpleBliss

• Junior First Class
  • When in doubt, talk it out
« Reply #1484 on: August 09, 2017, 02:36:40 AM »
Haha for sure, I will. Hopefully I can get published soon, when I get more experience in my next research project! Though not published yet, I did land an interview on CTV (National Television) with my twin sister, which is nice. Of course, it was mostly because of the novelty of being a "twin competing against her twin" in an upper level science competition for high schoolers. See, I did my first research project in high school when my biology teacher encouraged me to sign up for this competition (Sanofi Biogenius Canada) that connects high school students to professors to do research. Ended up hopping into an existing research project that a professor at a hospital research facility in Toronto was willing to give me, that dove me right into non-linear optics. Why they thought this was a good idea to give a 17 year old, no one knows, but I managed it somehow, and now voila...here I am, doing my second project just out of first year university. Hopefully I can just stay with this lab, or lab hop for the rest of my undergrad in third and fourth year. Excited to see what’ll happen. But yeah, landed that CTV interview because, well...as we can see with this manga, people sure love twins, don't they?