Author Topic: Daily check-ups  (Read 5966 times)

Offline Taytronics7

• Junior Second Class
Re: Daily check-ups
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2017, 03:09:40 PM »
I'm glad NeeNee brought this topic up.
I've always wondered what tests they'd put them through to confirm someone's humanity... blood test? Or is it like pour an anti-demon pharmacology formula on them and see if they have a reaction to it.

Anyways, there's this small thing that's bothered me ever since the kraken arc - the demon whale (Amatsumi?) states: "Your of royal lineage."
http://www3.mangafreak.net/Read1_Ao_No_Exorcist_36_17

Supposedly to Rin, but it is a possibility that he was addressing the two of them cause he never elaborated. But if he was only talking about Rin, it would be interesting to know if Yukio's demonic heritage can't let itself be known to others unless its activated? So therefore he ultimently comes across as human maybe. That is assuming all demons can tell when there's another demon in the room. This isn't really a theory of mine, I've just pondered about this insignificant fact more than once and wondered if it was even worth bringing up - I'm just kinda throwing it out there.

I kind of always just assumed all demons had that sixth sense to be able to smoke out other demons within an extended range. Is this ability only limited to the kings or various demons as well?

I've wondered about that myself. Amatsumi said he used the Sea Monkey to lead Rin, Yukio, and Shiemi to his shrine. I think he was addressing Rin, but the way he talks about it is somewhat vague.

I've also wondered why the Sea Monkey really liked Shiemi. I assumed it's because she has a Greenman familiar, but maybe it's for a different reason?

Also, why would the Kraken kidnap her? The Kraken wouldn't come to the beach or island because it was scared of Amatsumi. Maybe to lure Rin and Yukio out?

Offline earthforge

• Meat Popsicle
  • Intermediate First Class
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2017, 03:39:22 PM »
I've always wondered what tests they'd put them through to confirm someone's humanity... blood test? Or is it like pour an anti-demon pharmacology formula on them and see if they have a reaction to it.

Back in chapter 72, Yukio referred to the tests implying that he hadn't "inherited" like Rin. I think that means they check bloodwork for non-human factors, and Yukio has none. If that's the case, it wouldn't rule out if Yukio only has localized non-human factors, e.g. in his eyes.

Anyways, there's this small thing that's bothered me ever since the kraken arc - the demon whale (Amatsumi?) states: "Your of royal lineage."

Supposedly to Rin, but it is a possibility that he was addressing the two of them cause he never elaborated. But if he was only talking about Rin, it would be interesting to know if Yukio's demonic heritage can't let itself be known to others unless its activated? So therefore he ultimently comes across as human maybe. That is assuming all demons can tell when there's another demon in the room. This isn't really a theory of mine, I've just pondered about this insignificant fact more than once and wondered if it was even worth bringing up - I'm just kinda throwing it out there.

I kind of always just assumed all demons had that sixth sense to be able to smoke out other demons within an extended range. Is this ability only limited to the kings or various demons as well?

(Gotta love Yukio's peeved expression in that panel. Sigh. Isn't it funny that arc was the last time when Yukio was relatively mentally healthy? At least he was openly being a dick instead of his weird polite shit.)

Pretty sure Wadatsumi was only talking to Rin in that panel. Presumably Wadatsumi through the Sea Monkey saw Rin use his flames in attacking the Kraken, as the Sea Monkey extended the coral rack immediately after.

Not entirely sure. Given that other shown part-demons lack Rin's detector ability but that Mephisto described sensing Lucy's power, I'm thinking it's only a high-tier ability some have. Rin just gets recognized a lot more for his blue flames. OTOH, Rin seems to also have general telepathy. We're still not certain if his telepathic hearing of Yukio's call for help in the IK arc was because Yukio's abilities were active or because Rin and Yukio are differently connected.

I'm gonna bet all demons can roughly sense another, but the higher-tiers can pinpoint and talk to all the others. I also have the pet theory that Rin and Yukio share an ability to intimidate lower tier demons (which Rin used against the Leaper and the portrait demon harassing Godaiin, and Yukio accidentally used against Toudou since his powers activated in a near-death situation).
"There are no answers. Only choices."

Offline tandem

• Intermediate Second Class
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2017, 03:42:36 PM »
I'm suspecting it was an translation error. There exists a totally different translation
http://mangalife.us/read-online/Ao-No-Exorcist-chapter-36-page-16.html
(Is this Viz's translation?)

And in Chinese translation there is no "royal" either

the raw is here

Offline Kittykat

• Junior First Class
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2017, 04:15:46 PM »

It's hard to say. None of the low level demons reacted to Rin's presence until he flared up. "Get off of me." And "Leave." But on the same token, the naberius knew who he was without him exuding any demonic power.

Offline Kittykat

• Junior First Class
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2017, 04:18:51 PM »
I'm suspecting it was an translation error. There exists a totally different translation
http://mangalife.us/read-online/Ao-No-Exorcist-chapter-36-page-16.html
(Is this Viz's translation?)

