Author Topic: Willing possession?  (Read 4173 times)

Offline NeeNee

• Administrator
  • Senior First Class
Willing possession?
« on: October 05, 2012, 11:50:19 PM »
I'm wondering about something. So far, we always assumed that demons are possession humans against their will. We know for a fact that this is the case with Satan (no, I am not counting the anime) and with the demon who was possessing a boy in the first chapter.

However, according to the legend, Johann Faust sold his soul to the devil (Mephistopheles) for power. And it's remarkable that Kazue Kato borrowed not just one, but both names.

So what if Mephito isn't body-napping, but is actually living there with the permission of the human host, Faust V? Would it be possible for demons to possess a human and 'share' the body? Would this be related to what Toudou is doing?

And would that mean that their personalities have blended or something? Because we never really see Mephisto change character, but he does seem to care for humanity a lot more than your average demon.

Offline Anya

• Junior First Class
Re: Willing possession?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 08:48:03 PM »
It's an interesting theory, but I imagine Mephisto is a person who doesn't make compromises. For him the end justifies the means, as we could see during the Kyoto arc.

Offline hijikata

• Page
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 05:48:50 AM »
I can totally support the idea that Mephisto is living there with permission.
Since he is obviously so much stronger there's nothing that the possessed would be able to do about it though.

Maybe to get the body he faked the compromise. He's a demon after all. Demon doesn't have good connotations.

As for personalities blending, I don't think that's the case. Mephisto doesn't care for humanity, he just sees it as a toy box. I'm sure he'd be able to find something else to amuse him if he had to.

But I think Toudou's case is different. He isn't even exactly.. possessed, is he?

They should share a body, if a demon wanted to, they could probably take a back seat. That's only, if they wanted to though.

Offline earthforge

• Meat Popsicle
  • Intermediate First Class
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 03:59:43 AM »
Toudou didn't compromise with Karura. He stole Karura's power and killed Karura. Karura only survived because he's a phoenix.

I wonder if that's because Toudou devoured Karura's demon heart, breaking it down and providing himself with the powers.

What I like is that this has ties into animistic cults all over the place. Especially in less developed regions. There is a belief that you become animated with the spirit of what you consumed in some cultures.

But as for Mephisto, I'd have no idea. Strongly possible that he has seized Faust's soul for eternity, AKA has Faust's body as a result of the deal they made.
"There are no answers. Only choices."

Offline justicecadet

• Junior Second Class
  • Not gonna be very active anymore <3
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 06:13:53 AM »
The explanation of possession have bothered me for a while.
Originally, we have Astaroth who possessed Shiratori and it seems that it was related to emotions but Shiratori is unconscious.
And we have other demons who are summoned and have their own bodies, like Nii-chan.
And possibly some that are major demons using other vessels like the Kraken (guessing).

But Toudou's case brings up two different points.
First, we were not introduced to the demon that Toudou was possessed by, instead it was referred to as Toudou became a demon. I don't know if he actually became a demon or if he just has a different kind of possession. I don't think Kazue plans on explaining this any further in the novel.
Second, he eats demons (Karura) and levels up. But I think Kazue is planning on going into the "demon eaters" soon.

AH MEPHISTO. He's probably the more complicated case and I am weary about using the anime details as fact. But based on the Faust stuff, he seems to need permission to live in a body but I don't think he shares the bodies. I am more interested in his case after ch 39 but man, the guy needs to stick to just one name.
Saying Toudou's name summons me

Offline Wikkelsoee

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 01:08:06 PM »
Demons can only enter Assiah through possessing, so far we haven't seen any exceptions. They tend to posses people who have 'wicked souls' according to Shiro. Lately it seems that they are also possessing people who are mentally weak (Like Toudou and possibly Yukio).
What I have been thinking about is the ability of the tamers. The demons they summon are already possessing some material in Assiah. Greenmen are possessing mud dolls (golems) and Naberius are demons created by men by sewing Ghouls together, meaning they already exist in out world. Does that mean Tamers have the ability to summon a demon from one part of Assiah to another?

I think whether or not you keep your consciousness has something to do with your knowledge about demons. If we assume "Shiratori" had no idea demons exist he would know he had become possessed, while Toudou is an exorcist and therefore has the necessary knowledge. This might not be the case for all exorcists. Toudou could just have been strong enough to overthrow the demon possessing him.

And about Mephisto: I think he just possessed some random man. I think we are reading to much into the Faust-thing.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 01:10:19 PM by Wikkelsoee »

Offline NeeNee

• Administrator
  • Senior First Class
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 07:58:12 PM »
I just had a somewhat odd idea. Do you think it would be possible to heal people by possession? Since at least for high-class demons, it seems like they're healing a whole lot faster than the average human does - even when they are in a human body. So would it possible to have a demon 'doctor' who possesses injured people and the leaves again when they're healed?

Offline Wikkelsoee

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 09:55:11 PM »
^ But wouldn't the demon get tired very fast if he/she had to heal the host all the time? I can see it working in a emergency but not as a method of treatment.
It's very good point, though.

Offline NeeNee

• Administrator
  • Senior First Class
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 10:32:14 PM »
^ Well, I didn't say it would be cheap. But for people with injuries that otherwise wouldn't heal (say, paralysed from a broken spine), I think it would be a pretty lucrative business for any demon interested in human money... or whatever else he wants for his services.

... This just got creepy, didn't it? :-\

Offline Wikkelsoee

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 06:51:13 AM »
^ Very creepy. But interesting. I actually want to see that at some point now.