And in Chinese translation there is no "royal" either

Says noble

Offline Madow

• Nephilim
  • Junior Second Class
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2017, 06:49:08 PM »
It's hard to say. None of the low level demons reacted to Rin's presence until he flared up. "Get off of me." And "Leave." But on the same token, the naberius knew who he was without him exuding any demonic power.

According to Lightning, Rin gives off no demonic prescense when the sword is sheathed, which makes sense since it kept him hidden for 15 years. I'd say the Naberius knew who he was because Neuhaus told him to target him.

Offline Kittykat

• Junior First Class
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2017, 06:59:49 PM »

According to Lightning, Rin gives off no demonic prescense when the sword is sheathed, which makes sense since it kept him hidden for 15 years. I'd say the Naberius knew who he was because Neuhaus told him to target him.

Not sure if he was saying anything about a demonic aura. Why mention him as a teen and not a human? I guess I just took it the same way as Shura's comment to Shiemi of her smelling like milk. And all Neuhaus had to say was, "Attack the one with the sword."
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 07:08:41 PM by Kittykat »

Offline earthforge

• Meat Popsicle
  • Intermediate First Class
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2017, 07:09:09 PM »

Not sure if he was saying anything about a demonic aura. Why mention him as a teen and not a human? And all Neuhaus had to say was, "Attack the one with the sword."

I think Lightning was just referring to his personal impression of Rin. Given Lightning's always been curious about demons, Rin probably feels unusual to him because Rin was raised human. So, that's a Lightning thing and not much more.
"There are no answers. Only choices."

Offline Kittykat

• Junior First Class
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2017, 07:59:47 PM »

Not sure if he was saying anything about a demonic aura. Why mention him as a teen and not a human? And all Neuhaus had to say was, "Attack the one with the sword."

I think Lightning was just referring to his personal impression of Rin. Given Lightning's always been curious about demons, Rin probably feels unusual to him because Rin was raised human. So, that's a Lightning thing and not much more.

Or something like, "I'm so glad to meet the son of Satan. I expected something scarier (or something closer to Mephisto), but you're just an ordinary teen." With the way the Vatican had been on Rin, he might've had different expectations.

Offline Madow

• Nephilim
  • Junior Second Class
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2017, 08:28:08 PM »
Even so, the sword kept him hidden for 15 years so that is an absolute fact. I don't see why it wouldn't have the same effect now, his demonic powers are returned yes but his heart is still sealed. I'm pretty sure other demons know he's a fellow demon when he casually keeps his tail out.

Offline Kittykat

• Junior First Class
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2017, 08:44:05 PM »
Even so, the sword kept him hidden for 15 years so that is an absolute fact. I don't see why it wouldn't have the same effect now, his demonic powers are returned yes but his heart is still sealed. I'm pretty sure other demons know he's a fellow demon when he casually keeps his tail out.

But even Shura stated that Kurikara is no longer enough to keep his heart contained, so obviously something has changed. Yes, it was sealed for 15 years, but the way they acted was that it was a temporary seal. Amaimon even eluded that the sword/sheathe acts as a small gateway to Gehenna.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 01:23:30 AM by Kittykat »

Offline tandem

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2017, 03:57:35 PM »
^ If that's the case, then those check-ups can't record demon-eaters given how Toudou was undetected until he decided to officially betray the Order.
It's still possible Toudou manage to become demon eater just after his last check-up, although the chance is small.

Since they didn't know there are demon eaters and probably they even didn't know there exist people who are willing to merge with/be possessed by demon, I am not surprised Toudou could pass the check-up. How do you test something you never know what it is?

In fact, the purpose the check-up may be different from what we thought. If nobody wanted to link to demons before those demon eater things, the check-up is probably only for detecting whether some demon secretly parasite the host, and from the start they never consider the possibility that the host doesn't want the demon to be discovered. If that's the case, the check-up is not necessarily mandatory.

Back in chapter 72, Yukio referred to the tests implying that he hadn't "inherited" like Rin. I think that means they check bloodwork for non-human factors, and Yukio has none. If that's the case, it wouldn't rule out if Yukio only has localized non-human factors, e.g. in his eyes.
I am thinking about DNA test since it looks like they already have the knowledge about how demons affect gene...

Offline Taytronics7

• Junior Second Class
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2017, 04:30:44 AM »
I wonder if mental check ups are a thing, like seeing a psychologist. Exorcists need to have a balanced mind so that they aren't possessed or tempted by demons. Yukio would so fail haha ;D

Offline NeeNee

• Administrator
  • Senior First Class
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2017, 04:36:51 PM »
^ Nah, Yukio would do great. He knows exactly what he is supposed to say and he can do so believably.

It'd all be lies, but good luck figuring that out if you don't know him.

Offline Cloelia

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2017, 07:17:12 PM »
^ Nah, Yukio would do great. He knows exactly what he is supposed to say and he can do so believably.

It'd all be lies, but good luck figuring that out if you don't know him.

Couldn't have said it better myself. So I quote.